Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team-December (Read 462 times)

Okay - I know I just posted, but I just got the results from the race: Distance: 30k (18.41 miles) Time: 3:51:36 OA: 56 out of 102 (runners/walkers) Six of the finishers were early starters Sex: 26/50 Age: 4/9 (actually 10, but the last 2 tied) Big grin Big grin Big grin Desert High Pic

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi Everyone! I'm back for a few minutes. Freezing cold here today and had anatomy to catch up on so I took the day off! I broke a 3 week streak of running everyday! I think the sky is going to fall Big grin Actually I did 17 miles yesterday for my long run and am a bit sore around the edges. Maybe going from 12-13 mile long run to 17 was too big? It's not like I ran the whole time-I walked some hills, flats.....whenever I felt like it.... So I'm vowing to take the rest of the month easier-I've posted it now you guys have to hold me to it. I had this crazy notion of running 200 miles this month to pass 2700 for the year and while I was running and thinking I asked myself why? My hamstring that's been bothering me for the past 6 months was talking to me, I was having some funny shin splint type pain in my left leg too and I asked myself again why? I've already run farther than last year so I'm figuring I'll leave myself some room to improve next year. It is what it is this year. I need to start focusing on some other things before the year ends like a race schedule for next year, losing the 8? pounds I've put on since September, getting more sleep and generating some type of income to pay my bills. Looks like everyone else is doing well....Leslie, don't you have a race report for us? Take care, Kelly
      Hey, none of that commen sense stuff around here, coupled with good judgement. We're EXTREME remember.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Today was the sixth day since my last run and it took some serious motivation to get me out the door. I don't understand why that happens because I ALWAYS feel so much better after a run. Why would I resist? Any ideas anybody? Confused Kitrin
        Amnesia coupled with inertia. The 305 is cool. I love it. Tip: put tape over the speaker on the bottom. Mine crapped out when sweat got in there so now I have to wear my Timex hr monitor with my Garmin so I can have an alarm alert when my hr goes too high. This is an apparently commen problem that I never heard about until it was too late. Leslie-Nice job. Keep kickin ass. Kelly-cool interview! Imogene-Real nice time on that race. Good job. Today I ran 5.3 at lunch. Did 1.5 barefoot on the asphalt path as it's 60 degrees here for some weird reason. Was 20 two days ago. Diggin the barefoot thing again. Hips are cool so I'll keep it up till it becomes a problem. Nice pace too, 11:15/mile at hr of 135.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Amnesia coupled with inertia. The 305 is cool. I love it. Tip: put tape over the speaker on the bottom. Mine crapped out when sweat got in there so now I have to wear my Timex hr monitor with my Garmin so I can have an alarm alert when my hr goes too high. This is an apparently commen problem that I never heard about until it was too late.
          Agreed on the tape. Cover the gold contacts too... I shorted out two watches and ruined them (and burned myself) because of those contacts. Haven't had any problems since doing the tape trick.
          Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Oldguy, great report! This is my favorite part: "Some recorded their split times; others recorded their accumulated time while still a third group recorded the time of day." Glorious! What better demonstration of ultrarunners' maverick tendencies could we possibly see? Greg, Chris, thank you for the warning! I will take your advice. I sweat considerably with plenty of salt, so that is just an accident waiting to happen. Just as a curiosity question, how salty is everyone's sweat? I usually have crystallized salt on my body after a long run. I read somewhere that people like me (salty sweaters) need more electrolytes. How does that play out during a long run? Leslie, congrats on the placements. I would be happy to finish in the first half of any group. Imogene, I am in awe of your speed. Kelly, thanks for posting the interview. I am sure it will generate some clients for you. I admit that I am a wimp. I did not run yesterday or today because of the cold temperatures and wind (that crazy front that sped across the nation the past couple days). I could put up with one or the other, but weakened in the face of the two together. However, I did put in a kick butt exercise video both days that made me VERY SWEATY and sore. I am actually looking forward to taking a break with a long slow run tomorrow (the temps will be back around 50 without winds). Kitrin
            Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Did 1.5 barefoot on the asphalt path . . . Diggin the barefoot thing again.
              Greg, I did some reading on barefoot running last week and it is an intriguing idea. I jogged a little bit around the house (lame, I know, but I am a tenderfoot) and I understand now the difference in foot striking with and without shoes. The next time I ran after that I imagined that I was barefoot running and I could feel the difference. I do not know if I will ever run barefoot anywhere except on a treadmill, and then I expect I would wear socks, but I liked the difference in the feel of my form when I tried to duplicate with shoes on. Leslie, I agree with you that running without injinjis is a bad idea. I love mine. Kitrin
                37 degrees, raining and windy. Cold today. Only made it about .75 of a mile barefoot. Feet felt like clubs. Stopped and put my shoes on which I was carrying. I'm trying to build my mileage barefoot again. Calves are wicked sore from the 1.4 miles yesterday. I love it. Evil grin Give a jog on some grass a try. The treadmill in socks works great. I sent a letter to trail runner mag on how to run on the treadmill in socks to simulate barefoot running. They printed it. Cool It can work for you just fine. Go barefoot if it's your treadmill. You may suprise yourself and dig it so much you start running outside barefoot. It's a blast. It's like living with gloves on your whole life and taking them off and discovering all the different textures to everything. Salt: I personally don't believe in taking a lot of electrolyte tabs. I did this at VT50, a tab or two every 5 miles for last 20 miles, and it made me VERY sick. You'll have to figure this piece out for yourself. There's a ton of advice out there but in the end you'll have to experiment with it. During that race, I was crusty with salt. Felt like I had sand on me. The last 50k I did I didn't take in any salt, just water and honey. I got dehydrated for the last 8-10 miles though. I currently go by taste. If salt tastes good, I'll just eat something salty like chips or a pretzel. If it doesn't taste good, no go.

Kitrin - I must've completely missed your question re salt intake. A lot of people swear by S-caps, but that ended up being one of the things that contributed to my nausea, so I take Endurolytes. However, I only begin taking them in the 2nd hour of a run, and unless it's really warm, humid, etc., I only take one an hour. Extra heat and humidity, lots of sweating, I take 2 an hour. The only place I can find them is on the Internet. Greg - Good luck with the barefoot running. An older gentleman who posts in the Masters Forum does a lot of barefoot running, as well. He swears by it.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Sorry I buried the salt question in my paragraph to Greg. Oops! I went to the lake yesterday and ran 8.74 miles in 1:59:18. By the end I was WIPED OUT. I guess I forgot what a long run is like and started out too fast. Shame on me -- I know better. Still it is good to know I can make myself do the distance even when I feel like quitting. I am heading to Houston to see the hubby this weekend, so I may be scarce. Hopefully, I can find a nice trail to run and time to run it. Have a great weekend folks! Kitrin
                      Way to go Kitrin. Keep going. Cool

Good job, Kitrin! To be nosey - what does your hubby do that keeps you two separated so much?

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Greg, Chris, thank you for the warning! I will take your advice. I sweat considerably with plenty of salt, so that is just an accident waiting to happen. Just as a curiosity question, how salty is everyone's sweat? I usually have crystallized salt on my body after a long run. I read somewhere that people like me (salty sweaters) need more electrolytes. How does that play out during a long run?
                          Mine is extraordinarily sweaty... it's crazy how much salt I lose. I'm probably a walking heart attack :-) In really hot dry weather I'll often take in close to 1000mg of sodium an hour! - Chris
                          Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

To be nosey - what does your hubby do that keeps you two separated so much?
                            Not nosey at all. He works for FEMA Region 6 (there are a total of nine regions) that covers LA, AR, OK, TX, and NM. With three hurricane strikes in four weeks this past summer (Dolly in S TX, Gustav in LA, and Ike of course) they are WAY overextended. He should be in Houston until April (they think). Considering he left on 1 August for Dolly and has not been home, it is getting old. He occasionally comes up for a day (his only day off each week is Sunday and he is 4 hours away), but I more often go down. Counting our blessings . . . He has a good job that will not go away anytime soon. We are in the same state (unlike when he was in Iraq) so I can visit and he is safe. The overtime that he makes is helping us eliminate debt and save. I get to run all over Texas, literally. So my job is to be available (my job is on hiatus this year) to boost morale and finish my degree. If we didn't have the exchange student, I would pack up the cats and live where he lives. Oh well, still have better than what most people have. Kitrin
                              Counting our blessings . . . He has a good job that will not go away anytime soon. We are in the same state (unlike when he was in Iraq) so I can visit and he is safe. The overtime that he makes is helping us eliminate debt and save. I get to run all over Texas, literally.
                              Very nice that you are able to go see him often. If anyone's interested, my race report is on this thread here: Desert High 30k

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin - how much salt intake is a trial and error thing. I was taking 1 S-cap per hour and found I was in serious need of a bathroom break within 30 minutes. When I went to 1 S-cap every 90-100 minutes the GI issue seemed to resolve itself. Just try different hydration/electrolyte combinations and see what works best for you.
                                Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/