Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - May 2010 (Read 629 times)

Welcome to a new month, fellow dirt lovers!

10.30 trail miles this a.m.  Everything went really good until about Mile 9 when nausea hit me like a ton of bricks.  Ick.  Even though I know I need to get food in me at that point, it's hard to force it down.  *sigh*  Nutrition is the single most frustrating aspect of my running.  Oh well.  One of these days.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

Started off the month with an all women's 8k trail race. I finished with a time of 44:44 to put me in 2nd for my AG and 18th overall out of some 300+ runners. Wore my new La Sportiva Crosslites and loved racing in them. I did test them out last saturday on a 6 mile run.

full report here

Congratulations, Runs!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wanderingoutlaw

Leslie I hope you get the food issues worked out soon.  Good job on the 10+ miler.

Runs Congratulations on the great trail race--nice improvement from last year

After running very little the last two weeks--due to my feet being sore after a 10k trail race two weeks ago, I was back on the trails Saturday for another trail race: an 8k this time.  Started out on asphalt for a few hundred yards before moving to the trails--mostly wide dirt trails with not many roots or rocks--and many of those helpfully painted white.  Some gravel in areas and lots of sweet gum (tree) balls, both of which bothered my feet at times.  Some grassy areas, often in power line cuts, where the sun would beat down mercilessly.  And some concrete paths (although you could run on the side on the earth, but I seemed to be faster on the concrete).

I did a good job of holding myself back early and seemed to maintain a steady pace throughout.  After the initial positioning on the road, I was never passed (other than one woman who stopped to let me pass so she could check on her friend behind me).  Finished around 57:56.  Thanks to there being other races in the area, I earned my second ever AG placement (and a nice looking medal)--3rd place in 30-39 men.  I don't know my placement overall, but it's probably like 40th out of 50.

John

22.5 miles in the Wiss. I didn't even feel the first 10. I'm getting in better shape. Last 12 were harder."Hot" and humid, more so than the spring that is. I think solid food doesn't agree with me. I'm going to stick with the honey. I tried a pop tart today and my energy went down hill after that. I was soaked with sweat so that may have been it, not sure. I didn't urinate till 4 hours in, not a good sign. It was dark dark yellow, not a good sign. I'm not so sure that means I was dehydrated though. I drank  6-7 oz.'s of water every 20 minutes. My fingers swelled up too, a sign of too much fluid. I'm going to cut back on the fluid intake on my next long run and see if it knackers me or helps. I'll listen to my thirst. I also only ate 120 calories per hour. It was just enough to get me :45-1:00 till my stomach would growl for food. I believe in listening to my body as when to eat and how much. Might as well try it with the fluids too. Overall, I'm pleased. 5 hours next week and the week after, then a 6 hour before the taper leading up to the Highlands Sky 40 Miler in WV. I'm stoked for it as it's run in a national forest in WV and WV is gorgeous as it is. It's supposed to be tough one though. We'll see.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Happy

Started off the month with an all women's 8k trail race. I finished with a time of 44:44 to put me in 2nd for my AG and 18th overall out of some 300+ runners. Wore my new La Sportiva Crosslites and loved racing in them. I did test them out last saturday on a 6 mile run.

full report here

Congratulations Ashley! Way to go!! 18th of 300+ runners, that's quite an accomplishment. You make us proud!!

I am yet to read the full report - I've gotta. Have a good day.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

Hi all,

I am excited to tell you this: My husband and 2 sons are going to volunteer at my next trail ultra, which is a 40 miler on May 9, mother's day. They are going to run an aid station. We will be visiting their aid station twice during the event; once at 10 miles and again at 30 miles. The course is a trail out and back. 

This is an amazing mother's day gift - I am surprised and happy. We will see how the boys take it; they are not big outdoor people......

Trying to stay fit and healthy before the ultra. I can't believe I will be running 40 miles again so soon. My goals will be 1) to finish, 2) to keep my walk breaks a little more evenly spaced than last time, 3) to finish a little faster than 3 weeks ago - ideally, I would like to see 4mph throughout so I am setting myself up for a 10 hour finish.

Depending on how the body holds up I will be able to do it in 10 hours. My toes are not in the best shape. Several nails are black or partial black - I hope they won't start to hurt too soon in the race. Other than that, I think it is going to be overall much more humid and hot than 3 weeks ago so it may impact how I feel and how fast I can move. Usually I feel pretty good even in the summer heat but I have not had time to acclimate yet. 

I look forward to doing this race - it's going to be awesome - please, cross all your fingers for me; I need good vibes.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Good for your DH and sons, Flower!  Have fun at the ultra.

I have come to the conclusion that I don't like not having a goal (next run isn't until July).  There's no mojo.

It was one of those mornings where I knew I needed to get up, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open.  And every time I went back to sleep, I'd dream.  My goal is to workout when I get home tonight.  I know that part of the problem is the Ambien I'm taking (otherwise, I absolutely do not sleep).  I used to be able to cut or break the pills in half, but they keep changing the size and shape, and this batch - the pills are really small.  *sigh* I sure will be happen when all this female peri-whatever crap is over so I can reclaim my life, or at least the sleeping part of it.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

Good for your DH and sons, Flower!  Have fun at the ultra.

I have come to the conclusion that I don't like not having a goal (next run isn't until July).  There's no mojo.

It was one of those mornings where I knew I needed to get up, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open.  And every time I went back to sleep, I'd dream.  My goal is to workout when I get home tonight.  I know that part of the problem is the Ambien I'm taking (otherwise, I absolutely do not sleep).  I used to be able to cut or break the pills in half, but they keep changing the size and shape, and this batch - the pills are really small.  *sigh* I sure will be happen when all this female peri-whatever crap is over so I can reclaim my life, or at least the sleeping part of it.

Oh Bummer, Leslie  peri-whatever it is can last a long time but then again, everyone is different so you'll probably zip right through it!! I am already on the other side of the hill in terms of age, turned 50 in December, but I am completely insane at times due, of course, to nothing but peri-what's-ma-call-it. I hope it makes you feel a little better to know that you are not the only one out there not being able to sleep and being super anxious and tense. No libido left in my body either; don't know what happened but sex has always been highly over rated anyway  Oh, yes, we were talking about sleep..... 

No libido left in my body either; don't know what happened but sex has always been highly over rated anyway  Oh, yes, we were talking about sleep..... 

*snork!*  I always say that if I had to choose between sex and massage - - well, no competition.  Massage -  you just lay there and nothing's expected of you.  Not even moaning. 

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

LOL!! You give me a good chuckle 

Hey, let's keep this dirty trail runners thread clean. It ain't that kind of dirty.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Happy

OK - in honor of Earth Day I will try to help clean up this thread LOL!!

Leslie said:

"I have come to the conclusion that I don't like not having a goal (next run isn't until July).  There's no mojo."

Good, I agree with this. The goals keep us focused and motivated and that's the magic of having a goal. It doesn't matter in the final analysis wheter you achieve the goal or not. The satisfaction is in the process and systematically working on achieving the goal. Break the long term goal down into smaller more easily attainable goals - in that way each day and each week has it's focus and ultimately it is very fulfilling to be able to check off a job well done at the end of the day. It gives you something to get out of the bed for in the morning.

Duh, getting out of the bed in the morning is not one of my strengths. If it weren't for the fact that I have to get up and drive, take the kids to school, I often wouldn't get out of the bed. Once I've taken them to school I feel much better and I often manage to set my body into motion. After having become an ultrarunner I feel fine if all I do is walk - IOW, I try not to beat myself over the head if I don't feel like running 10 miles or even 6 early in the morning. If I walk in the morning I can basically walk again later in the day and in that way cover a good number of miles on my feet, not to mention more time on my feet. If I run in the morning I can likewise walk later in the day and accomplish even more. Here is where the listening to my body comes in because I am actually often too tired to do two workouts in a day.

What can a person do?

It's hard not to be very hard on ourselves when we don't accomplish our goals - so it is important not to set goals that are too far from what we are able to do. Right?!

Leslie, maybe you need to talk to the doctor about he dosage of the Ambien? Maybe there is something else that works better for you. It is my impression that many antidepressants help a person get better sleep as well as improved quality of life overall.

What is your July goal? 

Buddo -

Flower - July will be SOB again.  This will be my 3rd year.  The first year I got my first DNF.  I think next year I'm going to find something else for July.  Then I have McKenzie River 50k in September, am looking for something for October, and will go back to Desert High in December.  It's the 25th anniversary.  I have to go!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hey Everyone! Nice dirty talk! Didn't bother me a bit. Greg, feeling out of the loop chatting about peri-whatever?

Hanging out here in Stowe watching the sun come out, the rain come in, the sun come out....you get the idea.

So lets set some goals!!! How many miles each day? each week? each month? I usually set weekly mileage goals and then break it down to daily goals. Like this week I'd like to hit 80 miles including a 50k race on Saturday. If I end up in the 70's I'll be happy. The 50k is the Northface Endurance Challange and very hilly so we'll see how I feel on Sunday. I just made Sunday 12m-that may take a while if my quads are sore :-)

Psych class is done-woohoo! I'm looking at a pre-calculas class for the summer. It's a pre-req for physics. ugh!

Things are goign well with Jack. We're going to the Northface race together.

Otherwise, it's the usual busyness. Both boys are playing lacrosse and my oldest is playing baseball too.

I'll let you know how Saturday goes.....cheers!

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.