Trailer Trash

Pengelly Double Dip RR (Read 30 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Ran the Pengelly Double Dip on Saturday in Missoula.  It's billed as a long 1/2 (about 14 miles) with about 3000' of elevation gain- it's named after Dave Pengelly of Missoula who died in a mountaineering accident in 2003.  He was an advocate for keeping wild places open in and around Missoula.

I ran this race last year and it kicked my butt pretty good.  Ditto this year.  Much of the elevation gain is single track trail w/ no switchbacks- tip toe steep!  Everything you gain, you lose- which takes a nice toll on your quads.   The run does offer up some great views of the surrounding ranges and the wildflowers were out in full force, that takes a lot of the sting out.

I suffered a heel stress fracture in March and was sidelined from running for over two months, my fitness level was below what it was last year, so my expectations weren't awfully high.  Finish the race w/o injury or incident gaol one and best case scenario finish within 10 minutes of last year.  I got pretty close, time was 15 minutes off of last year's (and no injuries/incidents)

ready to conquer the mountain

conquered by the mountain Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

My sponsor coordinator posted a bunch of pictures from that race. It looks incredible! Congrats on a solid race.

Birdwell

Miles 4 through 7 look fun. 1500 feet in three miles?

Thats a solid hill workout.

good job!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Two months off is a long time right before you race.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

LB2

Looks like a nice course. I see you are scheduled to run that Bridger 20 miler on 8/9. I have read about that race somewhere. I hear it is tough. My dad and a friend of his will be out near Helena in mid-September elk hunting. They say it is beautiful.

LB2

DigDug2

Nice race - my legs hurt just looking at that elevation chart.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Nice job, MT. The heel is an integral part of the whole elevation change, good

to hear that it was healed up enough for the race.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, and glad your heel healed.  Look like a nice elevation.  How would that course be to run in reverse?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

That looks like an awesome run, congratulations on accomplishing your goals, and on keeping that heel injury-free!

AT: Someone being sarcastic here? 3000' in 4 miles?  (not saying that 3000' in 7 miles are easy, either)

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks everyone!  definitely glad to be able to run again, two months doesn't sound like a long time, but I'm sure you all can relate Big grin

LB2- the Bridger is a tough race- it's the first race I ever ran (2012)- which in hindsight was a mistake Smile  We have some wonderful elk hunting here, so I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself

AT- it would be pretty rough in reverse, but you'd have a longer distance downhill- I might have to try it sometime when I'm looking for a little punishment Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √