Trail Runners

Neo-Trail runners Extreme team-March 08 (Read 295 times)

Well, well, I go away for two months and the whole thing falls to crap. Fattie fat, where are you? Nothing, you too? Cry As you can see, I'm back, sort of. I couldn't resist the siren song of the trails once again, nor could I see my feet anymore and my pants are way too tight. I put on 20+ pounds, all around the middle. So, I hit the woods again, this time with my dog who I hope to whip into shape too. Previously my runs were too long to bring her fat a** on. Now however, with my Saturday long run two days ago consisting of 3.75 miles, she should be able to keep up and we can build our miles together. She's an awesome dog and I'll make sure I post some pictures of her. I WILL LEARN TO POST PICTURES! I sure hope you guys are still around. Lots of love. Gregolowe, Greg. Smile

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

You gotta be f'n kidden me! Where the hell are you guys?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

I'm here! I'm here! People quit postin' and I got tired of talking to myself. Too many voices in my head already without bringing them into this thread. Glad you're back on the trails again and ready to get rid of the gut. Be kind to the pooch. If she's not used to running, it'll be hard on her - - even with four legs. My running buddy, Karen, got a dog about a week or so ago, so we'll soon have company on the trails, as well. This Saturday is my first trail event of the year, Pirate's Cove 30k through www.pctrailruns.com. I'm a bit nervous as I've had some issues with my hip flexor over the last couple of weeks. However, I've been doing extra stretching, using my foam roller, saw a masseuse last week, and will again this Thursday. I'll post a report and pics. Hey - Glad to have you back! I now have someone to talk to re trails. Kelly/Ultrachick is still around, but other than that . . . nada. Maybe we can get this thing up and going again.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi everyone, Used to follow you guys on CR but never posted, so I thought why not join in. Hope your run went well fatozzig. I live in WA and was down in the bay area last month and did the Sequoia 20k by PCTR. That was a lot of fun. They don't seem to believe in switchbacks on those trails. Did the Chuckanut 50k here last weekend but had to drop at just over 21 miles due knee pain. Those pictures posted of the Trinity alps were great. There is a spot in WA kinda similar called the enchantments. Need to do a run up there sometime. Have fun running everybody. Jim
            Hey guys! I used to post to the thread sporadically over on CR also. When everyone made the move over here, it took me quite a while to find this group (the link that had been posted on CR just took me to the main group page). By the time I did, Leslie was just talking to herself, and I found that a little disturbing... Big grin Greg, glad to here that you've seen the error of your ways, and came back to the trails. I've been out a few times this year, just on a local trail. I've been fighting PF in my right foot and had a couple weeks of being down with the flu, so not as much running time overall as I'd like. but, I think I've finally got everything back under control. Now if it will just stop raining here so that the trail doesn't drown, and I can run this weekend, I'll be happy. Lorrie
              Yahoo! We have a group again! Fattie, you were the driving force behind this thread. Sorry to leave you high and dry. I hope everyone who's posted above will stick around, and maybe we can get some new newbs to join us to. For those not in the know, we are cool running refugees who started a "group" called the Neo-extreme trail running group because we got tired of calling ourselves newbies. I keep saying we, but Fattozig was the real creator of the group. We were a loose group of neo trail runners trying to run on trails as much as possible and still hitting the roads some when we couldn't. Most of us were inexperienced though some pretty experienced runners hopped on as well. Fattie, as I love to call her, was faithful in posting some good pics and anybody who wants to join in will be asked to do the same. That includes me as I haven't done so, BUT WILL, I PROMISE!. I ran my first races last year, a 5K at the summer solstice, a 50K the first week of Sept., then a 50 miler in VT at the end of September. As you can see, Fattie has her first major event this weekend ( I think it's her first major event that is, as I haven't been on the scene for a few months). I quit running and returned to the weights, some, but pretty much quit doing anything athletic in January. I began drinking like a fish and soon put on 20+ pounds around my middle. Last week on my lunch break I went to a local park and went for a walk through the woods. I couldn't help but run, in my work shoes and clothes no less, and logged my first couple of miles in months. This week I strapped on the heart rate monitor and GPS and went for a few short runs. 16:00+ miles! I'm trainind ala Maffetone, trying to keep hr below 141 always, and man am I fat and slow. Oh well, if you dance with the devil, you'll have to pay the fiddler, or something like that. So, I'm jazzed again to be out in the woods. yesterday I took two of my dogs for a two hour hike in the Wissahickon Gorge and hit some new trails. Gorgeous and invigorating. I ran the downs and walked all else. Slowly but surely, stress, and recover, stress a little more, recover, repeat. As far as races, maybe the VT50 again? Stonecat? Hellgate? Maybe the Laruel Highlands 70 miler? Cold TWOT (vhtrc.org). Or, maybe train for an early 100 for next year. I don't know. Enough about me. Fattie, good luck! Do you feel good about your training despite the nagging injury? Have you put the miles in? What was your longest training run and when? 50K is as breeze girlfriend. You can suck up anything for that far. Steel your mind, you can do it. As long as you don't have anything after that in the near future, ignore your flexor and dig down and do that sucker.

Ultrachick

Welcome back Greg! It took me a moment to recognize your new name here. Fabulous getting at least this group back together! I so miss the Ultra thread CR had-this one is not nearly as active. I'm doing well. I just ran my first half marathon last Sunday and did well. I shaved a couple more minutes off of my best half time from last year. I'm currently building up for Boston-33 days away! After that-no more pavement! The rest of the season is looking similar to last year-Northern Nipmuck 16m beginning of April, Boston, 7 Sisters in May, Nipmuck Marathon in June, possibly Mt Washington (if picked in the lottery) which is June too, support crew for Jack at VT100, Jay XC Challenge in July, Jack got into the Wasatch Front 100 in Utah Sept 6 so that will be the big trip of the summer for us and I'm looking at the Iroquois Trail 100 (for my first 100) at the end of Sept. I won't be making it to the VT50 if I do the 100 but should still make Stone Cat. Welcome back to Lorrie too! One of your last posts you were heading to CO skiing! Hope you're feeling better! Keep in touch! Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                  Well, can I say how dang happy I am that this thread is up and going again?!? {{{{Thanks, Greg!!}}}} And thanks for explaining the history of "us." Tacoma - My event is this weekend. I call 'em events 'cause (1) I'm not racing anybody and (2) PCTR's motto is "Runs That Aren't Races In Beautiful Places." That about says is it all Greg - I'm feeling really good, except for nagging hammie problem, but that's been there for a long time. I'm just really nervous about the ole hip flexor thing. The last time this hit (on my left side), I literally could barely walk for a couple of days and had to get extensive, painful massages through the hammie, butt, lower back. On a scale of 1-10, the pain was around 13. I lived on muscle relaxers for awhile. I can't imagine wnat I'll do if this thing attacks me in the middle of the run Saturday, but we'll see. Slow and easy will be the name of the game. Also, you probably don't know, but my running buddy and I hired a coach awhile back, and it's made an incredible difference in my running. He's a very experienced runner and hits the trails with us quite often. He's going to run the Bizz Johnson Trail Marathon with us in October. Between now and then, however, my schedule looks like this: 05/24 - Forest Park 50k, Portland, OR 07/12 - S.O.B. 50k, Ashland, OR 08/09 - Crewing for friend's sister who's running the Headlands 100. Early September - 18 miles into the Trinity Alps again 10/12 - Bizz Johnson Trail Marathon Coach has been promising me that I'll be ready for the 50k in May, so we'll see what happens. It's only here that people don't look at me like I'm nuts. Boy, I'm having the time of my life!! A pic from Fern Canyon here in Humboldt County. Fantastic trail to run:

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Oh, you have a 30 k.I thought you said 50k. You know, your hip flexor thing sounds like something pinched in the low back throwing your alignement off. I have something similar. Pain on the side of my hip, butt, low back. Did mine twisting around in bed (no details will be given, so don't ask). Trigger point therapy, stretching, strengthening back and abs, you know the drill. 30 K huh? Sounds like you don't have a time goal. You can do that, no problem. Don't worry. Keep your mind in the present and you will be fine. Run within your capabilities and HAVE FUN! I had a blast at VT. You are so focused for such a long time, it's like meditation. You will have a great time. Ultra chick, sounds like you have a good schedule for the year. Boston and Jay. Cool. My year is shot as I will just be building my miles so as to do something at the end of the year, either another 50, which I'd rather not, or a 100k, maybe a 70 miler FA. I dunno. We'll see. I just got back from a 4 mile slow run in a local park. Averaged about 14 minute miles. SLOW. (I do love talking about myself). Great to hear from you guys!

My first 30k was Salt Point last year. I bonked really bad at the end, but finished in 4:00:20 - 20 seconds shy of my goal. This year, I'm much more knowledgable re nutrition and have no doubt that with no flexor problems, I will do just fine. Next week I'm going to go see the PT who is an avid runner and who put me back together about 10 years ago when I fell and destroyed my ankle. Hopefully get a gait analysis, talk to him about my orthotics, etc. In the meantime, I've been stretching, using my foam roller, changing up the sides of the road I run on, and tomorrow getting my second massage in two weeks. Oh - and using "positive visualization." Greg - you should know all about that bein' a therapist. Wink

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

You know, I always hesitate when I tell people what I do. I never know what preconcieved notions they have about what I do. But you're right, I do know about that, and I just guided a teenage boy through some guided visualization last week to aid him in anger management. During the VT 50 I really had to wrestle with my mind. I tried to stay in the moment as much as possible. In the first 1/3 of the race I was just plain scared not knowing what to expect, fearful I'd blow up some how. I had to keep pulling my mind back to the task at hand and concentrate. Once I got closer to being half way done, I started imagining my glorious finish with all the people there cheering me on and congratulating me on what a stud I am. I had to pull my mind back to the task at hand. Then, as I started getting tired after about 35 miles, I had to push myself forward mentally. I was pretty successful as a guy passed me going the wrong way with about a mile left and said, "good job, you did it." I corrected him and said, "not yet". I wasn't being funny either, I was just so focused at this point I wasn't ready to concede to the race bieng over till I crossed the finish line. It was a very focused event and had a deep meditative effect on me, calming me a great deal. I had a very anticlimatic feeling of 'well, that was nice. So what'. This ulta thing really is very self indulgent and that idea led me to quit running for the winter. I'm trying to use my time for more important things, like writing journal articles and studying, but I find the running aids me in focusing and rejuvinates me. I have to find a balance to the whole thing and I'm still working on it. Well, this post is way more than you were asking for, but I DO love to talk about ME. Sorry. Lots of love...

but I DO love to talk about ME.
                          So I noticed. Big grin Big grin That's okay. Gives me something to read when I should be working! Shocked Hey - Post a before and after pic of yourself once you've lost your 20 lb. gut. And that goes for everyone else. Would love to know who I'm talking to. Salt Point last year - before I bonked Wink :

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Here's my first attempt at posting a picture.... Let's try this again....Oooooh it worked! Here's me last year at the Ultimate XC Challenge in Jay, VT. I just finished a little over a half hour faster(7:10:24 for 33 miles) than 2006 even with the course being a couple miles longer. I finished 10th for the women 39 and under which my goal was to be in the top 10 and I was the oldest inthe top 10-I beat all the 40 year olds! So now this year being 40!..... I'm hoping to do well to put it nicely Big grin. Kelly
                              Kelly - Nice job on the stats and posting the pic. Smile Just got back from another lower body massage. Didn't hurt nearly as bad today as last week, and she said there was definitive improvement with regard to how tight things were last week. Yea! We leave tomorrow a.m. for the Bay Area. Found out today the run is sold out. Not sure how many people that means, but should be a blast! I'm getting so excited I can hardly stand it. Big grin From our Canyon Creek run last year. My buddy, Karen, cooling off: (I tried to resize the picture, but didn't work. Sorry!)

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Good luck and have fun! Leslie! I can't wait for the snow to melt on the trails here! I'm so ready! Kelly