Trail Runners

Ultraterri - SC Ultra Trail Series 2010 (Read 410 times)

Happy

Ultraterri has posted the Trail Series Calendar for 2010. It starts with a blast: 24-hour trail run in Lynch's Wood in April. There is also a 50M on the program later in the year. I want to run them all!

http://ultrasontrails.com/
    5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
    wanderingoutlaw

Thanks for posting this, flower.  Not sure if I'll be ready for an ultra at some point this coming year, but I'll try to volunteer at some of these.

John

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for posting that! Terri puts on a great race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

PerferssorR,

There is a 50M on the program and also an opportunity to run 50 miles on the 24 hours trail event. 24 hours.........

_

John, 

It would be fantastic if you volunteer; Terri really needed more volunteers at the 40/50 FATS in October. She would be very happy to hear from you and she herself is a passionate runner and an inspiration to all of us. Just being around her makes you think you can do more than you thought you could before you met her - it's magic. 

_

I will say this: If I can do it, anyone can do it - it's that simple. If I waited until "I am ready" I would never get to do anything because for some reason it seems I am never quite ready and everything doesn't always fall perfectly into place as planned. Part of the beauty of doing Ultraterri's trail runs is that you don't have to be perfect or be 100% on top of your game on race day - just go out there and enjoy the day, enjoy the people and the beautiful nature, the weather, feeling your body move - enjoy it all. And there is plenty of support if your goal is to simply finish the event,  to complete it - that's huge. I look forward to seeing you there.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Imminent Catastrophe

flower,

I'm looking at that 24-hour race now. I've never done more than 52k but this would be great! Everything you've said about Terri is true, she's awesome! 

I ran my first and only Ultraterri race in 2007, when a tropical storm hit during the race. At the time I was thinking, "This sucks, I should withdraw". Then once I got into it, it was a lot of fun. I'm so glad I did it. I hope to see you there.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

I just signed up for all 5. I can't wait. It'll be a tremendous series.

I'm not sure what goal I want to set for the 24 hour race. I think 40 miles for sure. Maybe 50. We'll see. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Happy

I just signed up for all 5. I can't wait. It'll be a tremendous series.

I'm not sure what goal I want to set for the 24 hour race. I think 40 miles for sure. Maybe 50. We'll see. 

Very cool!!!!

_

I am doing the 24 hour Lynch's Wood run too; I am not sure what to set as a goal in terms of miles - Terri encourages everyone to run their age. How I wish I was younger.....

The age would be 50miles for me. I just don't feel I am ready to take on 50 miles yet. Until a month ago a 50K seemed like a huge challenge. But April is a long way away so I have time to figure out what it's going to be.

_

I'll be cheering on you for the 50 miles!

...---...

I'll be cheering on you for the 50 miles!

Whoa...hold on there cowgirl. I said maybe 50. ;-) Last time at Lynch's, I was wasted after 32. Thinking about doing 12 more than that. Whew.... Maybe. Just Maybe. 

I kind of like the run your age thing. It'll still be tough, but less daunting. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Happy

Whoa...hold on there cowgirl. I said maybe 50. ;-) Last time at Lynch's, I was wasted after 32. Thinking about doing 12 more than that. Whew.... Maybe. Just Maybe. 

I kind of like the run your age thing. It'll still be tough, but less daunting. 

OK, so a big MAYBE in there for the 50 miles. LOL!!

The Lynch's Woods course has changed!  Has anyone run on the new trails in Chester?  She says the trails are horse trails, so I'm a little concerned after the Black Warrior mudfest:

Hello Runners,
                      I have some bad news - and some good news. First, let's get the bad news out of the way. I have been notified by the City of Newberry that I can not hold the 24 Hour Run in Lynch's Woods Park. Due to the number of entrants signed-up, already more than expected, and damage done to the trails from winter storms, they feel we would impose too great an impact on the park. Also, they have reconsidered and decided they don't want us in the park overnight.
                      Now, the good news - the 24 Hour Run is not cancelled. Remember, I have the goal of running 67 miles for my birthday, so the run must go on. It is now the Woods Ferry 24 Hour Run. I won't be stopped. I will just change venues. Even though I was looking forward to a run in my backyard, after going to Woods Ferry, I do feel it will be a better site.
                      The start/finish will be at Woods Ferry Recreation Area in Chester County, about 20 miles from Chester. This is a National Forest Campground with 30 campsites, $7 per night fee, 6 women's and 6 men's flush toilets, 4 showers, plus a picnic area with 2 covered shelters and additional picnic tables located alongside the Broad River with plenty of parking available.
                       There are several connecting trail loops designated hiking/horses and I have planned out a lollipop course that will be 8 to 9 miles in length. I will know the exact distance after I measure it. Since I am just now throwing this together, I haven't worked out all the details yet. The trails are in good condition except for some spots that have been torn-up from horse traffic. They are gently rolling with very few rocks and roots, several stream crossings, part single-track and part wide trails more like a dirt road. One draw-back - if we get substantial rain right before raceday, there will be mud. Also, this is an area out in the boonies, but hey, isn't that what trail running is all about?
                      Directions to Woods Ferry: From Highway 121 and 72, go north on secondary route 25, Leeds Road, toward Leeds for 2.1 miles to Chester County S-49, Woods Ferry Road. Continue north on S- 49 for 3.6 miles to SC Hwy 574, turn left and continue 3.6 miles to Woods Ferry.
                      On Hwy 121/72, there is both a brown sign for Woods Ferry Recreation Area and a sign for Leeds. At Hwy 574, there is a brown sign for Woods Ferry.
                      From Highway 9: Go south on Chester County S- 49, Woods Ferry Road to Hwy. 574, turn right to Woods Ferry. I have not taken this route, so don't know the distance on S-49.
                      For those of you camping, Woods Ferry will be much better. However, those staying in motels will be farther from the race and in view of this, I am moving the start time to 7:30 AM to give you more time to get there. The nearest motels are in Chester. I have only found a couple online and know nothing about them.
                      I do apologize if this change causes an inconvenience to any of you and will understand if you now choose not to participate. I would appreciate you letting me know if this will not work for you and you will not be coming. The website will be changed in the next few days to give the new information.
                      Thanks so much for your understanding and I hope to see all of you April 17th.

Terri Hayes

Happy

Jen,

Thanks for posting this. I received that email too - but I read it in your post before I had checked my email 

I loved Lynch's Wood last year and it doesn't take me too too long to drive there in the morning so I will miss it in some ways. On the other hand, I feel very optimistic about the alternative that Terri has found for us. Where does she get all that energy from at her age? Must be from running ultras on trails, right!!!!! Seems to me it's a good way to stay young.

I don't have the opportunity to travel much out of state for events of any kind so I am a sucker for local events - I guess I am game  And I hope to see you there too!!!

Imminent Catastrophe

Crap, Chattooga River 50k filled up! I gotta stop procrastinating.

MTA: Nah, maybe later..

Happy

Ha, ha you are funny!! Why not wait until next year? If you wait a little longer the other events will fill up too - don't hurry. whatever you do 

I missed The Myrtle Beach Marathon one year because I didn't feel my training was going well; so I didn't go even though I had paid. Next year, I waited until December to register because I wanted to make sure I wasn't injured before registering - voila, the registration closed and I couldn't run it. With this experience in mind, I decided to register early in 2009 so I wouldn't miss the opportunity to run. I registered as soon as registration opened. You all know what happened this year - I didn't run it due to snow cancellation. It's an irony!!! Can't get it right.

While I was down there watching the snow from my hotel room I decided to go outside for a run on the beach before heading home. Thousands of other runners were outside running in the snow too - what's a runner supposed to do? 

The snow and sand bunched up under my shoes while running on the beach so I decided to turn onto the road for better footing and complete my run there. While running on the road (part of the marathon route) I realized, that I was not particularly fond of the thought of running a marathon on those roads. The route is very boring - just passing lots and lots of hotels and businesses, a few homes etc - flat and fast. I realized that I had gotten very spoiled from running on trails and all I could think of was how wonderful I thought it was when I ran my two trail 50Ks last fall. That's what I want to do more than regular crowded commercial road marathons.

If you really want to run it, you can get on the waiting list.   I think a lot of the folks on the waiting list got to run last year.  I may be biased because it was my first 50K but it's still my favorite!

Imminent Catastrophe

If you really want to run it, you can get on the waiting list.   I think a lot of the folks on the waiting list got to run last year.  I may be biased because it was my first 50K but it's still my favorite!

Yes, Terri said I could email her a week before the race to see if any slots opened. How did you find the navigation? Her races aren't a piece of cake, they're marked as advertised but it's not hard to get off the trail IME.