Trail Runners

WELCOME! (Read 1060 times)

Get off the computer and get moving'!! Did that help with the motivation problem?? Confused Big grin Good to "see" you again, Kitrin. Come back and chat with us often.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hey Kitrin! Good to hear from you here too! Like Leslie said-come back and chat often! Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
      Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Okay, okay! I know what I have to do and I went out the door and did it. Considering today is the first break in over 17 days off 100 degree weather, one would think I would be chomping at the bit to run. That was not the case this morning. I did run, but my body was not so happy to do so. I guess motivation and attitude really are as critical as they are reported to be. Or perhaps I ate too many bread/wheat products over the last three days off of running. Maybe it was the chocolate ice cream last night (although I am inclined to believe chocolate ice cream is NEVER wrong, regardless of any evidence to the contrary). The most likely factor is starting out too fast and breaking down early. I do that too often and MUST learn to slow down in the beginning, especially when the beginning is uphill. I am going to investigate another possible trail running option this afternoon for variety. Running loops on the same trail every time could get old. Just checking in. Next time I will post in Neo-Trail runners. Kitrin
          Hello Everyone (I am new to this group), I hope Kitrin has some better runs in the near fututre. I'll bet your body just needs a chance to get back into the groove of running. I totally agree in theory about running different courses, but I often find a course I love and run it frequently. Right now I have to run at 4:30 AM so its good to start on an easy trial/dirt road until the sun comes up. I do not know about everyonelse but I find even with a good headlamp I cannot get my pace up enough on single track in the dark. So my route options are somewhat limited but I really like my current morning course and can hit more interesting trails on the weekend. One huge advantage of a loop course on long runs is the ease of storing water, gels etc. in the car. Anyway hope everyone is enjoying these later days of summer.

Ultrachick

Welcome CT! Where in CT? I live in VT and my SO's mother lives in Southbury. We also come down to run in the Nipmuck Trail Marathon as well as some other WMAC races. Post in the NEO thread-there's more action there. Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Carl A

Hey, I just realized that I never introduced myself here - sorry about that! I live in northeast PA, which has lots of hilly trails, mostly made by mountain bikes and quads. I'm currently mostly just a distance runner, but I'd like to also work on my marathon speed, and if I can do really well, maybe I'll go for a BQ. When my legs are tired, I swim, and I'm also thinking of training for a distance swim next summer. A couple friends and I have been organizing a free rail-trail race (the Viaduct Trail Ultra) for the past two years, and it's starting to grow into a solid event. Like most of us amateur athletes, finding time to train is the tricky part - I'm currently working a full-time editing job and teaching classes four evenings a week. Luckily I can eat at my editing desk, so lunch breaks are my training time. Weekends I like to spend time with my family (we have three elementary-aged boys) or working on house projects, but I can often get out for an early-Sunday-morning run.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Glad you introduced yourself, Carl. It's a nice little forum, and with all of your running experience, I'mm sure you can offer some good advie. Don't be shy! Smile
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                  Hi, Carl! Welcome to our little community. Feel free to jump in wherever you want, at any time. We're a pretty friendly bunch here, and always welcome the adventures of other trail runners.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi, I'm new here. Just another runner who enjoys hitting the dirt! As the Michigan days get shorter, and I'm forced to run roads more and more often (haven't tried headlamp trail runs yet), I'm glad to have a forum where I can at least talk about trail running! During the longer daylight days of the year, I try to run trails as often as possible for the beauty, challenge, and lack of dodging cars/leaf blowers/lawn mowers. Here in SE Michigan we have some fun trail races, including the Serious Series (3 races spaced through summer), which I've had the pleasure of doing 2 years now: http://www.runflirt.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=18. Thanks for starting this group! Susan
                      Welcome, Susan! We're a small but close group. Feel free to join us at Neo Trail Runners, as well. We run the gamut from experienced to new trail runners who love to support one another. I haven't tried dark trail running yet, either, but would like to some time. Good luck with the cold winters!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Welcome Susan!!

under a rock

Hi, I've just started trail running recently. I'm historically a road runner but I'm constantly battling my IT band. After doing some research I decided to add at least one trail run a week to get away from the pounding and repetitive motion of road running that encourages my IT band to act up. I'm loving the trails. Now, I'm planning on trail running 2 days a week instead of just one. Luckily I have lots of options within 30 mins of my home.

Hopefully I can pick up some tips from this group. I'm in awe of those of you doing ultra distances, very inspiring. The picture thread makes me want to get out there and run!

Welcome, Ashley!!  Come join us on the monthly thread.  We're getting more participants, and there's a lot of experience.  We have beginners all the way to 100-milers.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Finally joined this group. I never knew about it!!

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Welcome, Sara.  We have a monthly thread, as well.  Hope to see you there.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance