Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - April 2011 (Read 232 times)

wanderingoutlaw

I see this forum's been drying up lately

I finally got back on the trails once last weekend in prep for an 8k trail run this morning.  The trail race went pretty well--much better than last year when I was worn out from a race a couple of weeks before.  With some rains yesterday, some parts of the trail were muddy.  Great fun running through the muddy areas squishing the mud between my toes.  The muddy areas seemed to be the best place to pass other runners as they ran alongside the puddles to avoid the mud.

Next week I'm scheduled to run a 10k on some tougher trails (rockier and rootier and a little more hilly).  This will be a repeat of the race that wore me out last year (when I wasn't quite ready for a 10k).

John

Hi John - Yeah, not too many folks in here lately.  I'm actually on the injured list right, nursing a stress fracture in my left foot.  Starting my 5th week on crutches.

Nice to see you back in here.  Good luck on your 10k this week.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I think the Ultra Runners forum siphons off a lot of content.

Anyway I did a nice 50k in Colorado Springs Saturday, it was the inaugural Cheyenne Mountain 25k/50k and it was really well done. The trails are really nice, the aid stations were plentiful and well-stocked (I could have run it without a water bottle) and the State Park has nice facilities, heated restrooms with running water. Great post-race food by Carraba's too. Weather was dicey-blowing snow up on the tops of the trails. 

It's a tough course due to nonstop up/down/up/down with almost no level, plus the altitude (6000-7000 ft). It was my 50k PW, slower even than Bandera. Tough competition too, because they offer prize money, man those leaders were flying! 

Anyhow if you're looking for a spring race next year, this is a good one. The map and profile are in my log from Apr 23 if you're interested.

Leslie, so sorry about the SF, I've been there. Are you allowed to do any training at all? Like bike or elliptical? I was only able to do recumbent bike while mine healed. I then used this for rehab and it worked well for me. It's pretty conservative but hey, you need to be careful with a SF. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks for the info.  That's a good article.  I bookmarked it and sent it to my coach.

Sounds like that 50k was a good training run for Miwok!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wanderingoutlaw

Leslie, sorry to hear about your stress fracture.  Hope you're healed up soon.

John

Went for an MRI today.  Won't know the results until my doc appt on Tuesday.  My foot didn't appreciate the position it was placed in, or it could've been the "packing" around it to keep it from moving.  Not sure if that signifies anything, but am keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't.  It doesn't hurt, it just feels "off" at the site of the SF.  So we'll see.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wanderingoutlaw

The 10k race went well--improved around four minutes from last year.  Although my feet are tender from landing too hard on some rocks and roots, my body feels a lot better than it did last year.  Last year I didn't run after the race for almost two weeks I felt so poor. This year,  I've already been for a seventy minute bike ride this morning, and hopefully my feet will feel well enough to run on Monday or Tuesday. I have a 5k road race planned for Saturday morning (my first time ever running three races in three consecutive weeks).

John

under a rock

Leslie, I hope the MRI results are good. I know it sucks to not be able to run.

John, congrats on the improvement from last year!

I'm finally back on the trails and done with PT. I'm keeping my distances short for now. I have no designs on going over a half marathon again for a few years. Time to listen to the body telling me to keep things short and sweet. So the  longest race I have planned for this year is a 10 miler. Right now I'm back up to just over 4 miles and just happy to be running again. I really want to get my speed back up. I lost a lot of speed last year while pushing the distance longer.

Imminent Catastrophe

Went for an MRI today.  Won't know the results until my doc appt on Tuesday.  My foot didn't appreciate the position it was placed in, or it could've been the "packing" around it to keep it from moving.  Not sure if that signifies anything, but am keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't.  It doesn't hurt, it just feels "off" at the site of the SF.  So we'll see.

So how did it go?

BTW wanderingoutlaw, your cat looks like Toonces.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016