Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team - NOV 2008 (Read 395 times)

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Do I really get to start the new month? NEAT!!! I ran somewhere between four and five miles this afternoon and felt great. A time of 50 minutes puts me between 10 - 12.5 minute miles and I am VERY happy with that. Why do I always run better in the afternoon/evening? I wish I could find how to replicate that feeling for my race in ONE WEEK!!!!!! Leslie it is good to hear that you are holding up well under the new HR levels. I do not track my HR, I simply gauge myself on how my chest and breathing feel. I even refuse to look at my watch until after I finish my distance runs because I do not want to look at it constantly. I have that obsessive/compulsive thing sometimes and I KNOW it would come out if I started tracking too much. Greg, I really appreciate your encouragement. How is your body holding up? Any new pains? My hammies FINALLY started to feel better after five days. I don't know what I did, but I don't want to do it again. We'll see what feels sore tomorrow. Hopefully nothing. That one toenail that gave me problems months ago fell off and is now halfway back it. It rubs a bit and I have to wrap it to keep it happy. Whatever it takes, I guess. Kelly, thanks for checking in. I know you are crazy busy. Welcome to November everybody!!! Prepare for the fight against holiday indulgence! Kitrin
      Ola, Everyone - Did 13 miles in the Arcata Forest yesterday. Lots of hill work, including almost 4 miles toward the end of all downhill. Completed the run 2:31:26, which is stupidly fast for me on the trails. Absolutely not complaining. Big grin It was a very wet run as a storm came in Friday night. Suffice to say, I was completely soaked by the time I got done. Saw only two other people and their dogs the entire time, just as my run was starting, and almost the same spot when I was done. Other than that, had the entire forest to myself. When I got home, the Hub had taken the rest of the day off work and took me north to Trinidad for an overnight at a B&B. Was a total surprise. He said it was running my first marathon. Nice! Here are some pics. It was really cool with the storm moving through: Looking to the left off our balcony: Looking to the right off our balcony: A brief break in the storm, view from our balcony: We had a great time. "Tea Time" consisted of some unbelievable clam chowder, brie baked in a puff pastry, wine, crackers, etc. Breakfast today was freshly baked muffins, pancakes, potatoes, frittata, sausages, fantastic coffee. The only disappointing part for the Hub was no TV in the room, so he couldn't watch college football. But he survived. He even got in the hot tub with me. Very surprising! The Hub had waaay too much wine, and is currently sleeping it off on the couch. Dead

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, now I can envy you as much as Chris for where you live! Great job on the 13 miles. I am so happy for you. Hopefully, next year I will be running 13 miles, although it will not be a training run, lol. I am starting to get butterflies about my race this week. Do you (or Greg, or Kelly, or anyone with more experience) have suggestions on how much training I should do this week? I am thinking a couple more days of 1 - 1.5 hours and then no running on Thurs. or Fri. What do you think? Kitrin
          I could take a lesson from your hubby. Classy move. Nice running. Kitrin, just do what you normally do, except do shorter runs the second half of the week. Mon, Tu-normal, W-2/3 your normal run, th,fri-half to a quarter, sat-race. Keep th and fri to 2-3 miles, just nice and easy. Just keep it easy breezy, no problems. Saturday, go for it! Don't the butterflies feel good. Big grin I love em.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hello. I drove to the race site today (got lost on the way) and did an incomplete dry run on the trail. I ran about 2/3 - 3/4 of it and learned that I will need to crawl and probably walk some at the beginning because it is almost constantly uphill (except for the undulations) for the out portion. The good news is that makes the second half downhill! I went out too fast today and struggled to make it back in, even after taking a 15 minute "visiting" break with two guys who were mapping the trail elevation changes for a Segway dealer. The dealer wants to know if he can take a Segway on the trail. Hey Greg, are you a marine? I read something on the internet the other day that said Marines refer to Ibuprofen as vitamin-I and I thought of you. Did you know that I did not understand your reference before I learned that? I thought vitamin-I was some natural wonder vitamin. I am a little embarrassed, lol Leslie, will your husband tutor my husband? Kelly, I am thinking of you. Best to all, Kitrin
              Kitrin - I had no idea what Vit I was either. Roll eyes When you're going up the hills, take small steps, and if you think you're already taking small steps, take even smaller ones - whether trying to run or just walking. Don't push off from your toes, use the front half of your foot, although a lot of people would argue that you're suppose to use your entire foot, which feels very awkward to me, and I don't feel like I have as much power. You'll do fine on the race. Just remember to conserve. It'll be exciting, but you don't want to get caught up in a pack that's really hoofing it. Remember to do your own race. Doesn't matter where you finish. Take it a mile at a time. You're gonna do great!!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hey Kitrin-Go with what Leslie and Greg said. Short, easy runs-take two days off and you'll feel like Bambi out there when you start-like you've never run before. I like Leslie's advice for the small steps on the hill on the front half of your feet. Don't feel bad if you walk and laugh to yourself at those who are trying to run it because you may be able to pass them at the end because they spent all that energy early on. Remember energy management will get you to the finish line-as well as the promise of a cold beer waiting for you! Big grin Good thing you checked put the course so there's no surprises and you already got lost getting there so that shouldn't happen again. Thanks for thinking of me. I'm busy with life like usual. I just got a couple new clients-ine for personal training for 6 sessions (paid upfront) and another one to coach for a spring marathon and beyond which I'm excited about. My other coaching client has her half mary this Sunday so we'll see how well we did. She's also talkign about a spring marathon so I'm hoping she'll hire me for that as well. Class is going well-I'm not behind. Jack is fine, the kids are keeping me on my toes so I'm just chugging along. I haven't ventured over 10 miles yet but feel I can and the way my weight is creeping up I better do it soon. I actually bought a new scale (needed to for work) and it says I'm 3 lbs heavier than what my old scale says which I'm a little bummed but it's not the end of the world. But this scale also does Body Fat % and today had me at 17% which is on the low side for women-take it with a few grains of salt, I know these things aren't perfect. My clothes aren't fitting too differently and I've been doing a lot of strength training so I'm guessing (hoping) I'm just increasing my muscle mass. Good luck Kitrin! Good job on your long run Leslie and Greg, Glad you're still with us! Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                  Not a marine, though I almost signed up after watching Full Metal Jacket. Just runner lingo. Good luck on your race. Listen to these ladies Kitrin. Take off the two days prior then go for it. Manage your energy, you'll be fine. Just cruise and, above all, HAVE FUN! Make sure to eat some yummy food at the aid stations. Check out my log. Running every day. Day after tomorrow makes 30 days of streaking. Miles creeping up. Speed increasing too. Just keeping hr at 135-140. Runs are going great. Easy breezy. Tendonitis in foot is disappearing. Body is adapting. I'm almost allowing myself to get excited, but am holding out till I see more of a trend in the increasing pace at the low hr's. Later guys. Kelly, maybe I'll hire you in the spring to coach me after my base phase this winter.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Fabulous-Greg-If you hire me but also on your streak and that you're adapting well. I'm not having a great day today-if I get out of my pajamas and outside it will be a miracle. And it's over the most stupidest, miniscule thing in the whole wide world but it's these little things that send me crashing. Both of my boys said they wanted to play base guitar simply because they don't want to sing in chorus or take a music composition class to fulfill the school's music requirement. This was two years ago for my oldest and last year for my youngest. Since then it's created a bit of stress because neither of them like to practice-my only requirement was 15 min/day-just what the music teacher said. Neither of them played all summer and this year my youngest "lost" his for a week and didn't tell me, didn't bother looking for it, wasn't concerned at all. I went to the school looking for it and ran into the music teacher and he told me it was in the music room the whole time. I got tired of this and also found out my oldest wasn't even going to lessons anymore. I took the guitars away and notified the teachers to switch them to the music composition class. I got their mid term grades last week and their both failing music because according to them they don't know where to go or what to do even though the teachers emailed me the switch had been made. I have no patience for these types of things especially when I thought I was done with it. I sent a rather insulting email to the teachers copying the principle and vp. Well, the teachers are now informing me the kids do know where to go but are choosing not to and the music teacher is not going to inform me everytime a kid misses a class and basically I've pi--ed off the teachers and I feel like an idiot for having trusted my kids to tell me the truth. I've got parent /teacher conferences on Friday-this will be just lovely. I don't expect parenting to be easy and I know this could be over a lot worse matters like drugs or stealing. I've already sent emails apologizing profusely for going about this the wrong way but it doesn't seem to matter. I know this will blow over but I get tired of working so hard to make a good life for us and to the kids it's never enough. It doesn't help that the community we live in is one of the wealthier ones in the county. Thanks for listening, I know it's not the end of the world and I'm not alone. Have a good day! Kelly
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                      Sorry for the difficulties. I have four kids and I can't believe how much it hurts when they choose to lie to me. You are living out what I fear will happen in 10 years. I have 4,5,5,and 6 year olds. In January they'll be 4,5,6,7. The oldest two are girls. The younger girl will lie at the drop of a hat to protect herself from being punished. The oldest tries to be more sly about it. The two boys are similar, the older tends to tell the truth more, the younger lies at will, righ to your face. Recognize that it feels personal, but it's not. I mean, it's personal cause you love them and want what is best for them, and it hurts they would choose to lie to you and damage the relationship, and their character, but in the end it says more about them and the condition of their heart than it does about you as a parent. The ingratitude hurts, I know. I try to remember that the best I can do is give them truth and lessons and opportunity but that they will make their own choices that are the product of and shape their own character. You can give them a perfect life full of the best upringing possible, but they must choose and become who they are. We grieve as parents when they make poor choices, and I know I have a boatload of this ahead of me. I feel for you. I wonder why they are lying? Is something happening in the class that makes them now want to attend? Do they not like music? Don't feel stupid. It's always right to extend trust. You didn't know your kids were lying to you.

Hang in there, Kelly. I don't have kids, but I watched my parents go through holy hell with my brother when he was in late jr. high and high school. He even got arrested for going on the grounds of his girlfriend's school and getting into a fight with a guy she said was coming on to her. Yeah, that was a fun phone call to hand over to my mom. Shocked Maybe your kids don't like music, but that's not the point. The point is the class is required and, therefore, they have to attend. When you're a kid. you don't get to make the choices of an adult. You'll figure out how to handle it, but definitely let them know how much they've hurt you by lying and that they've damaged the trust you've had in them. As for the teachers - Apologize to them personally, sincerely, but don't grovel. If they can't accept the apology with the sincerity with which it is delivered, then that's they're problem. You've stepped up to the plate and admitted you were wrong, and it sets a good example for your kids. Hang in there! It gets better around, oh, age 30 or so. Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hello All Just checking in to let you all know I didn't get lost in the woods during a training run. Sorry I haven't been very active of late. I've been so busy at work for weeks now that the last thing I want to do at night is look at a computer monitor. Kitrin - good advice from all. You'll do fine! Greg - good to hear the injuries are on the mend and you are running more. Kelley - and I thought I was busy! Leslie - nice photos. Are husbands supposed to do that? Big grin Later
                          Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                            Leslie - nice photos. Are husbands supposed to do that? Big grin Later
                            Once in a blue moon, just to eliminate all the negative points they've accumulated. Wink What a tough run this a.m.! Ugh!! Due to stomach issues yesterday, I didn't eat much in the afternoon or for dinner. Then it was very humid this a.m. Had to do 6 hilly miles, and I tell ya, by Mile 4 I wanted so badly to quit. My legs felt like they had lead weights attached to them. Managed a 10:12 ap, but it took everything I had to gut it out. Haven't had a week day run like that in a long time.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Wow, so much going on here this week. Thank you all for the encouragement! I am nervous, but I guess that is a good thing. Kelly, I will pray for you. Children are such a blessing, except when they freak out as teenagers. I think back on myself at that time and I feel a little ashamed sometimes. My husband was a youth pastor for six years and we met few parents who were prepared to think that their children were scheming, defiant, self-consumed ignoramuses. To be fair, some students are fantastic (and every variation in between), but they all have it in them, I guarantee it. Sometimes it comes out a little, sometimes alot, sometimes not at all, but all teens are trying out their ideas of independence and non-conformity without expectations of ramifications at one time or another. Sigh, I remember when I was smart like they are. I don't know squat now! Leslie, I feel your pain with the humidity. Definitely the toughest running environment. Greg, you deserve the success that you are earning! Your smart approach will really pay off in the Spring, I know it. Oldguy! Thanks for stopping in! I totally understand when work gets in the way of forum life. It has happened to me too. My job is very "all or nothing" and I disappear when in the "all" mode.
                                Hi everyone! I'll have to re-read this thread when I'm awake. Dead I haven't run any trails since the NC 50k in September...I'm itching to get back out there! Mostly because I snapped my ankle at mile 19 of that race and I've been nursing it and compensation issues, since then. Fortunately I've been able to maintain my mileage and work toward my goal race, the San Antonio Rock N Roll on the 16th. My friend is training for the Javelina Jundred and keeps asking me to run the trails but I don't want to risk injury this close to the finish. I have restarted treatment on my ankle that is still swollen! Ultrasound today and massage to break up the scar tissue. Fortunately, I work for a chiropractor and get free work done. Hopefully I'll be 100% by race day. RIght now I'm on the cusp of peroneal tendonitis but I'm hoping that the taper, treatments, and a good tape job will do the trick.

Jennifer mm#1231