Trailer Trash

Really?!? Monday? (Read 31 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers!

today's a rest day, but got in a good weekend of running (for me).  7.5 miles in Rock Creek parky-including the section  that I think of as the 'haunted' trail, where an intern was killed (and her disappearance infamously destroyed the political career of her lover/senator).  almost 15 years later and it is still creepy.  I have a friend that insists it is haunted.   But it is a great trail so I do run it fairly regularly. Sunday's slogfest was a slow, flat 5 miles on the paved rail trail.

qotd:  run any trails that have a 'history' or are haunted in some way?

AT-runner

Tim

Good morning to all.  I was AWOL last week while on vacation in Myrtle Beach.  Had some terrible runs while away, due to the hot humid weather.  It was 85 degrees by 8:00 am, so no chance to avoid the heat.   We did get in 1 trail run on some single track Mt Bike trails.

Back to my trails yesterday, and DW and I got in a nice run.  Saw 3 horsey people who were surprised to see us running, but they were very friendly.  We talked for a while and then one asked us where we were parked.  When we told him, he said "that's over 5 miles away".  I said "yea, it's just an easy run today".

QOTD:  I think all of Gettysburg is haunted, so anytime I'm in the battlefield I keep an eye out.  Also run on a logging road called Dead Women Hollow that has a pretty good ghost tale about it.

runtraildc - I've run by that section on RC Park where Chandra Levy was found.  It is creepy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

SRD.

qotd: Not that I am aware of...

tbd.

XtremeTaper

Good morning all!

30 miles for me yesterday around Blue Marsh Lake. Did the entire lake loop. Lots of horsey people encounters, including a group of 5 of so riders galloping away at a nice clip. Nearly mowed me over. Thankfully I heard them ahead of time. A bit jealous of all the boater out on the lake cooling off but the weather for August was pretty fantastic for running. High 70's with a nice NW breeze. I lucked out on that as I got a late start. Will run 7 or so miles tonight with the dog.

QOTD: No haunted runs that I know about but the horseshoe trail that I often run on I guess has been around for awhile and in fact starts off in ValleyForge park climbing up Mt. Misery.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

A rest day for me after a thorough trashing of my legs over the weekend. Well maybe some weights and a light elliptical to make sure I'm alive.  A wet day here anyway.

QOTD==Nice question.  The only semi-creepy place I've run that I can think of right now is a spot on the cliffs of the Pictured Rocks where a guy pushed his wife off and she fell to her death. The story was a Dateline show a few years back and you can still see it on the old internet.

I would think running thru Gettysburg would be an experience. We have a civil war cemetary in Madison, which I have run thru from time to time and I always slow down sometimes to a walk and pay tribute and reflect on their time. It's eerie.

NorthernHarrier

. A bit jealous of all the boater out on the lake cooling off but the weather for August was pretty fantastic for running. High 70's with a nice NW breeze. 

So says the guy with the cement pond in the backyard!   Cool

moonlightrunner

The Pointer and I were up at 5 this morning for a run. It was really dark and creepy. I m lo:Surprisedking at new handhelds and headlamps...I need something REALLY bright...my old eyes struggle to see.  It was still a great run...just slow because I run cautious in the dark.

Qotd: no stories...but I'm pretty sure it is haunted....creepy creepy.....Pointer barks randomly....I think she can see the ghosts.

I think I recall the intern story. I think she was murdered by a serial killer.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Messenjah

23 miles yesterday (2 of those with my 7 year old daughter).

QOTD: When it's dark I tend to think more trails are haunted Smile

LB2

I had a nice trail work morning on Saturday; then, I ran a loop on that trail. We skipped church on Sunday for a number of reasons, but I did run about 1:15 on Sunday morning, with each loop faster than the previous loop. After the run, I cooked everyone a nice breakfast of pancakes. This evening, I will probably run about an hour, creeping back upward slowly. I have nothing major on the horizon, so I will continue to just enjoy myself with no pressure until January when I start pushing harder and longer.

QOTD: No haunted trails, but I do try to get myself worked up into a terrified frenzy when I run at night. I like to let my imagination run away with me.

LB2

sugnim

Good morning all.  I got a nice 6 miles in this morning before work.  I ended up skipping my long run this weekend as we are getting the room ready for the baby (9 more weeks!).  I ended up selling all of my books, literally thousands of them, some of which I've had since I was a teenager.  The library is now officially the baby's room.  I only kept the children's literature and a dictionary.

QOTD:  There was a serial killer in our town during the 70's & 80's by the name of Wayne Nance.  One of his victims was nick-named Deer Creek Debbie because she was found buried near Deer Creek and they did not know her identity until DNA testing revealed who she was just a couple of years ago.  Anyway, when she was found, part of her body was sticking out of the ground & a hiker called the police.  that was during winter, and the ground was frozen solid.  They had to bring in huge heaters to thaw the soil and the corpse so that they could dig her out.  Whenever I run in that area, I think of Deer Creek Debbie.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A nice easy weekend - an hour Saturday morning.  I wanted so badly to get out and run yesterday but just wasn't meant to be.  Got in 200 floors of climbing on the stair machine though.  Another hour in this morning.

XT - what are you running this fall? I know you thought about a 100 and most people don't just randomly run 30 miles around Blue Marsh for the heck of it.  Come on...tell us...

QOTD: I think any trail can seem haunted when running at night or after many hours.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

Easy week for me with too much work.

Bride's B-day today. I took her out to dinner last night and gave her a massage since I will likely not be out of work early ....

QOTD: Not that I am aware of, but Lonely trail can be creepy anytime, especially at night. I see remnants of deer left by coyotes and perhaps mountain lions (have stepped on a few front legs on the trail).

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm ready to run again...foot feels fine.  I'm going to do 4 after work.

Qotd: nothing haunted I know of.  Palisades Park has some history to it...it is the point that Washington's Troops crossed the Hudson during their epic retreat to Trenton (and British pursuit).  Also the top of the palisades used to be a "millionaire's row"...there are a bunch of old foundations, left over landscaping plants (40 foot tall yews are most notable), and even a concrete walkway out onto a section of the cliff edge that that was allegedly commissioned by one of the ringling bros (need to fact check this).  There is also a backstop from a baseball field that was accessible only by ferry from NYC or a staircase up/down 500' of elevation in a 1/2 mile...not ADA compliant.

**Ask me about streaking**

XtremeTaper

XT - what are you running this fall? I know you thought about a 100 and most people don't just randomly run 30 miles around Blue Marsh for the heck of it.  Come on...tell us...

Boyjame.. my tag line gives a pretty big hint! Technically a summer race however.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Snowdenrun

Morning!

Taking a few rest day. I fell like running today, but I also feel like being lazy. Maybe just a walk with the dog and pick up running again tomorrow.

QOTD: SItka's such a historic town that there are pieces of history everywhere. I haven't heard of any haunted stories, but I'm sure there are some.