Trailer Trash

Sad Tornado Tuesday (Read 39 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Hope everyone is alright in OK.  Very sad pictures and news.

Going for 8 easy miles today.  Probably a non technical section along the ski trails.

QOTD:  What is the worst weather situation you have personally experienced.

We were in Ocean City, MD and rode out Hurricane Carmen as it past right up the coast (1974).  This was before the forced evacuation days, and very few people left or went to shelters.  We have 8mm film of the waves breaking out away from shore toward the storm.  I was a pre-teen and my older brother and I thought it would be fun to go outside in the wind.  We fell over twice trying to get back inside and then we faced "hurricane dad".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

dpc3

Morning folks, lunch time stroll for me today on a some nice flat roads.

QOTD: A Couple hurricanes and wildfires

Birdwell

Morning folks!

got out for an easy 5

QOTD: heat waves, prolonged drought. I've lived in the southwest for much of my life, and thats about all we ever get out here.

Occasional Runner

Just got in from 11 on the trails. It's a picture perfect day in the Wasatch.

QOTD: A couple of hurricanes while we lived in Florida.

Morning all. Been quite a rough morning so far as my dog was sick and kept us up half the night. Though it seems quite trivial to complain about that when so many are suffering in OK.

Today is a SRD. I ran last night in our first  hot and humid night of the season. Needless to say, I also had my first asthma attack of the season. At least race day (Sunday) is looking cooler.

QOTD:  I guess the most recent Northeastern hurricanes are the worst I've seen (Sandy and Irene).

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all.

will hit the gym this afternoon for another go at "Murph"- a mile run followed by 300 squats, 200 pushups and 100 pullups and finally another mile run- for time.  last time I did it I was at 41 minutes, going to try to get under 40 minutes this time 

yesterday- I did get it done under 40, but barely 39:23- it thoroughly kicked my arse! Big grin

the rain has stopped, but the mud will linger for a couple of more days- so I'll either do some interval training at the track or some hill work on the stair climber- neither is appealing

qotd: worse weather related incident for me was probably dumping a canoe in the Bighorn River in December (duck hunting)- couldn't get a fire started (learned some valuable lessons that day) so we were forced to canoe six more miles to our vehicle very much suffering from hypothermia

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Morning all. Easy 8 planned after work today.

qotd: Just some hurricanes here in MD/PA but nothing too serious. Just a little bit of wind.

DigDug2

5 on road/rail trail this a.m. - getting hot and humid in CT this week.

QOTD:  Hurricanes, snowstorms and related power-outages, but nothing where I ever really feared for my safety.

XtremeTaper

Really sad about the OK tornadoes. I have family in the state but no one in the impacted areas.

Yesterday was judgement day for me for Laurel Highlands. I've had a busy 4 weeks, my running had been down mileage wise, my SI joint had been acting up again, blah blah blah. The chiro adjusted me up last week but with volunteering at MMT I only had time for a short run out there. I had the day off yesterday and the plan was to attempt a 4-5 hour run at French Creek. The day was warm and humid which is sort of ideal training for a June ultra in PA. I went in with the mindset to run purposefully slow and easy. I need not burn up the pace. I just needed to get through the run. The forest was so green and lovely, full of spring smells, birds talking, and the trail was damp and soft. Even with the purposefully slow pace I found myself getting to trail junctions in decent time. I looped back to the car after 13-14 mile in 2:45, fueled up with a pbj and some fluids, and head out for another ~ 2 hour loop. I actually extended the second loop to get closer to 5 hours. When I finished up, I wasn't sore, wasn't particularly bushed and in fact went home and mowed the yard and weeded some flower beds. I think maybe I am good to go line up at LH.

QOTD: The storm that sticks out to me is a July 4th severe  t-storm that came across Lake Erie when I lived in Ohio as a kid in 69'. Power loss, flooding, heavy winds, nearby tornadoes, etc. Granted I was a young whipper snapper but when my uncle left the house in a hurry when the darkness came in the late afternoon it sort of scared me.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

muppy

Planned on 10, but cut it to 6

For the past few weeks I've been getting very tight calves, a severe burning sensation, when I start running, I need stop walk and stretch them a few times to get them loose.  Not sure why it's happening, just plain old sucks!  Started cholesterol meds few weeks ago and stopped them on Sunday thinking its from that, other than that I have no idea?

Feel so bad for all the families in Oklahoma, can't imagine if something happened to my son.

QOTD Just a few mild hurricanes every year. Worst problem in my town is sink holes opening up all over.

Chnaiur

Day 4 out of 5 with no training. Agreed with DW that I get to take a weekend off for running in 2 weeks! Now looking for a good 40-50 mile loop in the Sierras that I can do with a light backpack.

Weather: what would stand out to the people here is probably some experiences with -40F cold, but that didn't feel out of control at the time. Nothing really stands out in my mind.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Ultra Cowboy

Ran 9.5 last night with 1250 of elevation gain. Took 3.25 uphill miles of roads to get to the trail, then ran 3 miles of road downhill getting back.

QOTD:  Worst weather was really nothing serious.  Winter Storms with flooding of the creek when high tide came.  This was 2010. 1986 might have been worse...

WYBMADIITY

Save

Occasional Runner

Yesterday was judgement day for me for Laurel Highlands. I've had a busy 4 weeks, my running had been down mileage wise, my SI joint had been acting up again, blah blah blah. The chiro adjusted me up last week but with volunteering at MMT I only had time for a short run out there. I had the day off yesterday and the plan was to attempt a 4-5 hour run at French Creek. The day was warm and humid which is sort of ideal training for a June ultra in PA. I went in with the mindset to run purposefully slow and easy. I need not burn up the pace. I just needed to get through the run. The forest was so green and lovely, full of spring smells, birds talking, and the trail was damp and soft. Even with the purposefully slow pace I found myself getting to trail junctions in decent time. I looped back to the car after 13-14 mile in 2:45, fueled up with a pbj and some fluids, and head out for another ~ 2 hour loop. I actually extended the second loop to get closer to 5 hours. When I finished up, I wasn't sore, wasn't particularly bushed and in fact went home and mowed the yard and weeded some flower beds. I think maybe I am good to go line up at LH.

I registered for it but decided to back out last week. The logistics just weren't working in my favor. I'll just be getting back from South Africa and would have to turn right around the next day and fly to PA, then make the drive to Ohiopyle. Then I would have had to rush back to Utah as soon as the race finished. I'm bummed to be missing it because so many of my running friends will be there. I hope you have fun and do well.

XtremeTaper

I registered for it but decided to back out last week. The logistics just weren't working in my favor. I'll just be getting back from South Africa and would have to turn right around the next day and fly to PA, then make the drive to Ohiopyle. Then I would have had to rush back to Utah as soon as the race finished. I'm bummed to be missing it because so many of my running friends will be there. I hope you have fun and do well.

Bummer. Your schedule is nuts though. THe jetlag alone would have made it difficult!

Good to see Jimmy finally get his win at MMT. He looked very fresh when he came through our aid station at 78 miles and had an hour+ lead at that time. A lot of Pacers made the trip. MMT, feels like a local race even though it's 5 hours away.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

Bummer. Your schedule is nuts though. THe jetlag alone would have made it difficult!

Good to see Jimmy finally get his win at MMT. He looked very fresh when he came through our aid station at 78 miles and had an hour+ lead at that time. A lot of Pacers made the trip. MMT, feels like a local race even though it's 5 hours away.

Yeah, it had a huge Pacer turnout. I've been watching the posts on their Facebook page. And Beth Auman did an amazing job too. She's really made big gains in her running. She and Mike Yoder were running the BRR50 together last year and she was dogging me all day. That girl is really impressive. And I'm really happy for Jimmy. He's an amazing runner and such a great guy. I don't think anybody deserved a win at MMT more than him.