Trailer Trash

Tips for winter snow running (Read 287 times)

andrew.albright

So you drill up into the bottom of the sole from the outside of the shoe (from the underneath).

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

So you drill up into the bottom of the sole from the outside of the shoe (from the underneath).

correct- the screw head is what is giving you traction

this link will help http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

A drill, and short screws. Those appear to be #8 X 1/2" sheet metal screws, available at your local Home Depot or hardware store for about $6. They don't go all the way through the soles.

1/2in screws come through my soles. I use 3/8in and usually have to hunt for them.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Irish Luck

I always take my closest to retired shoes and screw short (3/8") sheet metal screws in, they last all winter and have never had one pull out

if it's really dangerous footing I use Microspikes, they pretty much blow away any competitor for pull on traction and they aren't too bad to run in

of course if there is really a lot of snow, snowshoes are the ticket Smile

also think about investing in a boot drier, I put them on after a run in the snow, the next morning they are dry and toasy

We absolutely do this in our home. there are plenty of pre-race photos of me with a drill. Power tools + trail running woman = new calendar idea? ;-)

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

If adding screws to your shoes, it's a really tough job with a manual screwdriver.  As others have suggested, use a drill, and a 1/4" socket.  I have a screwdriver set that has a bunch of different heads, so they have a shank which fits into a drill.  Using the drill with the socket, it takes just a minute per shoe to put them in.  I also used the 3/8" screws, size 6. Works great.  For more extreme traction, Kahtoola Microspikes are wonderful!  Oh, don't forget to layer your clothes for warmth, hat and gloves, and don't forget to have fun!!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

We absolutely do this in our home. there are plenty of pre-race photos of me with a drill. Power tools + trail running woman = new calendar idea? ;-)

new year is around the corner- I need a new calendar!

not sure if they've been mentioned, but gaiters to keep the snow out- actually I run year round w/ gaiters to keep dirt/rocks/seeds/debris/aliens etc out Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √