Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team-SEPTEMBER (Read 447 times)

Kelly really is hardcore. I thought about joining a bootcamp and decided that training for my little half marathon was enough, LOL! I agree with Leslie that Kelly is nuts. Wink It seems silly compared to all the accomplishments of the rest of you, but I ran for one hour, twenty minutes today! I finished strong, with a sprint at the end, and my knee is fine. Okay, the trail is downhill at the end, but having the energy to sprint has to be a good sign. My funky toe went a little numb, but no blisters either! I have no idea how far I ran. I run loop-de-loops on a very small trail system in a local park and I did not want to run the same thing over and over and get bored. Right now, I am not so concerned about distance. If I keep increasing the time, the distance HAS to follow, right? Thank you all SO MUCH for your support and advice. I am beginning to truly believe I can do this! Kitrin
    Hey, shut that crap. Anybody who pushes their limits and is out exercising is to be lauded. Consistency and listening to your body will get you where you want to go, coupled with pushing it a little when you can. Those who run far now didn't before. Everybody starts somewhere and noone is to be belittled because they run shorter distances. If you want to do more, you will in time. Just ease it forward slowly. I did 8 this morning and was proud of myself, but I know it's not the 30 that some others do. So what. It was a better (less painful, easier sense of effort, faster pace) 8 than my 7 last Wednesday.That's improvement, and that's all that matters. Improvement from being smart, resting when I had to over the previous week, eating Ibuprofen, ice, and days off. Also less alcohol. It's a process girlfriend, and you're only competing against yourself. So, no more talk of silly little miles, kay? Cheers. Love ya girl.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

YEAH - What Buddo said! Every extended time, every extended mileage, be it a quarter, a half, a whole, is an accomplish. Increasing your mileage slowly is smart and will help to keep you from injuring yourself.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Blush Understood. Greg, Leslie, I will watch myself and, specifically, my self-talk. On to the question of the moment. When do I need to start carrying a bottle on my long runs? During the last ten minutes or so of my run, I felt "tingly." Does that mean that I might have been a little dehydrated? I worry about sloshing and the effect it will have on my running gait. What do you guys do? Kitrin
          Unless you're running in really warm/humid conditions and have stayed well hydrated prior to your run, you shouldn't need anything for runs up to an hour. If you're going to be out for longer than an hour, you would want to consider carrying fluids with you. One bottle (i.e. about 24 oz) should be sufficient to carry you through a second hour of running, but you also may want to consider using either a sports drink or a water additive, such as GU2O (I use a combo of GU and maltrodextrin to cut the sweetness of the GU). Anybody else have a suggestion, think my thinking might be off?

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Sounds reasonable to me. I usually don't drink unless it's over about 90min or especially hot (or humid, though it's never humid here).
              Only a coupla more days left in the month. Hard to believe . . . Undecided Yesterday did 3:16:?? at Fern Canyon again, which ended being somewhere around 14 miles. Was suppose to do 3 1/2 hours, but I got to the end and just couldn't bring myself to drag my butt back up the hills again for another 15 minutes. I'm hoping with tapering starting next week that my legs aren't so frigging tired so soon come the marathon. The first about 2h45min I felt great! Took some pics I'll have to wait 'til The Hub gets back to post. He has the cords that hook up in the computer with him in Chicago and our other camera. Have a good week!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Cool. Is your marathon road or trail marathon? I hope you're putting in the flat miles as well if it's a road. I did 15 flat last weekend pretty easy with a 10/mile pace or so. This week on the trails, 14:10/mile. Hills/hiking kills the pace. If all goes well through the winter, then maybe I'll be able to run those hills without hiking or bonking. I did 15 this weekend "ringing" the Wissahickon Gorge. Tough. Started at 4:30. Wet, foggy, dark. Spooky. Saw an owl, little guy about as tall as my hand is long, sitting on a branch about 3 feet from me next to the trail. Very cool. Hips hurt again and my nueroma's in my feet are hurting too. Pain is a frequent companion on my runs now. I don't get it. I'm getting discouraged. Motivation is flagging. Not sure what to do. Cry Boo frickin hoo. Luckily, I'm resting till tomorrow and eating Vitamin I, so we'll see. 4 planned for tomorrow morning. Kelly, you walking normal yet? Planning on doing another 100?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Hey Buddo - Maybe you need to back off the miles for awhile, then slowly build into them again. When you backed off a few weeks ago, your hips were feeling pretty good. Re the marathon - The Bizz Johnson is a rails to trails, so it's basically flat. I only run trails on Saturdays, so unless I'm doing specific hill work, my week day running is on the road. It was suppose to be me, my friend Karen, and our coach, but for various reasons, Karen can't go now. I'm looking forward to it.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Buddo - Maybe you need to back off the miles for awhile, then slowly build into them again. When you backed off a few weeks ago, your hips were feeling pretty good. Re the marathon - The Bizz Johnson is a rails to trails, so it's basically flat. I only run trails on Saturdays, so unless I'm doing specific hill work, my week day running is on the road. It was suppose to be me, my friend Karen, and our coach, but for various reasons, Karen can't go now. I'm looking forward to it.
                    I dunno. I'm getting sick of backing off and building back up. I think I may need to drop weight. I'maround 180 now. If I dropped 10lbs, I'm sure that would help.

Weight could definitely be part of the problem. My MAT person told me that if someone weighs 150 pounds, then when they are running and when a foot hits the ground, it's hitting with about 1,000 lbs. of pressure. I looked at him and said, "Dude, are you trying to tell me something? And BTW, I only weigh 144." Big grin (Ha! Just kidding! . . . about saying that too him, not the weight. Wink ) For some reason, I gained about 4-5 lbs about a couple of months ago and haven't been able to take it off. I keep getting told it's menopausal, but I'm inclined to think it's not. It didn't creep up on me, it felt like it was suddenly there. I can't help but think if I could take off those 4-5 extra pounds, or even a little bit more, it'd help my running. Unfortunately, I think it would be hard for me to maintain anything below 140 without half starving myself. Hang in there, Greg. Be patient and all this will work out.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Did a nice long "run" in the mountains over the weekend. It was more climbing than running, but still a great time to be out. Fall colors are near their peak. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
                          Okay - You live in a seriously cool place.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Chris, I agree with Leslie that you live in an amazing place! Thank you for posting the pictures. Greg, I am sorry you feel discouraged and I can understand why you are. For what it's worth (free), here is my opinion: Relax and have fun. I know that my running form is much smoother and stronger when I am not stressed or worried about run time or distance. My recent "AHA!" moment came when I started walking (not a stroll, aggressive walking that kept my heart rate elevated) after the pain appeared, then resumed the run very carefully after the pain subsided. Perhaps you are trying too hard to run through the pain? As they say, "walking is very beneficial exercise." Consider playing around with your gait. I did some "experimental runs" where I focused more on form than the "workout" and learned so much about how different postures and foot strikes affect my body. Right now, I am happy to say that I think I found something that works for me. My tendency was to lean into my runs and keep a heel to toe roll that simply was not working. If I hold my core strong and square my shoulders while keeping my heel strike towards the middle/back of my foot, everything is smoother. Also, I practice "soft striking" to minimize the impact. Huge benefits there. I wish I could explain myself better. HANG IN THERE GREG!!! Sometimes it takes a long time to get where you want to go, but I have faith that you will get there. Kelly!?!?!?!? Where are you? I want to hear how you are doing. Leslie, Good luck with the marathon. It sounds like fun and you have great scenery where you are. I am jealous of both you and Chris. All my best to all of you, Kitrin