Trailer Trash

Screw Shoe Advice (Read 37 times)

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to stick some screws in a pair of my shoes tomorrow. I have the screws all lined up and ready to go but I have a couple of questions.

1). Flat (or round) heads or the larger hex heads?

2). How many per shoe and what pattern would you use?

I'll be using these mostly on dirt forest roads that will have been packed by snowmobiles and 4X4s so there will be a good bit of ice.

NorthernHarrier

Hex heads.       Use anywhere from 8-14 or so.    I place them by trying to look at the wear areas on the sole. Basically all around but the emphasis on those areas. Make sure they are not too long. Pull the insole out and make sure you have not gone thru.

They are not the end all be all but they do help.

AT-runner

Tim

I use #10 Hex Head 3/8" screws.  I have 10 per shoe on both mine and DW's

Here is my DW's shoes.  My screws are out a bit wider on the front, but her treads made this placement best for her shoe.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

I use hex head too, I line the outside edge of the toe with 7 or 8 screws and the outside edge of the heel with the same. Works well on hard pack.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I screwed an old pair of Brooks this winter, and even with me screwing in the thickest

part of the sole I had poke-through, I invested in a pair of microspikes after that. Here's

a good reference for screwing shoes:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

hex head, 3/8 or 1/2" depending on the thickness of the tread, pattern will change w/ the shoe- I find the screws more useful towards the outer edges (but not too far out)

if there is a lot of ice, screws might not suffice- if it doesn't microspikes will be your new best friend Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jonferg67

Endless trails

if there is a lot of ice, screws might not suffice- if it doesn't microspikes will be your new best friend Smile

My new pair paid off last Saturday running in miles of snowmobile tracks. Very good investment.

Daydreamer1

Thanks for the info. I was definitely leaning towards the hex heads. For some reason though the local hardware stores don't carry hex heads so I had to get them from an out of the area store. I have #8 in 3/8" and I'm going to put them into a pair of Hokas.

I was thinking about getting some microspikes but these are cheaper so hopefully they work for me.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for the info. I was definitely leaning towards the hex heads. For some reason though the local hardware stores don't carry hex heads so I had to get them from an out of the area store. I have #8 in 3/8" and I'm going to put them into a pair of Hokas.

I was thinking about getting some microspikes but these are cheaper so hopefully they work for me.

Hokas? Feel free to go with 2 inch screws!!!!!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jonferg67

Endless trails

I saw that one coming from the last aid station.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Hex heads, I use 3\8". I align them around the outer and inner edges, 4 screws on the front half, 4 on the heels, using the wear as a guide. I put them rather far out and to the front, and I'm happy with that. Just be prepared, depending on the material of the soles, it can be very tricky to get the screws in, because the foam grips the screws (lot of friction), and it is quite stretchy, so the foam moght wrap around the screws, peventing them from going in, so be patient, and use an electric drill, if you have one.

Run for fun.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I had 14 of the 3/8" in my Hokas  , that pair has many miles and I could feel a couple under the ball of my foot . I just took those out .

Watoni

Screw shoe advice? I thought barefoot running was taboo here ....

Daydreamer1

Just remember: Bigger is better!!!!! 

I use hex head screws.  I could only find #6 in the 3/8 length, and they work just fine.  I also use a drill attachment to screw them in, only takes 30 seconds per shoe.  Otherwise, if I had to do it with a regular screw driver, I'd go nuts.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.