Trailer Trash

WS 100 qualifier dilemma (Read 57 times)

Watoni

Following up on today's QOTD about injuries, my injury at what was to be my WS 100 qualifier in June has me just ramping up some miles now, but still quite low.

It looks as if the only real qualifiers in question (both of which mean missing Halloween with the kids) would be:

Pinhoti or Javelina

I am going to try the North Face 50 mile race in Park City in early October, and if I survive that then probably try one of those two races.

On paper Javelina is easier, but a tough point to point race also sounds pretty cool.

Thoughts on either race?

Occasional Runner

I'll tell you Javelina and Burke will tell you Pinhoti. So as far as that goes, I guess it depends on who you trust more. So I guess I'll see you at Javelina.

And I'll also be working an aid station at your 50 miler.

dpc3

My injury has me planning for 2015 so I've got my eyes set on Javelina 2015 but not as a WS qualifier more like first ever 100. I'll give you my opinion after Burke chews my ear off in the Gila mountains this spring while out looking for ol' Tom and running some trails.

Sandy-2

I did Pinhoti two years ago.  Burke told me about it so I went for it.  I prefer point-to-point run on mostly single track, so this one was right up my alley.  The woods and views are really great, and you are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere the whole time.  I loved it.

It is a great run, but it's not a gimmie.  The trail is quite squirrelly and there are a lot of rocks and roots.  The other thing is those turns, ups, downs, rocks and roots are under a few inches of fallen leaves since the thing is run in the fall.  My ankles took a while to recover from that one.

If it is any indication I did Pinhoti about 1.5 hours faster than Leadville.

I haven't done Javelina so I can't help you there.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Watoni

I did Pinhoti two years ago.  Burke told me about it so I went for it.  I prefer point-to-point run on mostly single track, so this one was right up my alley.  The woods and views are really great, and you are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere the whole time.  I loved it.

It is a great run, but it's not a gimmie.  The trail is quite squirrelly and there are a lot of rocks and roots.  The other thing is those turns, ups, downs, rocks and roots are under a few inches of fallen leaves since the thing is run in the fall.  My ankles took a while to recover from that one.

If it is any indication I did Pinhoti about 1.5 hours faster than Leadville.

I haven't done Javelina so I can't help you there.

Totally hear you on point-to-point ....

Lace, what makes Javelina cool given it is a loop course? Sorry, just asking

Occasional Runner

Lace, what makes Javelina cool given it is a loop course? Sorry, just asking

It has the most festive atmosphere of any race I've ever run. There's a great mix of elite runners, first timers and everything in between, but everyone seems to be there to have fun. Alternating directions on each loop really adds to the social entertainment because you're constantly engaging people during the race and getting a lot of encouragement. Nobody puts on a better race than Aravaipa. This will be my 4th finish. I'm aiming for 5 and then I'll decide if I want to keep running it.

Watoni

It has the most festive atmosphere of any race I've ever run. There's a great mix of elite runners, first timers and everything in between, but everyone seems to be there to have fun. Alternating directions on each loop really adds to the social entertainment because you're constantly engaging people during the race and getting a lot of encouragement. Nobody puts on a better race than Aravaipa. This will be my 4th finish. I'm aiming for 5 and then I'll decide if I want to keep running it.

Oh, well. JJ is sold out.

Occasional Runner

Oh, well. JJ is sold out.

That says a lot for the race.

Watoni

That says a lot for the race.

And very little about me. It did not seem as if it was close to selling out earlier in the week and I was trying to work out logistics around my son's b-day .... &^^%$%!

LB2

I think you should definitely go for it at Pinhoti. I DNF'd it in 2012, and I couldn't get back over there in 2013. I ran the Mt. Cheaha 50K in February, which is on the same course but in reverse. Cheaha runs north from Porter's Gap back to the top of Mt. Cheaha. It has a little over 7K in gain, which seemed pretty substantial to me. The Pinhoti course runs from Pine Glen campground in Heflin back to the south to Syllacauga. Most of the climbing comes between miles 36 and 75, but the course really has a lot of ups, downs, twists, and turns. I think the total elevation gain is a little over 14K, but some conflicting reports list it as 16,180 up and 16,450 or so down.

I think it is very doable if you can maintain your focus, like any other race. I just had a complete meltdown fairly early in the race. Then, I got overheated; then, I ran out of water; then, I got pissed off; then, I sat down. And finally, I just said screw it. I got to the Blue Mountain/CC road aid station and sat down. Several of us were told we couldn't drop there. But we did. We waited on the sweeper for a little over an hour. It was too late when I realized that I was actually getting better, and I should have continued on. I know I run well at night, but I just gave up. It wasn't the "right decision"; it wasn't the "smart thing" to do. But, I think everyone should take at least one DNF at a 100 mile race and an ass whipping in their life to build character.

There are about 40 spots left for Pinhoti. Do it!!! Good race, well organized, and fun.

LB2

Occasional Runner

And very little about me. It did not seem as if it was close to selling out earlier in the week and I was trying to work out logistics around my son's b-day .... &^^%$%!

The WAIT LIST is open now. If you get on, I'm 100% certain you'll get to run the race if that's what you want.

Watoni

The WAIT LIST is open now. If you get on, I'm 100% certain you'll get to run the race if that's what you want.

On the wait list for the 100 miler -- 90 spots left for the 100km

I might sign up for Pinhoti too just in case, but the logistics of that one are tough for me -- go waitlist!

Occasional Runner

On the wait list for the 100 miler -- 90 spots left for the 100km

I might sign up for Pinhoti too just in case, but the logistics of that one are tough for me -- go waitlist!

If we get within a couple of weeks before the race and you're still not off the waitlist, let me know.

Watoni

If we get within a couple of weeks before the race and you're still not off the waitlist, let me know.

Thanks!

LB2

If you do decided to do Pinhoti, let me know. We may be able to help with a ride or whatever to and from the airport. You may have to sit around the finish line for quite awhile. You are probably faster than me, but I'll be there, eventually. Just let me know.

LB2