Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team - NOV 2008 (Read 395 times)

What end of the California are you at? I'm way up north, about 1.5 hours from the CA/OR state line. Most of the events I've participated in are Pacific Coast Trail Runs. If you have other suggestions for California trail running events, I'd love to hear about them. Trails2Run is from the Auburn area, I believe. We're the only Californians here.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I am in San Diego...home of the aforementioned Noble Canyon 50k, PCT 50 miler, and San Diego 100 miler. I hope to be able to do the PCT 50miler after Boston next year...it's a few weeks later and I'm notorious for running myself to the point of injury whenever I race Roll eyes so I have to be careful of what I commit to. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! I won't keep you on the edge of your seats any longer-the parent/teacher conferences went fine. The music teacher was there and after some discussion my youngest is going to start playing base again and my oldest is sticking with his decision to not play and go to music composition instead. There! That's taken care of! What's the next bomb they're going to lay on me? Big grin So I got a 12 miler in today-all on roads (paved and dirt) just under 2 hrs. My longest run now to date. My IT was fine until the last 1/2 mile but it wasn't that bad so I'm not too worried about it. I'm going to NH tomorrow for a strength & conditioning clinic (continueing ed credits for me) all day so I won't get any miles tomorrow (almost like a rest day) but we'll be doing some hands-on learning with kettle bells, medicine balls and other training toys so that will be fun. I saw one of my new training clients this morning and she's all sore and happy from yesterday's workout Big grin-that means I did a good job. She worked with a trainer a few years ago that I know so my challenge was to kick her butt like he used to-talk about pressure! So far so good. I've got the house to myself-the kids are already gone with their Dad so I should be working on anatomy. I'll actually be on my own for most of the weekend. I go to NH tomorrow for the day and Jack is leaving tomorrow afternoon to go to Boston and race in the New England XC Championships for our club on Sunday. There weren't enough interested women to field a womens team plus I have no speed so that's why I'm not going (race against college chicks in bikini bottoms-yeah right-been there, done that-finish nearly last!) Have a fabulous weekend! Cool
        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, I do not know which is better, surviving the teacher meetings or the 12 mile run, LOL! Congrats on both. It is also good to hear that your boys are coming back into line. I am sure you will enjoy your weekend more with that monkey off your back. Leslie and Jennifer, sometimes I really miss the outdoor opportunities in CA. You guys are making me nostalgic. For my part, I am happy that my husband is able to come home and watch my race tomorrow. It is always nice to have a cheering section. Not only that, he is staying Sunday too! It has been WAY too long since we had two days in a row together. My body is really doing some strange stuff. I had night sweat issues this past week and I am feeling tightness in my chest sometimes again. I guess I have to stop procrastinating on finding an Endocrinologist out here and get some labs run. Sigh, I LOVED my Dr. in California. Cry Kitrin

Ultrachick

Good luck Kitrin! I hope the sweats and the chest tightness isn't an anxiety response to your race! Chill woman and have fun! At my recent ski instructor training clinic I went to, an instructor friend of mine told this great story on how he gets beginner skiers to calm down. He knows they're nervous and afraid and its fear that holds a lot of adults back from learning how to ski. So he tells them they have two buckets to pick from to put the fear-one is fear so that they stay all tense and nervous and the other is exhilaration so they can let go of the fear and just be in the moment of skiing down the hill. So which bucket? Have a great time and enjoy the moment! Kelly
            Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

This is short because I want to spend as much time as I can with my Hubby while he is here. I will post a longer report after he leaves. I finished the race and felt good for most of it. Time 2:02 which makes me VERY happy. I can't tell you how many times I had to pull to the side and stop for mountain bikes on the trail, so I guess I could have had a faster time too. SWEET! Thank you guys for the encouragement! I am totally psyched and have much more confidence in meeting my goal next year! Kitrin
                (race against college chicks in bikini bottoms-yeah right-been there, done that . . .
                Uh, no thank you! Nice run, Kelly. Glad your IT band is behaving itself. Good luck the Jack! Kitrin - Congrats on your run! Now that you have the first one out of the way . . . what's next?? Wink And yes, you need to get to a doctor and get things figured out before you put yourself outta commission. Today's run was tough, tough, tough. It was so humid here, and I think that contributed to my demise. I was only about 5 min into my run when I had to stop and take a bunch of deep breaths. I had that feeling like you can't take a deep enough breath? It didn't happen again after that, but I felt zapped the entire run. I was about 3 miles from finishing when I started getting really nauseated. I thought I had been taking in enough fuel, but obviously not. I finally had to turn around and head out. I was fine if I was running downhill or a flat, but any size of an incline, the nausea would get bad again. I am assuming the humidity took more out of me than I'm used to. I was literally dripping sweat after only 30 min and spent almost all of the balance of the run with no shirt on. It was just too uncomfortable. My hydration pack it so wet, you'd think it rained on me the entire time. I took in: 32 oz of fluids (GU2O/malto mix), 1 1/3 Clif bars, 4 shot blocks, and 2 S-caps. Plus I had a bagel w/cc about an hour before I ran (bagel - 50g carbs). When I got done, I went to my friend's house to shower, drink about 20 oz of milk w/Ovaltine, she fed me an apple and 2 pieces of toast, and about 1.5 hrs after the run, I had a veggie burrito. It's now about 5 hours since I finished and 3 hours since I ate the burrito, and I'm still hungry. Hope the rest of your weekend goes good -

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Congrats! Kitrin! Great race! Can't wait to see the report! Bummer about your run Leslie...how long were you out there for? Did you take it easy at the start and warm-up? Were you trying to keep your HR in a particular zone? So even though I don't have all the details...sounds like you're a big sweater (sweat a lot-not the big pink fuzzy kind LOL at my own joke Big grin) You said you took 2 S-caps-you probably needed more. The directions on the bottle recommend 1 every 30 min in humid conditions. Also, you could have been pushing it too hard for the conditions especially if you're not used to them. And unless your veggie burrito had some beans in it I think you should have had a burger to eat-more protein to help fill you up. I know you didn't ask for any advice but and you certainly don't have to listen but you have to have this stuff under control before your next race.....I just want to see you succeed Smile
                    Bummer about your run Leslie...how long were you out there for? Did you take it easy at the start and warm-up? Were you trying to keep your HR in a particular zone?
                    I was out there for 2:35:25 and did 14 miles. I took it easy for the first 5 min or so for a warm up. After that, I was trying to keep my HR between 150-160. I have it set to go off at 170 for when I'm climbing hills, and that lets me know to back off some.
                    So even though I don't have all the details...sounds like you're a big sweater (sweat a lot-not the big pink fuzzy kind LOL at my own joke Big grin) You said you took 2 S-caps-you probably needed more. The directions on the bottle recommend 1 every 30 min in humid conditions. Also, you could have been pushing it too hard for the conditions especially if you're not used to them. And unless your veggie burrito had some beans in it I think you should have had a burger to eat-more protein to help fill you up.
                    I do sweat when out there, but not as much as I was after the first 30 min, it was excessive for me. I wondered about taking more S-caps, but didn't follow through. I was pushing it like I've been suppose to be doing on these runs, even though I knew the humidity would be a problem factor - and it was. The veggie burrito had beans, rice, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, sour cream, and guac.
                    I know you didn't ask for any advice but and you certainly don't have to listen but you have to have this stuff under control before your next race.....I just want to see you succeed Smile
                    I'm up for any advise. I'm also wondering how much my stomach problems added to this run. I wasn't able to eat well Wednesday and was fairly careful Thurs and Fri. I think I need to start keeping a food log to ensure I'm eating enough for the mileage I'm putting in each week. I truly do appreciate any advise from Ms. 100-miler!! Big grin

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

This is short because I want to spend as much time as I can with my Hubby while he is here. I will post a longer report after he leaves. I finished the race and felt good for most of it. Time 2:02 which makes me VERY happy. I can't tell you how many times I had to pull to the side and stop for mountain bikes on the trail, so I guess I could have had a faster time too. SWEET! Thank you guys for the encouragement! I am totally psyched and have much more confidence in meeting my goal next year! Kitrin
                      Way to go Kitrin! Nice run! Can't wait for all the details. That's a good half mari split. Feels good to achieve a goal like that huh, especially with all the doubts beforehand. I think this is the aspect I like about ultra running too.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Just read your run info Leslie. My opinion is you may want to look at two things: hr, and hydration. You only took in 32 oz of fluid, on a day you are sweating like that, over 2 1/2 hours? The recommended amount of fluid intake under "normal" conditions is 20oz per hour. That means you should have had twice as much as you did,at least. The nausea, just to confuse you some more, may be due to too high of an intensity of effort, too little water, and too MUCH salt. Lack of water then adding salt is not a good combo. Check out this link www.sportsscientists.com/ and their posts on hydration and salt. These guys know what they are talking about. The only time I have taken salt on a run is during the 50 I ran, and it made me very nauseous. VERY. It was so unpleasant I never want to experience it again. I have been trying to figure this out for two years now. I haven't gotten nauseous since the 50 and I attribute it to slowing down, and not taking salt on my runs. You can trust your taste for salt. If you're curious as to whether you're getting enough, take a bite of a pretzel. It'll taste awesome if you need salt, not so great if you don't. If you're sweating a lot, you need more water than salt from what I've seen. You can take care of the salt need with very little. I used to get nauseous on my long runs before the 50 when they started hitting 3 hours. I slowed my pace to do low hr training, increased my runs up to 30 miles, and had no nausea. During the 50K I just did, lived on honey and water...no nausea. I got dehydrated for the last 10 miles though, and it made my run much harder. Punch all those variables into your computer and crunch em and let us know what you think. In nutrition, like the field of psychology, there is no metanarrative that rules the discussion. Or, as everybody likes to kick around now, we're all an experiment of one. I don't believe that, as I believe we're all the same for the most part biologically, but no one perspective on how to eat or train has won the day, currently. So you have to read, discuss, think, and apply and come to your own conclusions. To me, I'm enjoying the low hr training. I trained most of this year running in the hr's you're talking about, and it was tough. When my mileage got high, it hurt. When I slowed down to below 150 for all my runs, aches started to go away. It was still too high though as I was still experiencing tendonitis in my feet and my groin has a strain. I now keep my hr at 135-140, and I feel much better. I'm convinced this is the way to go, but that's just me. I know Kelly does low hr training too. I wonder if Jack does? I think I remember Kelly saying he does. It's much less stressful, but takes a long time to build aerobic fitness. I have a long ways to go, but I'm hoping for good things to come. I can run ~11:15/mile at hr of 135 for two hours currently. Now it's cooler again I'm expecting that to go even lower, or quicker. Give it some thought. Pick up Van Aaken's Method from Amazon for a buck, or Maffetone's Method. They're similar. Whatever, just my perspective. I ran for two hours, 9 miles, on the trails in the gorge. Very humid, near 100%. Felt great. Took in no calories, just water, all at hr=135-140. Beautiful. Stunning colors.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Part 1 I guess a race report should begin at the starting line, but I am starting the night before. Smile I tried to go to bed early. I headed to the bedroom at 9pm and hit the pillow shortly thereafter. However, I knew that my husband was arriving around midnight and that made it difficult to drift off. Then, my sister called around 9:45pm to give me instructions for my role as Natasha, a secret agent, passing clues over my cell phone to her kids for an adventure the next day. “That’s tomorrow?!? I am running my 15k tomorrow.” I said in dismay. “It’s okay,” she replied, “We will not call until around noon.” So now, worrier that I am, I had to move my phone and the “script” near my racing stuff to prevent me from forgetting them in the morning. If I did not, I would think about it all night. I slept a little before my Hubby arrived, but I knew I was not sleeping well. I reminded myself that some of my best training runs followed short or sleepless nights, and I tried to simply go with the flow. Up with the alarm, I dressed, loaded the car, and ate some oatmeal. I grabbed a yogurt (that I forgot to eat) and some water and we were on our way. We could not ask for better conditions for a race. Temp was 50, no clouds, no wind, no humidity. Once we arrived, I picked up my packet and wandered around, trying not to go to the bathroom every five minutes. I do that when I am nervous. The 50k runners started before the rest of us (30k and 15k people). When the time for our start finally arrived, I positioned myself at the back of the pack, determined to be the slowest person. As it turns out, those of us in the back strolled for the first quarter mile due to crowding anyway, so I had no worries about going out too fast. In fact, I was a little frustrated that the pace was as slow as it was until the group started to spread out. We all did quite a bit of walking because the trail is initially a rocky, up and down, sometimes slanted, single track and it is difficult to pass. Still, it was great that I did not have to worry about forcing myself to conserve. We also shared the trail with mountain bikers and had to pull to the side regularly to let them through.
                          Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Part 2 The course winds in and out of wooded portions along the northern shore of Lake Grapevine near DFW airport. By the time we pulled out of the first batch of trees near the shoreline, the trail flattened out and I had plenty of room to set my own pace. The lake was reflecting a beautiful blue sky, the birds were out in force, and I could enjoy the run. It seems that the “bad night before makes for a good run” theory is kinda true. I stayed conservative, checking my posture and breathing now and then, but felt fine. I had the feeling that my right ankle would be sore after the race (I was right) because the trail persistently slanted down to my left, but I hoped the return portion would compensate. My husband met me at the turn-around with my homemade mocha and a tank top, so I could change out of my long sleeves. I was happy to have the coverage at the start, but I was ready to shed it now. He said, “You look good,” I said, “I feel good,” and I took off again. It was so nice to have him there. My watch said 1:02 and I was excited. Maybe I can finish this in under 2:00 I thought. This trail is mostly uphill on the out leg, so I was VERY happy to have downhill for the return. I was in the bottom third of my running group, which is consistent with my performance during my one year of jr. high cross-country in the past. I finally found my stride and chugged along, pushing myself pretty hard I thought, until I hit my training threshold at 1:45. I slowed a little and breathed a little harder, but I knew I was close to the end. I knew I could force myself to the finish no matter what, even if I had to walk, but I wanted to finish strong. Almost as if it knew, my right calf muscle started to convulse when I rounded the last quarter mile and saw the end. The race ended along the shore (through squishy pebbles that moved like sand) and then up a ridge and stairs into a pavilion. I thought, “These trail runners are evil!” as I felt my calf complain more and more frequently. I couldn’t run those stairs, but I jogged the last 5-10 steps after them, so I consider that a victory. I had finished the longest distance of my life and I was not puking. My husband met me with flowers (how did he find time to pick those up?) and a loud “I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!” My watch said 2:02 and I was happy with that. I walked off the calf trouble, wiped myself down with a wet washcloth, and we went to eat and buy me some ice cream. I earned it.
                              Nice report, Kitrin! And I'm so happy your hub was there to share that experience with you. Flowers at the end?? Nice touch!! You did a great job and should be very proud of yourself. Greg and Kelly - Thank you for all your suggestions, comments, etc. I have to keep reminding myself that I've only been at this for a little over 2.5 years, so I'm still learning, learning, learning. I think I did push it too hard Saturday with regard to the humidity, and after my coach "ran the numbers" on what I consumed, he agreed that I probably didn't take in enough fluids. Re the salt pills, I just recently changed from Endurolytes to S-caps to see if there would be a difference. Since I have problems with nausea as a regular rule, sometimes it's hard to determine exactly what is making me nauseous. However, my next long run I am going to eliminate the S-caps, go back to the Endurolytes, take in more fluids and keep the solids at the same level as before. I also plan to take something like apples with me that I know I'll be able to shovel into my piehole and swallow without feeling like I'm going to gag - just to get some calories in me. Once I got solid food in me Saturday, I started to feel much better, and the apple went down a whole lot better than the toast. I work today, we're closed tomorrow, I work Wed., then I'm off to Riverside for a conference. Nice, shorty work week! Have a good one ~

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Kitrin, that was awesome! Great report! Your hubby's are all good guys. I'm going to have to up my game if I don't want to look like a dolt. Black eye Your run sounds awesome. It seems like the distance was just right for the amount of distance you covered in training evidenced by the cramping at the end. That's where you want it to happen if it has to! What now girlfriend?! Leslie, you got a good plan going; change one variable, keep the others constant, note effects. Let us know how it goes. This whole piece of the puzzle seems to take the most experimentation to figure out it looks like from reading and my limited experience.