Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - June 2010 (Read 434 times)

Word of the Day:  SPROINKY

Here's to another month of dirty!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wanderingoutlaw

Finally got in a trail run this morning--the first one since a race on May 1.  Lots of wet branches and spider webs to contend with for the first couple of miles.  Then the buzzing and sometimes stinging insects started following me--for at least the next mile. Overall, a good run.

Hope the Chattooga River 50k runners are doing well in their race this morning.

John

John - Did the biting and stinging bugs make you run faster?

I've had a busy weekend.  Three legal secretary chicks ladies who I've made friends with at all the conferences I go to came up to visit me and my compadres.  Between work, running, and visiting, I've been on the go since Friday late afternoon.  Anyway, managed 17.5 trail miles yesterday in what is considered humid temps for us, and 9.5 miles early this a.m.  Note to self - Do not eat sushi the night before a long run after a long day that included an even longer run.

Yesterday's trail run went a lot better than last week's, but I was still really pooped at the end. Makes me not want to take anymore extended breaks.  Getting back up to speed is a PITA.  Although, I ate and hydrated really well, stayed on top of my salt, and never got nauseous.  Yea!

Today went about as I expected.  The last couple of miles I slowed down quite a bit.  Was starving when I got up, so took a chocolate donut with me and ate it over a couple of breaks.  300 easy, tasty calories.  Yum!

Have a good one, folks -

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

Good to hear from you guys!

I am not running. I am trying to master the art of "taking it easy". I took about 10 days off in order to try to heal up before a 50K trail Ultra, that took place yesterday, Sunday - but I didn't heal and I didn't run. I decided two days before the ultra that it was not wise to go. It was not an easy dicision but I think it was the right one. Even though I had taken 10 days off completely from running as well as any and all kinds of cross training I didn't feel the sore spots were healing. I ran a short "fun run" by myself Sunday morning while my son ran cross country practice with some of his new high school friends (I have to drive him there at 7 am Sunday mornings!!!). During the run I felt relatively good (except for the sweltering heat and humidity) but after the run my two trouble spots were acting WAY up. I have been limping around all of Sunday and still some today, Monday. 

I have given up on getting this injury (and yes, it is an injury - I've been in deep denial for a long time) to heal by itself. I need help. Called and set up an appointment with a massage therapist who has helped me in the past. I am going to see him tomorrow - we'll see what he can do, if anything, to help me. I can't even walk w/o aggrevating this problem......

Inactivity is not one of my strengths. Please, have your fingers crossed for me and thank you for listening and all your support. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm not running either. The pain that appeared in my right foot during the trail marathon turned out to be either a) metatarsal stress fracture or b) ligament strain.  Either way the treatment is the same--3 weeks in the boot and check back with the doc. Buh. At least I can do the elliptical, so long as I wear the boot. It's uncomfortable but will keep me sane!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Working out on the elliptical with a boot cast?  Cripes, now that's being a hard-a$$!

{{{Healing vibes}}} to you two and anyone else on the injured list.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

under a rock

Oh, no! Two runners down. Hope you guys heal fast!

I did a half marathon Saturday with some friends. It originally was their idea and I just went along for the training then after a few long runs with them decided to do it too. It was the Race For The Land HM & 8k on a private nature preserve that only opens to the public once a year. Great news is my IT band survived but my whole body is sore still today. Tough course, lots of getting lost by all runners. Official time 2:43  Blog Report & Pics

Well, Saturday before last I ran 31 miles in 6 hours. Wiped me out. I ran intervals a few days later and was still wiped, so I ended up taking a week off from there, missing my last long run last weekend. This weekend was my anniversary, so I ended up running 4 hours this morning hitting 21 miles. Beat me up. I am now actively tapering. The 31 miler will be one month before the 40 miler on the 19th of this month and will have to trust that was a good enough peaking effort. Today's effort beat me up too, making my legs sore. I can't imagine missing a week of training would take me out of shape, though I did pound the food and drink. I just had no zest to train. It'll have to do as now I decrease volume while keeping the intensity high. Getting a bit nervous for the race as it's a tough one in WV. See y'all.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Happy

Good job Leslie and Ashley - you are both on a positive path 

Not so good with the professor and I; Buddo, you are in your own category. Good job joggling all the variables and still getting your long -runs in.

I almost had a complete meltdown last week - it was the last week of school, second week of cross country, first week of morning practices for swimming, first week of swim meets for summer league, dental appointment for the youngest son etc etc etc.

New week!!!! 

I had a leg/foot/ankle massage today. Therapist says there are several issues going on all the way from an imbalance in the hip, which may be one of the reasons that the foot trouble started. On the heel some collagen has been made in one of the tendons that wrap around the heel - this has almost started to calcify and if it does it will turn into a heel spur. It has not yet attached itself to the bone, which is good news. So he worked on trying to break some of the collagen up - he says this will take more work. This collagen formation, which is the size of a dime is probably the reason I have an inflamed spot there - much more so after a run than on days when I don't run, but the inflammation is always there now. Not good! Also, some muscle tissue is stuck to the sheath that it should be sliding inside of - this is mostly in the calf and part of the shin. All of these things are connected. The imbalance in the hip supposedly acts like a shortening of the left leg, which in turn means that the left ankle and foot takes more of a load than the other leg/foot when landing while running. This is the reason that the injury is to the left foot/ankle. 

He showed me some stretching exercises I am supposed to do a couple of times every day. I can run but only if it doesn't hurt while running. I am going to keep getting more of these massages to loosen up the things that are stuck and to correct the hip imbalance and to work on breaking up the pre-calcification in the heel tendon/ligament (sorry I have forgotten what the name of it is). I am optimistic that this will help me as the same guy has helped me with some rather severe overuse injuries I had a couple of years ago.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Hey all. 

Sorry about the injuries/no running perfesserR and flower... that sucks.  Take it easy and heal up soon!

I finished a really hard month of training w/ a 50k on Saturday.  It was brutal... hot as hell, 9000' of gain...the course was like a child with ADHD... all over the place, up, down, in, out... hard to find any rhythm.  Worst race I've had in years, mainly because my taper was 200 miles of running in the two weeks before the race with no rest.  I went in just using it as a death march training day and it delivered.  Uhhg. 

Taking it easy this week, then next week is my last big week before the taper begins.  Just thinking about it makes me have to take a nervous poo. 

- Chris

Taking it easy this week, then next week is my last big week before the taper begins.  Just thinking about it makes me have to take a nervous poo. 

- Chris

Nervous Poo - I like it!!  Chris - I apologize for asking (actually, I'm too lazy to go back and look ) - is it Leadville you are running in a couple of weeks?

Using a 50k as a death march - very nice.  Only us knucklehead trail runners would understand that.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nervous Poo - I like it!!  Chris - I apologize for asking (actually, I'm too lazy to go back and look ) - is it Leadville you are running in a couple of weeks?

No, not Leadville...it's the big dance this year.  <gulp>

Hardrock 100

I pooed a little looking at those pictures!   Good luck, my friend.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Three days till my big dance...the Highlands Sky 40 miler. Stoked. 90% point to point National Forest. Little nervous I may have let my conditioning slip during the last month. No way to know now. Will have to wait and see. Wish me luck. I'll send pictures. Gonna run with my iphone and try and email pics to the wifey. I'll upload em as soon as I can.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

That looks like a really cool race... have fun and good luck!!