Trail Runners

Neo-Trail runners Extreme team-June 08 (Read 350 times)

And here is THE BEST shrimp cocktail recipe. Oh my!!! Mm mm mm mm good!: The Shrimp Cocktail Recipe courtesy Alton Brown (FoodTV) 32 shell-on (21 to 25 count) tiger shrimp For the brine: 1/4 cup kosher salt 1/4 cup sugar 1 cup water 2 cups ice For the cocktail sauce: 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained 1/2 cup prepared chili sauce 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish 1 teaspoon sugar Few grinds fresh black pepper 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon olive oil Sprinkle Old Bay seasoning Using a pair of scissors or a serrated knife, make an incision down the backside of the shrimp, following the intestinal track. Eviscerate shrimp and rinse under cool water leaving shells intact. Place cleaned shrimp into a bowl with brine and refrigerate mixture for 20 to 25 minutes. While shrimp are brining, place tomatoes, chili sauce, horseradish, sugar, pepper, and salt in food processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate cocktail sauce until ready to serve. Place a baking sheet or broiler pan under oven broiler and preheat for 5 minutes. Remove shrimp from brine and drain thoroughly. Rinse the shrimp under cold water and dry on paper towels. In a large bowl, toss shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning, if desired. Place shrimp onto a sizzling sheet pan and return to broiler immediately. After 2 minutes, turn the shrimp with a pair of tongs. Return the shrimp to broiler for 1 minute. Transfer to a cold cookie sheet. Refrigerate immediately. Once shrimp have chilled, arrange with cocktail sauce in a martini glass or as desired.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Okay, let's not get carried away. Your original post with the wine cooler recipe was funny, but now you're pushin it. I made some sangria once. Went to internet, googled 'sangria', got a couple hundred replies. I guess there's a lot of people out there trying to lose touch with those they don't like. I always describe Bacardi Silvers to those who ask how it tastes (my wife like them. they hurt my stomach) that they taste like sprite with a shot of liqour. On my honeymoon I had a mimosa-uh, real nice. Simple, yummy...oj and champagne.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Been a few days since anyone's ventured in here. My regular Saturday trail run. 2.75 hours with 25 minutes of steady state. I got behind on my nutrition during the run and through the rest of the day and ended up feeling really tired. Got me out of having to go to a party tonight that I didn't want to go to, so that's a plus! Smile Instead, I'm sitting here watching chick flicks, drinking dedav coffee, and eating a donut. So much for the 5 pounds I need to lose. Blush It was a gorgeous day and a bit humid (not by Eastern Coast and Southern standards, albeit.), and I was pretty salty by the time I got done with my run, even though I took an Endurolyte every half hour after the first hour. How's everyone else doing these days???

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

14.5 miler on trails. Carrying a hydration pack, 3L, with phone and camera, probably weighed 12+lbs. Had to put on my ipod to tune out the noise of sloshing water, but it didn't bounce too bad. Big disappointment with the noise though as I usually run without headphones, and it is very distracting. Hips didn't hurt which was a good sign. I wore different shoes, and was on steep trails, and had the backpack instead of the hip bottles, so I have some more experiments to do controlling for those extraneous variables to try and pin it down. I felt some sharp pains in my outer r knee, which is actually good because that points to ITB, which helps narrow things down a bit. Still searching for the source of pain. Tough run. 90 degrees, high humidity, carrying 12lbs extra, steep trails, poor food=not much fun after first hour. First hour was a blast, then things got harder. Tried choking down Skittles for energy, and got 2 doses down, but they are sickening sweet, as is the Cytomax I tried last week. May have to try real food next. Started dragging during second and third hour. A successful run though. Happy to get the distance in what with the hips and a tough cold since Tuesday. What'd y'all do?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

90 degrees, high humidity, carrying 12lbs extra, steep trails, poor food
            The weather temp/humidity sounds horrible. Ugh! Re the Cytomax. My coach has cutting my GU2O w/maltrodextrin. It really helps with the sticky sweetness, which I can't stand. Re eating real food, I was cruisin' around on the Internet the other day looking at carb-related sites. Did you know that quinoa has a whopping 117 grams of carbs in one cup?!? I always knew quinoa was highly nutritious, but I never looked at the carbs before. Here's some comparisions: Quinoa - 1 cup = 117.13 g carbs Long Grain Brown Rice (cooked) - 1 cup = 44.77 g Spaghetti (enriched) - 1 cup = 39.68 g Spaghetti (whole wheat) - 1 cup = 37.16 g Potato, baked, flesh and skin, without salt 21.15g potato large (3" to 4-1/4" dia) 63.24g Potato, baked, flesh and skin, without salt 21.15g potato medium (2-1/4" to 3-1/4" dia.) 36.59g Potato, baked, flesh and skin, without salt 21.15g potato small (1-3/4" to 2-1/2" dia.) What happened to the pancakes you used to carry?? Wink Today's a total sloth day. Thought I'd get to the mowing and painting, but 'taint gonna happen. It's 1:00, and I haven't even got out of my PJs. I . . . am . . . quite . . . happy. Big grin

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kelly - I was just reviewing the running schedules under "Trail Running Events . . ." You have quite the schedule set out before you. Good luck!!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Thanks for the luck-I can always use it. My weekend was nothing exciting. I had to get my long runs done during the week because I had Mat Pilates Level 2 training all day Sat & Sun. I passed and my abs and low back are telling me I did! I did an easy 3 mile run/walk with a class I lead on Mondays-for the past couple weeks I've been doing my planned 4 miles as well. But since I reached an all time high last week for miles (72) and there was a raging thunderstorm on the way home from work I decided 3 was enough. Jack finished 4th in his age group at Mt Washington even though he was 2 minutes faster than last year. Then he and a friend dodged lightening bolts on a Presidential Range Traverse in NH on Sunday. Kids are in lacrosse camp this week which will keep them out of trouble and from driving me crazier than usual. Catch up with you later.... Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                  I do miss my pancakes Cool. I'm trying to just use liquids for quicker energy. The Skittles were a last minute thing. I used the Cytomax the week prior. Maltodextrin is the main ingredient in that. It worked well for energy, but just was super sweet. Better than the Skittles though. They were nasty, like eating raw sugar. Still experimenting with it all. Trader Joe bars and Fig Newtons worked real well last year. Honey Stinger packs (like Gu) worked real nice too a few weeks ago. That Quinoa looks nice. I may give that a swing. Hope you both are well. I'm resting from running till tomorrow to try and give the hips a break as I try and figure out the problem. I may have to get new shoes-gasp!

Try gummy bears. When I was nauseated on my run, I was actually able to get those down fairly easily. Will definitely be taking them with me in July. New shoes - What fun!!! Big grin

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Gummy bears are a no go. Ate some during the VT50, hated em. It doesn't help that I hate candy.

It doesn't help that I hate candy.
                        You don't like candy?!? Are you sure you're human?? Wink (I'm currently addicated to York Peppermint Patties.) I was lookin' at the fat contents of shortcake, like the little ones you buy for strawberry shortcake. 100 calories, 10 are fat, 22g of carbs. You get your sugar, your carbs, and nice sorta pastry treat all in one! Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kelly - Was looking at your log. Only 3 miles so far this week??? Slacker. Wink

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

I know-I'm behind in my log. I'm going to get it caught up here shortly. Life is starting to slow down a little. Lacrosse practice was canceled Monday night, the soccer play-offs were canceled Monday night as well. We're working with another family getting our kids back and forth to lacrosse camp during the day this week. Tuesday night was a weekly 5K trail race as well as soccer practice. Wednesday night is mtn bike race night at the same trail center as the 5K. Tonight the kids are going mtn biking with a local mtn bike club at the same trail center so while they're riding I'll get my run in. Tomorrow, my youngest is leaving at 6am to go to NJ for a soccer tournament for the weekend. My ex may or may not be coming up to take my older son this weekend. I got asked to be the runner on a relay team for an XTerra triathlon here Sunday morning. It's only 4 miles so I'll get a little speed work in and get the rest of my long run after (20 on Sunday). That's my life this week. I've been going to bed at 11:30pm and getting up around 5-5:30am. I have a 50 miler coming up on July 5 which I should do well at looking at previous results. However, if I don't start getting more sleep it could be ugly. I'm off to my training log. Kelly
                            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                              As I'm sure you all know by now, Western States has been cancelled due to fire danger and terrible air quality. Sad My first casualty of ultra running is upon me. I'm definitely going to lose one of my toenails. Probably just in time for our next 50k in a couple of weeks. Evil grin

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Cool. I haven't lost any yet, and don't want to.