Trail Runners

Downhill technique (Read 278 times)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Hi, I'm new here. I like to trail run and I am experimenting with different ways of getting down steep hills. example: Run with gravity and throw my legs out as fast as needed, zig zag, or taking loose steep sections like I'm skiiing mogals. I'm interested in how others take mild to steep decents on hard and loose dirt or shale surfaces. Thanks.
    Find the fun.

You'll ruin your knees!

Good question! Lots of different things work for me. On really rough terrain, it is important to get your arms/hands up in a higher position for balance. I also turn my toes more to the outside to help prevent rolling an ankle (tend to do it more on downhills). Absolutely run with gravity, very relaxed and careful not to overstride. I try to keep my stride length the same and increase my foot turnover. On the really nasty stuff, absolutely adopt a sort of mogul ski technique...don't put all of your confiidence in any one foot plant, but think of the ground as something really, really hot that will burn your foot if it stays down too long...almost skipping from foot to foot. The lateral movement is much greater on downhills, as well. Good luck! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks for the input. That helps
        Find the fun.
          Good question! Lots of different things work for me. On really rough terrain, it is important to get your arms/hands up in a higher position for balance. I also turn my toes more to the outside to help prevent rolling an ankle (tend to do it more on downhills). Absolutely run with gravity, very relaxed and careful not to overstride. I try to keep my stride length the same and increase my foot turnover. On the really nasty stuff, absolutely adopt a sort of mogul ski technique...don't put all of your confiidence in any one foot plant, but think of the ground as something really, really hot that will burn your foot if it stays down too long...almost skipping from foot to foot. The lateral movement is much greater on downhills, as well. Good luck! Lynn B
          What he said ! I use gravity to my advantage on downhill, but keep my strides short with more turn-over.
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

short steps... That's helpful. I tried that recently. I made sense and worked well. I suppose it is equivilent to the shorter strides up, but faster. Thanks.
            Find the fun.
            sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I agree with everything said above. I learned my downhill technique from an old school mountaineer back when I was climbing. I think it looks a little odd but I can run a mean downhill Evil grin. Keep your center of gravity low and back a little, I almost feel as if I am sitting down a little, bend at the knees and keep your foot strike quick. Here in Colorado we always have a mix of fixed and loose rocks. Always look ahead plan the line you are going to take. When it gets really technical I try and step from fixed flat rock to fixed flat rock. Keep loose and flexible.
              If you're bored ask why you're boring
                Nice to know I'm not the only one who sort of "squats" when going downhill. Also, if my quads are killing me, I adopt a zig zag/serpentine approach. It helps to relieve the pressure.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Sherpagirl and Fatozzig- That's interesting and helpful too. I will add that to my tool box of techniques. I like the idea. Thanks for the input. I've hyperextended my knee before (a long time ago) and I want to be careful.
                  Find the fun.