Trail Runners

Drop Bags - Need advice (Read 202 times)

What type of "bag" do I use? What sort of stuff do I put in it?
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

You'll ruin your knees!

Landy, I use these for drop bags... and they work GREAT! The clear bag allows me to see the contents without having to dig around in the bag. That said, I would not generally use a drop bag for a 50K. The aid stations will have good food/drinks, etc. If you think you want to change shoes, put shoes/socks in the bag...a change of shirts isn't a bad idea. Also, if you have special dietary needs, you can put your favorite snack items in the drop bag...I always put Ensure in mine! If the weather is "iffy", you can dress warm at the start and drop a jacket in your drop bag when you get there...lots of flexibility... Again, if you don't need a drop bag for a marathon, you probably won't need one for the 50K... Best of luck! TRT should be awesome! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Best of luck! TRT should be awesome!
        Speaking of which, will the course be affected by all the fires they've had there recently?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Landy, I use these for drop bags... and they work GREAT! The clear bag allows me to see the contents without having to dig around in the bag. That said, I would not generally use a drop bag for a 50K. The aid stations will have good food/drinks, etc. If you think you want to change shoes, put shoes/socks in the bag...a change of shirts isn't a bad idea. Also, if you have special dietary needs, you can put your favorite snack items in the drop bag...I always put Ensure in mine! If the weather is "iffy", you can dress warm at the start and drop a jacket in your drop bag when you get there...lots of flexibility... Again, if you don't need a drop bag for a marathon, you probably won't need one for the 50K... Best of luck! TRT should be awesome! Lynn B
          Lynn - Where do you find those bags? At a typical grocery store? I'm thinking maybe a change of socks, an extra shirt, hum.....not sure what else. The aid stations should have all the food and water, etc., that I need. Oh- maybe the drink powder I prefer. Yeah - TRT should be beautiful, which is why I'm doing it. I was reading a recent WS report on another forum, and the guy talked about how he pruposely didn't participate in teh Memorial Day training runs, becasue he wanted it all to be new and an adventure. That's how I feel, too. One of the main reasons for doing the TRT is to see some really cool areas I wouldn't typically be able to get to without either backpacking or a long run on my own, which takes alot more planning, and arranging to have somenone join me, for safety. Jeff- No the, Angora fire is across the lake from this run. I'm sure it affected portions of the TR Trail itself (which goes all the way around the lake), but not the portion I'll be on. I'm gettting a little freaked by the difficulty and the altitude - but I'm trying to stay positive and just go enjoy it, whatever I end up being able to do that day. Thanks for positive thoughts.
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

You'll ruin your knees!

Yep, grocery store will do. They may be a little large if you don't have much to put in them... As for the drink, you should be able to find out from the race website or email the RD to find out what they are serving other than water. I usually carry my own Clip2 powder (up to 50K), or put it in drop bags for longer races. You shouldn't have all that much trouble with altitude, you are in Auburn and the highest point of the race, althought it might be a little uncomfortable, will not last long, as you will move up and down through it to lower levels... Oh, be sure and take a camera...even if it's one of those disposable kinds...they are light and you will want a few pictures from the race! Good luck, you'll be fine! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Lynn - The style you recomended worked great! I got a smaller size, maybe about 1-1/2 gallopn or so, and that was plenty. To make it easier to spot in the crowd of bags at the drop, I tied a bandana around the handle of the bag. Thanks for the great info!
                Landy, I use these for drop bags... and they work GREAT! The clear bag allows me to see the contents without having to dig around in the bag. Lynn B
                I couldn't see the picture, but I guess others could??

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I couldn't see the picture, but I guess others could??
                  I think it got moved - it's basically very large ziplock or hefty brand bags, that actually have a handle. They are extra thick plastic, and come in XXL, etc. I found them at Target. I'll try to find a pic to post here soon.

You'll ruin your knees!

don't know why the pic doesn't show up now, here it is...

Ah! Thanks!!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance