Trailer Trash

Let's discuss recovery periods (Read 58 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

many of us have had a pretty busy race season (mine has come to an end) and I for one am contemplating a pullback for a couple of months- is there any evidence that supports the notion of a pullback?  any general guidelines?  am I crazy for even considering such a thing? Big grin

my thought was dialing my weekly mileage back to roughly 25 miles (spring/summer was closer to 35-40)- so about a 25-ish% reduction for a couple of months

would love to hear folk's thoughts on this matter

thanks

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

Every time I decrease my frequency of running I regret it when I decide to ramp back up.  However it does help on the home front, to do some morning things with the kids on Sunday (rather than run) after a long training cycle.  Trade offs I guess.

I am constantly amazed at the rapid pace I seem to lose fitness if I take time off.  I need to find what is reasonable as a maintenance level for me.  Especially with basketball season coming up.

WYBMADIITY

Save

LB2

I try to do any racing I do between November and early March. It works out well for me to take a break at the end of March through the end of April. I may drop back to 20 miles per week and just turkey hunt on the weekends, no running. I don't know what kind of benefits I get, but I do see evidence that any fitness I actually lose or lose mentally I regain very quickly. This year, however, my break was extended due to too many things going on in life that really put the brakes on any runs out past about 10 miles. I don't like that, but I focused on running faster. It seems to have paid off with much better speed than I had this time last year. Personally, I think it is good to take a break and recover. But sometimes, getting back into the groove of things is difficult. I think breaks aid your longevity.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Recovery and maintenance to me are 2 distinct things. Recovery is the period where you are doing exactly that.... letting the body recover from a long/hard effort. Maintenance is a time period where you are just running along feeling fine but not specifically training for anything. Similar to base building but keeping your mileage down.

I guess one could say I'm in a maintenance phase at the moment from Superior100 last month. I moved past recovery now it being more than a month since the race. I don't have any races on the horizon, so am just enjoying running. During my race training I was running about 50-75 mpw. Right now I've only been hitting about 30-40 mpw, but I haven't been doing any "long" runs. I do plan to insert those every once in awhile, so will be closer to 50 during those weeks. I plan to stay in this range for another month or so, maybe getting more into a base building phase in late November/December where I will ramp up the mileage some. 

My take away from all of this... keep a long run in your schedule every 3-4 weeks even when in maintenance mode to keep yourself ready for when you want to get back into training.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

XtremeTaper

Every time I decrease my frequency of running I regret it when I decide to ramp back up.  However it does help on the home front, to do some morning things with the kids on Sunday (rather than run) after a long training cycle.  Trade offs I guess.

In my current "maintenance" phase I am still running 5-6 days/week, but the runs are shorter. So the frequency stays pretty much the same as my 5-7 days when in training.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

In my current "maintenance" phase I am still running 5-6 days/week, but the runs are shorter. So the frequency stays pretty much the same as my 5-7 days when in training.

Hmmm. Good point. That may be the key to me not losing as much as I thought I would this summer.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

maybe maintenance is more accurately what I'm describing/contemplating, although there may be some recovering that goes on when you dial the miles back some????

most of my long runs of late have been in the 16-22 mile range, I'm thinking about cutting those back to 10-12 miles- w/ an occasional longer run thrown in, my mid week runs to 3-6 miles and maybe cutting a day out completely-currently running 5 days a week

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Unless I'm injured, I don't actively switch in recovery periods. I feel that for the body, significant ramping up/ramping down of intensity is not so good in the long term (might damage the heart?). I'm not sure, though, just my opinion. Don't take this as a guideline.

I enjoy what has been called "maintenance" here, that is, taking it more lightly after a goal race for a while, and running just what feels good, not what I think I "should" be doing (long runs, tempo runs, etc). That might include some high mileage or fast, intensive runs, too, but not on a regular basis with a weekly goal. However, I usually find myself back "in the routine", with my usual 4-5 days of running per week, at a mileage similar to what I ran during the training phase for the last race (typically like for a 50k distance), within 2-3 weeks.

I am not sure how to "get down" from the rigorous training for the OC100. I'd like to spend more time with the family, and have some time to relax, so I guess I'll just run less often, and a bit shorter, reducing my mileage by 15-20%, and run maybe a day less per week (although I have to admit, I did not have a strict schedule requiring me to run a certain number of days and miles a week).

I really enjoy running without any (mental) pressure, but I'd like to stay in good shape throughout winter, to get ready for Eastern States, which will be a project over several months anyway.

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

I keep it really simple. I target a daily average and work toward that number. For 2013, I wanted to average 10 miles per day (300+ per month). If I have some long races in a month, I drop my daily mileage to try to stay around my targeted average. I'm probably closer to 12 miles per day, but that's ok too.

TripleBock

I thought we would be talking abour recovery periods bewteen racing.  Last year I raced too often and never hit a full peak / great perfromance.  I had a lot of good performances that took a great effort to get to.  I ended up with > 6,000 miles running for the year (Most ever) and had an OK racing season.

I think I found that like marathon training, I need to have an intelligent build up, that does not include long races to get to a goal race.  Some poeple do well doing marathon - 50M in a build up, I do not.  It might be because I cannot run a race at "Training pace".

So my cycle for 2014

Now - End of November:  Heal injuries, base build, easy trail / hill work ... 60-75% full training mileage (60-80 MPW)

December - Add 2 ultra-training runs for the month (4+ hours), Add striders / hill repeats (Leg speed) Mileage 70-85%

Jan - Start training

*  Including much longer trail / hill sessions

*  Tempos ~ Both Shorter LAT and long tempos

*  Increase ultra workouts 1 @ 4+ hours and 1 @ 6+ hours

*  Mileage up to 80-100% (90-110 MPW)

February 1st ~ 50k trail race (Snow and ice)

March - Find room for some Vo2 work or Critical Velocity(CV) and 2nd half start reducing training stress

April 19th goal race ~ 100k

Then it gets a little dicey ~ But I am going to take the chance on trying to race hard again June 7-8th in a 24 hour race

I think the Feb 50k will be OK - I am a little cautious on winter trail running.

The April and June race are too close together and I will under perform in June.

Then I will just enjoy the summer ~ less training and more just running.

Then try and peak for a late October or November race ... then repeat.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Uh oh... now what?

I don't think I (we) ever went to an "off season" sort of thing.  Running is part of our lives.  My running was five days a week.  Long runs two out of four weekends, a medium run (3-4 hours) one of four weekends, and nothing long one of four weekends.  The "rest and recovery" part was in what determined a long run.  When nothing was on the horizon (entered), five or six hours was good.  If there was a 50-mile or 100k entered, the long run was in the 6-7 hour range.  After that it gets kind of weird.  Nowadays I still do a 3-4 hour run every third or fourth weekend, but am not concerned with the mental burden of speed, tempo, or hard effort hill work.

I had the ongoing recovery thing.  The weeks were in 4-week cycles of hard/hard/medium/easy -- nothing longer than about 90 minutes during the easy week.  I also spoiled the whole purity thing by doing a lot of running and not much racing.

TripleBock

My bigger problem is when I am not training ~ I am mentally on vacation from training and my beer / bad food consumption increases dramatically.  Couple this with less activity = usually 10+ pounds per month.

Uh oh... now what?

My bigger problem is when I am not training ~ I am mentally on vacation from training and my beer / bad food consumption increases dramatically.  Couple this with less activity = usually 10+ pounds per month.

In a life that has always lacked discipline I was amazed at how I learned to eat for endurance running and stuck with it for most of the year, season, or whatever it was called.  There was a time when there were no long events in Washington state during November and December (a marathon not being treated with the appropriate sincerity Big grin Wink.  Snacking returned, 190 became 195 became 200... ha, time to start getting ready for the 50k on that first Sunday in January... thank goodness.

TripleBock

I was between such extremes and on a roller coaster.  I would be fat and out of shape, then have to eat to lose a lot of weight ... usually 30-40 pounds over 3-4 months ... giving up so much and feeling so deprived that when a key event was over, I would go to extreme over-indulgence.

I am trying a new approach as of mid-september and trying to lose weight, but not in an extreme fashion.  It is actually much easier to lose weight when not trying to run 100-150 mile weeks.  Less volume and less intensity, more low impact variety of activities.

To lose weight now, my goal is to get a minimum of 70 miles worth of activities (relate it back to a 70 mile running week in effort and calories burned), through a variety of activities.  Add in consistent weights, core and stretching and lower weekly weight loss totals and I am happier.

I hope I have devised a plan that I can live by (Maybe tweak slightly after at goal weight) from now on.  Sometimes moderation is much more difficult than extreme.

Messenjah

6,000?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? That's BAT SH*T CRAZY!!!Shocked

I ended up with > 6,000 miles running for the year (Most ever) and had an OK racing season.