Trailer Trash

Salomon/Hydrapak O-rings (Read 31 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

When I attached the "plug and play" adapter on my Salomon pack today the o-ring pinched and deformed making it useless (nothing like 1.5L of icy water slowly leaking down your ass in freezing temps while you run...or not having any h20 for the 2nd half of 19 miles).  Anyways, I have done some research into what o-ring I need to find to replace it and I'm coming up with nada.  I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of what o-ring I need or a good place to purchase o-rings (food grade I'm guessing? hardware store?).

**Ask me about streaking**

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

I found an assortment kit at Home Depot.  It might have the right size...

If you can get a good measurement, you can get  them from Grainger.

Does Salomon have repair parts Online?

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

AT-runner

Tim

Volunteer at an AS and fill packs.  When one come in like yours just switch out the O-ring. Problem solved. 

Otherwise, jbyram2 is right.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I contacted Hydropak (who makes the bladders for Salomon) and they said they would mail me one (free of charge).  I don't think it hurt that I mentioned the variety of their products I already own (soft flasks).  According to them they are a custom size (looks like hydropak has an o-rings division...seriously).  They also provided this piece of advice:

Recommended Lubrication:

We recommend that silicone, glycerin, or bees wax be used on the o-ring.  Do not use olive oil, coconut oil, or any other types of cooking oil as they cause the seal to swell and make the system sticky and hard to release.

I will look into races to volunteer at for a spare  and I'll check Home Depot's selection next time I'm there

**Ask me about streaking**

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

AT: I love your practical skills. Now this confirms that my switch to handhelds in races was the right thing to do...

Zilla: If anything breaks on my gear, I always contact the manufacturer, and I have always made a good experience. Usually, they just mail the replacement part for free (sometimes even more than just the needed part), or they give specific information on how and where to get the replacement part.

Run for fun.

Birdwell

I'd recommend looking at your local Hardware store (Ace or similar) before home depot.

I know the Ace down the street from me has over 100 sizes in stock. I'd bet it would be the same for something near you.

(of course, this is all a moot point since they're sending you a new one. I just thought I'd throw something out there to feel involved)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I'd recommend looking at your local Hardware store (Ace or similar) before home depot.

I know the Ace down the street from me has over 100 sizes in stock. I'd bet it would be the same for something near you.

(of course, this is all a moot point since they're sending you a new one. I just thought I'd throw something out there to feel involved)

I support ACE hardware. They gave me the right stuff for my screw shoes.

The point is to stock up on these O-rings, just in case the new one bends again. If it happens once, it might happen again.

Run for fun.

Birdwell

One last thing, I wouldn't doubt them about the o-rings being a custom size.

They're most likely metric, and while it may be possible to find something close, I've learned with small o-rings close=leaks.

At work we have 250+ sizes of o-rings (some vendor comes in and stocks our shop every other week, I feel bad for the guy). Each time I've needed one in the last 4 months, I've had to order it because close wasn't close enough.