Trailer Trash

When did you decide or feel you were ready for ultras? (Read 72 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'll be honest, one of my long term goals - before I am 30 years old - is to be running ultras. I know it won't be next year, and 2015 will most likely be the year for first 26.2 mile distance, but someday I want to be running 50ks, 50 milers, 100ks and 100 mile races. I'm just curious as to how some of you knew when you were ready for those longer distances, your experiences along the way, mistakes and what you learned from them. Smile

1.   When, in your running journey, did you feel ready for ultras?
    2. When did you start amping up your mileage and training with plans of running ultras?
    3. How did you start preparing and experimenting with fuel? 
    4. Was there an injury (serious or slightly serious) or were there many before, during training and during your first ultra?
    5. While out there, did you start to feel doubts that your body was capable? 
    6. How long after your first were you ready for another?
    7. Did you make any mistakes, did you learn from them?

I had more questions, but my toddler demands my attention. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Daydreamer1

1.    Mentally I was ready shortly after starting trail running. Physically it was about a year later after completing my first trail marathon.

2     As soon as I started trail running. I'm not a fan of prescribed plans, such as 5 and 10ks one year, progress to 1/2 marathons the next, then  to marathons etc. Everybody is different in how fast they can progress and the challenges they will face.

3.     I started as soon as I started running over 10 miles, which was as soon as I started trail running (my 3rd trail run was 13.1 miles). If one food doesn't seem to work for me I try something else, sometimes based on things I have read here. I've used regular foods and prepared performance products. You just have to try things to see what works for you. Again everyone is different.

4.    Some knee tendonitis that slowed me during my marathon. Came from hiking on off camber trails. Badly twisted ankle this year.

5.    Anything over 15-18 miles I have stomach issues. This makes me wonder if I will be able to find the right fueling strategy to allow me to complete longer ultras.

6.   Mentally and physically about 1 week later. Again it all revolves around the stomach issues.

7.   Fueling is my big problem. If you consider anything that I have tried that didn't work a mistake, then I've made quite a few. I feel my biggest mistake is not eating enough and not eating sooner. A huge mistake that I feel I made was that this year I focused on just running long. I spent very little time on the bike and virtually no time strength training or doing speed work. At the end of my last race I evaluated my year and came to the conclusion that my body felt fat and out of shape even though my weight was not really up, my leg turn over sucked. New training plans include more bike time, speed work on the treadmill and upper body and core training. After three weeks of this I'm already running stronger on my short runs.

I'm 48 and have been a cyclist for years but only recently started serious running. Prior to the summer of 2011 the only time I ran was during the winter to supplement the biking. Then it was mostly 4.5 or 6.3 mile loops that I had measured out on the roads around my house.  When I decided to start trail running I started out running 13-15 miles on a regular basis. I had absolutely no problems with this in regards to my legs and feet. It is only when I go over this distance that I have problems with my stomach. It seems I have a lot of acid production that rears it ugly head if I don't eat enough or right. So far I've completed one marathon in 2012 and a marathon and a 50k this year, a week apart. All on trails. I was signed up for a 100k but took a DNS due to lack of training from the ankle issue and the stomach issues.

Spend a lot of time reading here, you'll learn a lot. But just keep in mind that what works for someone else may not work for you. You may have to blend a lot of ideas together to come up with your own formula.  And don't get caught in the trap of following someone else's timetable for you (see #2 above). If you have the desire to run an ultra start increasing your miles and listen to your body.

Hope this helps.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

1) I ran for about 1/2 of the year in 2011, started tracking my mileage and racing in 2012.  I ran my first and 2nd 50k's this year (April and October) and I'm signed up for a 50 miler in October.

I decided to run a 50k after training for a marathon all winter.  I ended up with some tendonitis in my feet from the marathon training and the whole plan fell apart.  I opted out of the marathon because I wasn't going to be able to hit the paces I wanted and the whole being obsessed with pace thing was getting old.  I had it in my head that I wanted to do a 50k or a trail marathon.  My GF planned a girls trip for late April so I found a race to keep me busy that weekend and it was a 50k.

2) I never really amped up my mileage.  I've never been able to sustain more than 45mpw for any amount of time.

3) I started preparing by doing some 20+ mile runs and shifting about 30-50% of my weekly mileage to trails.  I haven't experimented much with nutrition, but using a handheld with a Hammer perpetuem mix and a hydration pack of water works for me for 5 hours without much issue.

4) I always develop TMTS type injuries (mostly foot tendonitis type stuff) due to a lack of consistency and not adjusting accordingly, but nothing serious.

5) Not really, I had done 25 miles on similar terrain before and I could wrap my head around the extra 6 before I went into the race.

6) 5 months.

7) Yes

Buy John M.'s book Wink

**Ask me about streaking**

Uh oh... now what?

1. I have been somewhat apprehensive of every ultramarathon starting line I have approached. I think my first DNF came about the time I felt I was ready for these things.
          2. August 04, 1985 -- first time I saw a copy of UltraRunning magazine.
          3. Eating/drinking a lot of different things?
          4. Almost serious Achilles strain in August '85... before, sure.
          5. During the first one? No, it was a 10-lap 50k, basically ran faster every lap--had no idea what I was doing, haven't progressed much.
          6. First was January 4th, second was February 1st (same year).
          7. Yes. No, at least no enough to keep me from making many of them again.

addena:  I took too long.  There were no responses when I started, distraction of listening to the Seahawks not taking the Rams seriously.  Thank you for the recommendation(s) and comment on my book.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

1. About this time last year after cheering and crewing for friends at NC24 after 44 years of running

2. Late this past March after I finished my indoor track season racing at 800m and the mile.

3. Read a lot, asked friends, talked with my coach, experimented.

4. No injuries during or after, or in the preceding 15 months. Prior to that I had been plagued with various hip problems for 3-4 years.

5. Yes, if you mean during training. I hit a low point at the end of July. By race day, though, my coach had me feeling ready. If you mean during the race, I had periods where I felt I had to adjust my pace and slow down if I wanted to still be on my feet at the end of the 12 hours. Technically and officially I fell .4 miles short of my 50 mile goal for 12 hours but I was thrilled with what I'd done anyway

6. While I'm not ready to run another this weekend, I was already planning what I wanted to do next immediately after the race.

7. Yes, I made mistakes, but probably very few for a novice. I'm trying to learn from them but won't know how well I've learned my lessons until I'm back out on the course in my next ultra race. Most of my mistakes involved hydration and fueling.

If you really want to know all the details, I suggest you read my blog entries on RW. Link to the RR blog entry which has links at the top to the previous 5 blog posts.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

I'll be honest, one of my long term goals - before I am 30 years old - is to be running ultras. I know it won't be next year, and 2015 will most likely be the year for first 26.2 mile distance, but someday I want to be running 50ks, 50 milers, 100ks and 100 mile races. I'm just curious as to how some of you knew when you were ready for those longer distances, your experiences along the way, mistakes and what you learned from them. Smile

2. When did you start amping up your mileage and training with plans of running ultras?
              4. Was there an injury (serious or slightly serious) or were there many before, during training and during your first ultra?

1. I trained for and raced marathons for 4-5 years. I started reading about ultras after my 2nd marathon, and my interest was piqued. However I was always chasing that marathon PR. Came up short of the PR (close but no cigar) a bunch of times for various reasons. In 2007 I really wanted to pull the plug and sign up for an ultra. I told myself I had to update my marathon PR first. I ran the Ocean Drive Marathon that year in late March. Horrible 20mpw headwinds (point to point course) for the entire distance. I crossed the line right near my marathon PR time. Results posted the next day. I set a PR by one second. The gods cut me a break and I was allowed to move on to the ultra world.

2. I had been ramping up my mileage for 4-5 years. By the time I started training for ultras I was comfortable with 7 days of running and 60-75 mile weeks.

3. Long training runs I'd hit convenience stores. we'd have snacks in the car, or aid drop locations. Found out I could eat about anything really. Rice crispie treats seemed pretty good at first. Sometime Christmas cookies. Always a few gels but I'd already been used to those from my marathon days.

4. I started training for my first ultra coming off of PF. Once it faded away, my first training ultra cycle might have been my best ever. Also the most fun.

5. No. I am a stubborn optimist. I gained confidence as the run progressed and trusted my training and fitness.

6. About 7-8 weeks. My first ultra was a 50k that I was using as an intermediary/goal race for a 50 miler.

7. I've made plenty of mistakes since, but I pretty much nailed that first training cycle and race series. My biggest mistakes have been in 100 mile races. Feet. Socks. Shoes. Last time too much salt I think. I still finished those races though. Always stuff to learn.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

1. I've never felt truly ready.

2. I never changed my mileage with an eye toward running ultras, I just run as much and as far as I have time and fitness to handle.

3. I mimicked others then threw all that out the window. I'm still experimenting and probably always will be.

4. I haven't been injured since I began running ultras.

5. Every. Single. Time.

6. Almost immediately.

7. I make a mistake every time I run long and I like to think I learn from them all.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

When, in your running journey, did you feel ready for ultras?
                  I never planned to run ultras. I just saw a race with a nice course, signed up and ran it.
                  That said, I have always been an endurance runner since I started at the age of 10 (now I'm 48), and therefore I had always eyed with running long distances, but I never thought I'd be able to even complete a half marathon.
                  So I ran "for fun", my distances increased because I felt good on long runs, so I made them longer.

When did you start amping up your mileage and training with plans of running ultras?
                  Never had a plan, never followed one, not for developing my ultra "career", nor for training.
                  After having started up again in October 2009 (after an extended break due to pregnancies and nursing), it took me a year to run a half marathon in a race, even though I had run similar distances (up to 12 miles) on my own before. 
                  Then I ran distances up to 30k for a year (alone, and a few races), mostly due to time constraints. I was not ready to take the time away from my family and my kids, who were still very young then.
                  In April 2012, I ran my first 50k. I had decided to run that race (and distance) 3 months before the start.
                  In October 2012, I ran my first 50-miler. I had decided to run that race after completing the 50k in April, but "training" was thrown off by pneumonia, bronchitis, and recovery, which took months.
                  ln October 2013 I ran my first 100-miler. I had trained for the 100-miler for 6 months, but not too seriously, to be honest (see my RR of the OC100).

How did you start preparing and experimenting with fuel?
                  This has just gone along with increasing the distances, and fixing problems as they came up. I got input from other users or running friends, researched on the internet, read a lot of scientific research studies on the subject, read race reports, and used my own intuition.
                  In the end, it boiled down to applying the science, and trying out what worked for me. But there's never "one solution" that will work for you every time, so expect not a permanent concept, but leave a lot of wiggle room to wing it when on your run or in a race. 

Was there an injury (serious or slightly serious) or were there many before, during training and during your first ultra?
                  Injury-free (except from falls) all my running career. Sometimes a niggle here and some discomfort there, but nothing that would not heal up soon again. Never had injury problems or significant pain in a race.
                  However, I had trouble recovering from pneumonia and bronchitis before my first 50M, that took at least 10 weeks out of my training period (so in fact, the 6 months of training for the race were reduced to 3 months).

While out there, did you start to feel doubts that your body was capable? 
                  Never happened to me to the point where I seriously thought I wouldn't be able to do it. But I had doubts, especially when there were longer phases where I would feel exhausted from even short runs. I guess this is due to getting closer to your limits in terms of overall training load, which you need in order to build up.
                  I definitely benefitted from the (involuntary) 4-week taper before the race! (the plan was, less than 3 weeks for tapering)

How long after your first were you ready for another?
                  Mentally as soon as I crossed the finish line.
                  I ran my second 50-miler 4 weeks after the first, and it was great.
                  After the 100, I felt physically ready for the next about a week after the race, even though I think some time to continue my routine running, and then some tapering, would be better before heading out for 100 again. I have not run an ultra since the 100M, it's been only 3 weeks since.

Did you make any mistakes, did you learn from them?
                  Too many mistakes to mention. I hope I have learned from them. 

I learned mostly from trying out things because I wanted to change something, or because I had met a dead end and needed to try something new. I learned just as much from other users on this (and the previous not-to-be-mentioned) forum over the years.

I never followed a plan for training, I always just run by feel with a long-term goal in mind. But that goal may be flexible, depending on other constraints.

I also never wear a watch or garmin on my runs, or during races, as this might throw off my "feel" (did I mention I'm focused on numbers, even when I don't know them? Wink .

I know most people use plans when training for specific races or distances, and they follow the plans more or less religiously. That's just not my way of running, it would probably take the fun out of it for me. I just run for fun, as long as I can, and I "train" with the long-term goal in mind, knowing what a training plan would demand for certain weeks, and trying to get in runs of similar distances, while working within my own boundaries (work, family, physical ability,...).

While training for my 100 (the 6 months from April to October), I barely ever got in significant B2B runs, and never did a really long run, the longest distance I managed to do was around marathon distance. I felt pretty bad about that, but I knew I had the experience on long distances from earlier runs and races. I would not recommend it, though, I think the long runs and some B2B's serve not only to build up, but even more to experiment with things, and as a confidence booster.

Some things that might bother you in a race, you'll never encounter in training, especially when it comes to 100 miles. There are several things which just don't show up before mile 85.

Run for fun.

Messenjah

1. I felt like I wanted to do ultras after my first and second marathon debacles. I don't do well in crowds and there were too many people in a marathon for me. It took me almost 2 years though to make the commitment

2. I don't think I necessarily "amped" up my training. I increased it slowly over a long time.

3. It is still a constant experiment

4. I am injury prone. I feel like I am always working through something. That comes with running longer and getting older I guess

5. OH HELL YEAH. Every race. Even if I am really well trained I usually will have doubts.

6. You know, people always say after their first marathon that they never want to do another one and then a few days later they will get the bug. As soon as I got done with my first and saw what my body was capable of I wanted to do another one.

7. See answer number 5 Big grin

LB2

1. When, in your running journey, did you feel ready for ultras?

I was too oblivious (stupid?) to know I wasn't ready. I had only run one half marathon before I signed up for a 50K. I just didn't want to run on the road anymore and figured I would just slow down and eat and drink along the way. But it went pretty well except for one crazy set of muscle spasms

I just took an easy marathon plan and added a few miles to the longest runs.

I stumbled onto a very old web site that had a wealth of information, and then I found this group, which was over on RWOL at the time.

No

I never had any doubts until I got into a situation where I underestimated the course and overestimated my ability. I got a DNF, and I learned more from that than I have anything else. I develop much clearer understandings holding onto a tree while dry heaving than I do running smoothly down the trail. Well, actually, I remember in that 100K race I went through a very low point at about the 50K mark. I quickly rebounded by putting it out my mind that I was only halfway to the end. The down period lasted for quite awhile longer, but I put the doubts about making it completely out of my mind. I just ignored the doubts.

I was pretty sore after that first 50K, and I didn't run another race until December of that year, which was a 100K. I think that is the way it went. But I could have done another ultra much sooner. I just didn't have any close.

That first 50K was a good race for me. But I learned to pay more attention to my electrolytes. I really cramped up badly around 20 miles or so, but I was able to get those under control pretty quickly. But, my quads cramped up to the point that I couldn't move forward. So, I just drank a bunch of HEED and stretched it out next to a pine tree. I lost about 15 minutes there. After that, I had a couple of ultras that went very well, and I had a great deal of confidence going into my second 100 miler. I went into that second 100 in very good shape despite the fact that my long runs were not as frequent as they should have been. Nevertheless, I had the mileage/time on my feet to complete the race without too much suffering. However, the heat and going too fast beat me down. I knew better than to do what I did. And I made some critical decisions that were wrong concerning hydration, pace, time, etc. But, I'll be back at that race next year. Too much going on to get over there this year.

LB2

charlesmoman

My running story is short and late - compared to most runners.

1. At age 58, I retired early from teaching (37 years) and just starting walking and lost some weight. On January 1, 2011, I did my first-ever-in-my-life running event - a 5K. I followed that with many 5Ks and worried about time, pacing, etc. It quickly became less fun. I then did the Indy Mini and did well. My chiropractor told me about an 8-hour ultra "Howl at the Moon" near Danville, IL. It is mostly trail - I almost did a 50k - and it changed my ideas about running. I liked the atmosphere - less pressure - less competitive - just more fun and relaxed. I was hooked. I did do the Monumental Marathon a month after I turned 60 - after that primarily trail events. I accidentally fell into ultras.

2. I was already doing the Galloway run/walk system which many use (in varying iterations) in ultras. I did a lot of reading and really like Bryon Powell's Relentless Forward Progress. When I found out about the inaugural 2013 Indiana Trail 100, I decided to give it a try. I pretty religiously followed one of Powell's training plans. And I probably overtrained for someone of my age and lack of base. I DNF'd at the IT 100, but will be going back this year. Since April, I have done numerous 50ks and 8, 12 and 24-hour timed ultras. Sometimes I am DFL and proud of it!

3. As soon as I began training for the IT 100 I was trying gels, candy and more during my long runs.

4. A little trouble with plantar fasciitis, but overall no real injury issues.

5. Mr. Negative likes to sit on my shoulder and whisper and sometimes shout into my ear that I am stupid to do long miles. That I am fooling myself that I am an ultrarunner. I am getting better and better with ignoring him, but he still gets to me sometimes.

6. The next day. Well . . . once I got over some serious chafing at that first "Howl at the Moon" - huge lesson learned.

7. Chafing (now I use 2Toms Sportshield) - check; weak core (now I work hard on that) - check; blister in a crease of both feet (now I duct tape them) - check; dehydration at North Country Ultra (use a hydration vest and S-caps) - check; wet feet issues (now I always use 2Toms Blistershield powder) - check; sore knees and hips (Hokas have solved that for me) - check.

1. I felt ready for ultras after I ran two road marathons within 3 weeks. I wanted something "more".
                          2. I increased mileage during training for my first 50k. Probably averaging about 10 mpw more than marathon training.
                          3. I came on websites like this (and irunfar.com and read books) and just started eating/drinking different stuff on long runs.
                          4. No injuries, except a few blisters when I wore the wrong socks.
                          5. Yes, I always have doubts at some point during training/racing. I always think my mental fortitude is stronger than my physical, which helps push those doubts aside.
                          6. I signed up for my next ultra the night before my first Smile
                          7. I've made a lot of mistakes. Wearing the wrong socks and not hydrating enough come to mind first. Getting ahead of what my body is prepared for is another. Make sure you check in with your body along the way (whether long term training, or during a race.) It's easy to get swept up in all the excitement of ultras. You have to put in the work. 
                          TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

1.  When, in your running journey, did you feel ready for ultras?

Never felt ready. 

In training for my first marathon I had strange thoughts that I would like to run a 50 miler someday.  It was odd because I was

struggling just to get through training runs of 15-17 miles at the time.

I dunno. Still experimenting.  I once had a really hard time running within 30 minutes of eating.  Now, I eat while I run at times. Still trying to figure out the fueling thing...

I have been struggling with injuries since mid 2012 IMO as a result of higher mileage - although my mileage is low compared to many.  Building a base is vital and strength/core training is just as vital - also IMO

YES...yes....yes.

Ran my second 50k 5 weeks after the first, then my first 50 miler 2 weeks after that.  Can't say I was physically ready but boy it is addictive.

Yes and still do.  I might have learned a little but it's more about the journey than it is the finish line which makes the mistakes more tolerable and realize they are part of the journey.

+1 to John's book.  Great resource about the "journey". 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I have only done 1 ultra, a 50K but it was a challenging one with 12K feet of elevation change. 

When, in your running journey, did you feel ready for ultras?

I run, I don't "journey".  That being said I refused to do an ultra until I had successfully ran what I call a "good" marathon.  I defined "good" as successfully completing the marathon slightly under goal.  The "goal" was calculated from shorter race distances so that I knew what I would be capable of if I put in the training and executed the marathon race correctly.  It took me 4 marathons to get there but I did finally run a "good" marathon late last winter.

When did you start amping up your mileage and training with plans of running ultras?

As I was already averaging 70is miles a week from marathon training, I didn't "amp" my mileage up anymore.  Though I do wish I could have gotten more trail miles in, especially technical trail miles.  I had only run a handful of times on the trails before entering my 50k.

How did you start preparing and experimenting with fuel? 

I didn't, I winged it completely with gels, pretzels and a cliff bar.  Yeah, my stomach didn't feel so good 5 hours into the race.  This is something I'll definitely do better on next time. 

Was there an injury (serious or slightly serious) or were there many before, during training and during your first ultra?

Nope, though I did take a couple of spills during the race itself but nothing more than a couple scrapes. 

While out there, did you start to feel doubts that your body was capable? 

About the time I reached the 5 hour mark my body was ready to quit.  I had never been running that long and my stomach was queezy and legs were cramping.  But I knew I would finish no matter what. 

How long after your first were you ready for another?

As I have only done one I would have to say I could have tackled another about a month later.  In fact my son and I did 17 miles at the Grand Canyon a month later.  But the problem with Phoenix is the heat.  I didn't want to risk heat exhaustion during the summer months.

Did you make any mistakes, did you learn from them?

Two things primarily.  1) Not enough time on the trails before hand (I kind of did it on a whim). 2) Fueling, I just wasn't used to being out there fore 7 hours.

A little unsolicited advice.  Learn to be a better runner at short distances and try your hand at some shorter trail runs (10-20-30K distance) before setting super lofty goals.  I liked my 50K and I plan on doing it again this coming spring.  But I don't think I could ever force myself above 50 miles (and I'm not so sure about the 50 mile thing either).  I just have no desire to get out there and be slogging for the 24-30 hours it would take to do a 100 miler.

You people have issues