Trailer Trash

Compression calf sleeves (Read 47 times)

Messenjah

I have been wearing calf sleeves for the better part of 3 years now primarily on long runs.There are some runs where I think that they help after but others I don't necessarily notice the "promised affect". I have been looking at race photos recently of some of the recent races (Rocky, Grand Canaria, Coastal Challenge, etc) and have noticed not as many people are wearing them WHILE they run but are wearing them after.

If you wear or have worn them, do you find more benefit wearing them from the beginning completely through the race, putting them on somewhere in the middle of a race or just putting them on directly after?

I use compression socks, not sleeves. But I rarely wear them during runs. Usually they are recovery only for me. I don't find a real benefit to wearing them during a run.

SillyC

Love them for after a run, but during I find that they kinda itch.

Occasional Runner

I wear them on all my long runs and I definitely notice a difference.

Here's a piece I worked on with Zensah.

http://blog.zensah.com/2013/12/17/100-mile-win-in-ultra-compression-leg-sleeves-by-kelly-agnew/

Messenjah

Just out of curiosity Lace, you say that you wear them on all of your long runs. What are you considering long? >20?, >30? Do you run shorter distances wearing them too?

LB2

I don't wear them, but I think they work. I have used compression stockings for recovery, but I have never worn them to run. I probably need to get some.

LB2

Occasional Runner

20 miles or more. I might pull them on for 15, but not usually. After REALLY long runs, I keep them on for a few hours after I finish, if I can.

Occasional Runner

I have used compression stockings for recovery, but I have never worn them to run.

AKA...pantyhose.

Messenjah

When I did the 24 hour event last fall (Saturday morning into Sunday morning), I did keep them on all day Sunday and took them off Monday morning. You say here that you keep them on for a few hours. Do you have an indicator in your brain when your body says that it's time to take them off? Sorry for all of the questions, not many people that I run with wear them...primarily because no one I hang out with runs more than 10k's

20 miles or more. I might pull them on for 15, but not usually. After REALLY long runs, I keep them on for a few hours after I finish, if I can.

SillyC

AKA...pantyhose.

Not sure what LB2 has, but I have a pair of the meanie nasty ones that cover the whole foot - the kind you can get at CVS for $60.  They work way better for post-race swelling than the Zensahs but are tight, tight, tight and itchy itchy itchy.  I can't take those for more than a couple of hours before they drive me nuts.

Occasional Runner

When I did the 24 hour event last fall (Saturday morning into Sunday morning), I did keep them on all day Sunday and took them off Monday morning. You say here that you keep them on for a few hours. Do you have an indicator in your brain when your body says that it's time to take them off? Sorry for all of the questions, not many people that I run with wear them...primarily because no one I hang out with runs more than 10k's

No, there aren't any rules or indicators I use. I am a huge believer in the healing benefits of blood flow, so I do whatever I can to increase it. I just keep the sleeves on for as long as I can stand the filth and smell.

Sandy-2

I don't where my calf compression sleeves while running, only for a few hours after longer runs (usually 20 miles or more).  I don't have a set time that I keep them on for, just a few hours I guess.

tbd.

LB2

Not sure what LB2 has, but I have a pair of the meanie nasty ones that cover the whole foot - the kind you can get at CVS for $60.  They work way better for post-race swelling than the Zensahs but are tight, tight, tight and itchy itchy itchy.  I can't take those for more than a couple of hours before they drive me nuts.

That is what I have ^^^^. Ok. I got some Pantyhose!!! I have a sports bra, too!!!

LB2

LB2

AKA...pantyhose.

Hahaha, what an asshole!!!

LB2

Low_O2

I started wearing calf sleeves last year after getting a slight calf strain. They definitely seemed to help with that. Without the sleeves it was difficult to complete any runs without pain, but while wearing them I was able to continue running with only minimal discomfort. I wore them for almost all my runs up until just a couple months ago. I thought they felt good and prevented the bouncing of the calf muscles that I imagine could contribute to fatigue after a while. I started to wean myself off of them, because it got to a point where I was scared to run without them and I haven't had any issues in my current build up not wearing them. So, I'm not sure if they help on normal runs(although I do think they felt good to wear) but really seemed to help get through a calf strain. I will have to experiment with wearing them after my long runs and see if I notice a benefit.