Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - August 2010 (Read 492 times)

Welcome to another month, my Dirty Friends.  What's on the agenda?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

Had a nice 14 mile run this morning with awesome weather conditions for once, overcast, foggy, and low 70's for the high. What a nice way to start August. I just wish it would stay like this for the whole month.
      Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Agenda? Hmm...

Starting transition to full-time barefoot (and FiveFingers) running, now that goal race is out of the way.

Have a 50-mile trail race Aug 28. But, given my commitment to the transition, I'll likely be dropping down to marathon or half. (Maybe...)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Very quiet in in here . . . .ssshhhhhh - we don't want to disturb those who are sleeping.  Oh heck -

HELLO!!!!!  WHERE IS EVERYONE????

18 leg killing trail miles this morning with Karen and Coach Bill.  Well, Coach did about 13.  He contemplated running the full 18, even though it wasn't on his schedule, but early in the run, he hit a root wrong and did decent little number on his ankle.  It was starting to bark at him when he decided to call it quits.

I wanted to call it quits around Mile 7.  My legs were like chunks of concrete all day.  It even got to where it was hard to go downhill - Horrors!   Oh well.  Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug.  I was the  proverbial bug today.

Now I'm off to work on conference crap, then we're suppose to fillet an albacore when The Hub gets off work, then we're suppose to go to a BBQ.  Glad I got a chocolate milkshake to fortify  myself.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Doing some long runs this month to round out my training for the Wasatch 100 on Sept 10.  I finally feel mostly recovered from Hardrock.  It probably didn't help my recovery by doing a 4-day stage race last week.  It was fun though... and I won, which is fairly amazing, cause I never win anything. 

under a rock

I did 15 trail miles today, my longest trail run, on a very tough trail. I feel pretty good and my IT band and I have been getting along famously. I'm thrilled! 

I am ready for summer to go away. I find myself walking hills that I never would have dreamed of walking two months ago. Even if I get up at 4:30 am to run it's just as miserable as 9 am, may not be as hot but it's more humid making it feel just as hot. If I weren't training for a marathon in Oct I'd probably be doing a lot fewer miles.

Congratulations on the win, Chris!!

Runs - Good job on your run.  I think we're the only part of the country that's not experiencing any heat - at all.  I'd be happy if we got close to 60 degrees.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Y'all will like this. Today, during my lunch break, when I pulled up to the local state park and started to change, I found I had left my shorts at home. What's a boy to do? Run in his underwear of course. TOLD you you'd like it!! Ran the whole way seeing only one person. My wiener popped out my fly a couple of times and I had to discreetly pop it back in. That was right at the start when I had to work things out as far as the logistics of the whole thing goes. Very freeing. My underwear, and I' sure you'll like this even more, was camoflouge, so the one dude who passed me may not have even noticed. 94 degrees and blazing sun helps to keep the other runners down, thankfully. First time for everything. Can't wait to run in the buff some day. Should be a thrill, for me at least. Later. By the way, check out Uranus. It's awesome.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

under a rock

Y'all will like this. Today, during my lunch break, when I pulled up to the local state park and started to change, I found I had left my shorts at home. What's a boy to do? Run in his underwear of course. TOLD you you'd like it!! Ran the whole way seeing only one person. My wiener popped out my fly a couple of times and I had to discreetly pop it back in. That was right at the start when I had to work things out as far as the logistics of the whole thing goes. Very freeing. My underwear, and I' sure you'll like this even more, was camoflouge, so the one dude who passed me may not have even noticed. 94 degrees and blazing sun helps to keep the other runners down, thankfully. First time for everything. Can't wait to run in the buff some day. Should be a thrill, for me at least. Later. By the way, check out Uranus. It's awesome.

You crack me up! LMAO

Damn, where is everybody? I post a funny joke, the first post in like six weeks I think, and I get one response. Y'all are slippin.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Imminent Catastrophe

OK, here ya go.

Mile 6.5 and 12.5 of Humpy's Marathon:

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ran the Bradbury Breaker (9 miles) at the beginning of the month, and just will be getting out and practicing the course for the Bruiser (12 miles).

Apparently, I need the practice, since I cracked my head open on my first solo run on the course.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ultrachick

Wow sure is quiet....Buddo-that's awesome, running in your underwear!!! I'm laughing!! Blaine-nice crack on the head! Are you in Maine? so your race was at Bradbury State Park? I stayed there the night before Pineland Farms 50m Memorial Day weekend and am friends with Jamie Anderson who lives somewhere near there. Chris-congrats on the win!! And you're going to Wasatch?! Lucky!! I crewed for Jack there in 2008. Awesome race with Geoff Roes winning and Jack tight on Andy Jones-Wilkens heels. The scenery is to die for and I really didn't want to come back to VT.

Speaking of scenery as I sit here, home alone, boys are with their Dad and Jack is running Leadville 100. My friend, Aliza, is out there too running in the Trans Rockies race starting tomorrow and she's called with some updates and I guess he's doing OK. His salt and electrolytes were a bit out of balance at the turn around so hopefully he adjusted his intake accordingly and is feeling better.

I'm doing fine. Busy like always with the boys, work and training. I'm five weeks out from Virgil Crest 100 in NY. This is the same 100 miler I've been doing for the past couple years just with a new name and slightly more difficult course. I had an off week last week but am back on track this week. I'm running in a 30k race tomorrow. I don't care how I do or how long it takes me and I'm going to run 4m before to get 22m for the day. It's at the trail center where I run a lot and on a course I run a lot so maybe that's why I'm uninspired to be competitive.

I've signed up for college algebra this fall. It's been so long I didn't do well on a math assessment test to get into pre-calculus which is a pre-req for physics. I'm rethinking my career path that instead of working towards being a physical therapist work towards physical therapist assistant. It's a two year undergrad program so I'd be done sooner and cost less money. Only problem is the closest program is in NH-an hour and a half away and none of the courses are offered online.

Hope everyone has a good weekend-Good luck at Wasatch, Chris!

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Blaine-nice crack on the head! Are you in Maine? so your race was at Bradbury State Park? I stayed there the night before Pineland Farms 50m Memorial Day weekend and am friends with Jamie Anderson who lives somewhere near there. 

Yup, it was at Bradbury State Park.  Jamie's a good guy, I ran the Bruiser course with him yesterday.  He lives close enough that we get to run with him at least a few times a month, but far enough that he doesn't make it to every trail run, unfortunately.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I just want to report that our very own John Ramsay (another one) finished the Leadville 100 trail race yesterday in 26:09.  He was paced for the final 50 miles by WrigleyGirl.   

Anton Krupicka, unfortunately, had to drop out of the race. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus