Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team-December (Read 462 times)

I gotta read through this whole thread later... looks like some good stuff. Right now, I'm gonna HTFU and go for a run. It's like 4 degrees w/ 6" of fresh snow. This. Is. Going. To. SUCK. - Chris
    Sounds cool actually. Snowshoes? Kitrin: gregoflowe@gmail.com\ Leslie: you should have kicked that mother. I love dogs. Have three of em, one with no eyes and 30% hearing named Braille. He bonded to my wife and I quickly and started nipping at visitors and the kids even. I put that sucker in his place, BECAUSE I love him. He needs to know he ain't the pack leader, I am. He's cool now. Knows his place. People don't discipline their dogs cause they don't understand them. Thank you Caesar Milan. One thing you could have done was to stop and assume a dominant position, hands on hips, head up, and telling him sharply NO while looking in his eyes. He would have backed down probably. If not, he'll get closer for a good shot. My dad used to carry an air horn with him when he ran. It would scare the crap out of anybody, beast or human. It was LOUD. May want to give that a thought.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

No snowshoes, just regular shoes. It was about 5 degrees, but the winds died down. Amazing night to be out... saw two great horned owls and a fox. It's always so quiet and peaceful after a snowstorm. Greg... hang in there. I think it's important to take time for yourself... it makes you a better person. (At least it makes me a better, more balanced, and more tolerable person). Nice job on the mileage Kelly, that's awesome! Yike Leslie... that dog would have scared me too. I think I would have been inclined to kick the sh*t out of it Big grin - Chris
        I know I should've kicked him, but I was so wrapped up in yelling "NO!" with the whole hand out and trying to keep him in front of me, I thought if I kicked out and missed him or didn't kick hard enough, he would REALLY attack. I have never had a dog come at me like that before. Talk about a full on adrenaline rush. Cripes! It was dark, he was moving fast all around my legs, backing up and coming back snapping, growling, and snarling the whole time. I will definitely carry my pepper spray from now on, 'cause next time it'll be a shot in the face. Just keep your fingers crossed the wind is blowing AWAY from me. Wink I'm getting excited about the run on Sunday. I sure would love to try and do the 50k, but I know I haven't trained right for it. So I'll do the 30k, and the best part is my dad AND my aunt and uncle are all going to be waiting for me at the end. How cool is that? I feel like a little kid, having them all there. Dad will have his camera, and I'll actually get some pics of me finishing a race. Well, it's getting late, and it's been a very long day - driving, family, driving, more family. I need to get some sleep. Chris - How'd the run in the snow go? Imogene - We'd love to hear from you, even if you aren't running trails. Yo, Greg, Kitrin, and Kelly. Later!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I, like Imogene, have been doing more lurking than posting but am I always interested in hearing what you all have been up too. Sounds like all of you have been pretty active. I like dogs just fine. It's the owners of unruly ones I'm not too fond of. Chris - we are forecasted to have some snow in the Boston area tomorrow but not as cold as 4 degrees. Yikes! I should have time to post more this week as I rehab my badly sprained ankle this week and maybe next. I injured it running the Fells Trail Ultra last weekend. http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/2008/12/fell-trail-ultra-race-report.html Enjoy the weekend! Dan
          Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
            I like dogs just fine. It's the owners of unruly ones I'm not too fond of.
            I'm an animal lover, so I know that's one of the reasons I couldn't kick him. Blush Dan - I'll have to read your report later, but sorry to hear about the ankle. Please take good care of it. Sprains can be worse than breaks. I had a Grade 3 sprain (would've been better off breaking it) about 10 years ago . . . going down the two steps into our garage. One second I was stepping down, the next second I was on the floor. And I was sober! Wink Once I could start walking on it again, strengthening exercises were the key to it getting "better." Just wanted to check in before I hit the hay. Will "talk" to you guys tomorrow after my run. Later!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

dork.major dork.

Hello All, I'm going to write a mini race report here (and crosspost in LLR). Yesterday I ran the First Annual Christine Crusade "5k". That last part is in quotes, because well, the course actually measured 3.4 miles... It was about 25F, sunny, very pretty day. I had been up early because the plan had been to help them setup and register, but when we got there they were all set. The course was mainly around large fields on frozen hummocky grass, and I have to say that I preferred the short bit of single track in the woods with all its roots to the constant fear of twisting my ankle in that grass. I started off fast, perhaps a bit too fast, but after about a mile was hanging onto the back of a team of high school cross-country girls, I slowly worked my way through their pack over the next mile or so. It didn't feel great, but I just told myself that I had to keep with them and stay somewhere in their vicinity. A bunch of the ones I'd passed caught me on the second loop through the field, but I was also holding some of them off. When we rounded out of the woods and came toward the finish, I gave it my customary kick, but the high schooler behind me caught me just before the finish line. Time: 26:05 Pace: 7:41/mile I finished first in my age group and won a fuel belt in the raffle!! So, overall a very successful day Big grin Hope everyone is well, and I'll check in more and lurk less. Off to run in snow Smile

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! I'm back for a few minutes. Freezing cold here today and had anatomy to catch up on so I took the day off! I broke a 3 week streak of running everyday! I think the sky is going to fall Big grin Actually I did 17 miles yesterday for my long run and am a bit sore around the edges. Maybe going from 12-13 mile long run to 17 was too big? It's not like I ran the whole time-I walked some hills, flats.....whenever I felt like it.... So I'm vowing to take the rest of the month easier-I've posted it now you guys have to hold me to it. I had this crazy notion of running 200 miles this month to pass 2700 for the year and while I was running and thinking I asked myself why? My hamstring that's been bothering me for the past 6 months was talking to me, I was having some funny shin splint type pain in my left leg too and I asked myself again why? I've already run farther than last year so I'm figuring I'll leave myself some room to improve next year. It is what it is this year. I need to start focusing on some other things before the year ends like a race schedule for next year, losing the 8? pounds I've put on since September, getting more sleep and generating some type of income to pay my bills. Looks like everyone else is doing well....Leslie, don't you have a race report for us? Take care, Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, I think you made the right choice. You certainly do not want to run yourself into another injury when you already achieved something special by running over 2600 miles in one year. For what it's worth, I am proud of you. Leslie, I second Kelly's call for a race report. I am dying to hear how you did. On the dog thing, I am an animal lover too, but I do not hesitate to demonstrate that I am the one in control, especially with dogs. On the other hand, offering a tantalizing target by sticking a leg out at a charging dog might not be the wisest thing to do. So, I am glad you are safe and staying armed in the future. I told your story to my husband and now he wants me to carry pepper spray every time I run too. Well, at least I know he loves me. Today was the sixth day since my last run and it took some serious motivation to get me out the door. I don't understand why that happens because I ALWAYS feel so much better after a run. Why would I resist? Any ideas anybody? Confused I ran three miles and tried out my new Forerunner 305. I bought it for $150 and free shipping on cyberMonday (Monday after Thanksgiving) from amazon.com. What a fun gadget. I know I will have to fight becoming obsessed with it. This past week was tough. I had a major project due for one of my classes. I had to read and analyze 12 journal articles in an 8-page thesis paper. Well, I was all set to start writing (on Friday when it was due on Sunday before midnight) when I realized that I read the assignment instructions wrong. I had to take a specific approach to the topic and I did not do that in my preparation. So . . . I had to reread over 100 pages of articles, highlighting pertinent information in a different color (because my first highlights were irrelevant) and basically start from scratch. I was so demoralized. Cry That is the main reason that I had no time to run until today. However, the paper is written and submitted and I plan to get back on the horse this week. I hope everyone is healthy and happy, Kitrin
                    Hi Guys - This is going to be quick as I am freaking tired, and I will read through all the posts later. Re the run - I kicked butt and am so happy! Finished in something like 3:52+. I remembered to stop my Garmin when it said 3:55, and I'd be standing around for at least 3 minutes. I know my time was due to there not being the climbing I was anticipating, but I am still happy, happy, happy, and will write a race report soon. Today was spent driving. Left Ridgecrest at 5:15 a.m., and two stops for gas, two stops for food, one stop to pick up the VW, drop Dad off with all his stuff and the VW (about 20 minutes), and I finally got home at 9:00 p.m. It was a long day, but it also went by fast. Dad and I split the driving, with me making him drive once we hit 580 until we got through Santa Rosa, since we had the VW in tow. Big grin I was gonna try, but as soon as we hit 6 lanes one way, I started stressing. I had already freaked myself out 3 times by looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a car driving right up my tailgate. Roll eyes So now I'm going to go shower and hit the hay. Later!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Way to go Leslie and great time! You have earned some well deserved downtime. Enjoy it. I, unfortunately, need to step up. Too much time off for me in the last couple weeks. Today is a reverse temperature day. High temp at 8am and then down from there. Perhaps I can find some kind of "reverse" exercise shtick in honor of it. I don't care, as long as I get out. It is a shame that I feel a little sore after only three miles yesterday. Kitrin

Ultrachick

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

dork.major dork.

Kitrin -- It's so hard when life gets in the way of running, I constantly feel like life is better when there is running, but sometimes the two just don't blend. Good job on finishing up what sounds like a tough assignment. Ozzig -- Congrats on a great race! I hope we get a more detailed race report sometime soon, perhaps with pictures?? Kelly -- What a great interview and a really cool site overall. I think that sometimes rural areas are better at that kind of networking than urban areas. So neat. Makes me want to move "home". OldGuy -- That sounds like fun...If you ever want company on a training run in the Fells, I'm game. I'm in that place where I'm pushing really hard to hit 1,000 miles for this year... only 104 miles to go... this means that I'm also looking ahead to goals for next year. I think I want to train for and PR in a road half marathon, and do a couple more trail events, and maybe train for a full marathon for the fall... depending on how everything else is going in my life -- work, grad school, maybe moving, maybe moving in with my BF, etc. After my trail race on Saturday, I was really sore on Sunday, but headed out for a long slow run in the snow. I didn't take my watch because I wanted to just be "offline" as much as possible, listen to my body, stretch my calves (which are still screaming). It was such a nice quiet time by myself along the river. I was hungry by the end and my legs were tired... but if I hadn't run the race the day before (and had taken a Gu or eaten lunch) I think I could have gone much further than the 12 I did. I like that feeling. I also liked the feeling of crawling into bed after a hot shower with a bowl of turkey barley soup Smile Hope everyone is well.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Imogene - Congrats on the race, the age group win, and the raffle win! I won a pair of socks on Sunday, but, alas, I think they're too big. Oh well - Coach will be happy with them. Kitrin - Hang in there with all the school stuff. Between you and Kelly - Ugh! I am so glad I'm done with all that. No report yet because they still haven't posted the official times. They ended up having some kind of trouble with their timing equipment. The other thing is, their mileage was off. By my Garmin, we only went 18.41 miles instead of 18.64. Also, the first aid station was at their M5.5, but my Garmin said 4.83. Dunno. I sent the RD an email saying I had a great time (which I did), but had a question re how they figure out the mileage. Just wondering. This is a race I definitely want to do again next year, and would like to do the 50k. There weren't any hills the likes of which I'm used to, but had constant upward rolling hills. One short section, I felt like I was on a miniature roller coaster. Every 3rd or 4th step I was going up or down - boing, boing, boing. I am so tired right now. It started hitting me around 2:00. All I want to do is go home, feed the cats, take a hot shower, and crawl into my PJs. Unfortunately, there's basically no food in the house, so if I want to eat, I need to brave the grocery store. Tongue

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi All Ankle is improving but I'm still resting it (reluctantly) Imogene - great race getting 1st AG with some nice swag to boot! I'll let you know next time I'm heading to the fells. Kelly - take it easy for the rest of the year and come back healthy in 2009. Think of yourself as one of your training clients. What would you tell the client to do? Gotcha Big grin Congrats on the interview. Good exposure and hopefully more clients as a result. Kitrin - you got a great deal on the 305. I spent more on my 205. Leslie - nice race, good time. Don't worry about the mileage, What's a couple tenths anyway? Got to get ready for work. Later, Dan
                              Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                                Couldn't find any clean Injinji socks this a.m., so what's a girl to do, except plant her butt on the couch instead of running (I don't run without my Injinjis). But I did start a load of laundry, so I'll have clean socks for tomorrow's scheduled 5-miler. Feeling really good. Almost all residual soreness is gone. Still waiting for the official results, then will do my race report. In the meantime, I leave you with my Christmas card to you: Ames Family Christmas Card

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance