Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team-January 2009 (Read 475 times)

First post of the new year! Chris and Kelly congratulations on reaching your goals! You guys are hard core. I hate the cold. I hope to break 2000 miles this year too. We'll see if I can maintain my passion. Went to see Disney on ice yesterday with the crew. Fun. Ate something bad and got laid up in bed for the night. My wife rang in the new year all alone, cleaning up puke from my daughterSad. Kitrin- I admire your dedication. Did you do the midnight run? If you keep that fire burning you'll do great this year. Running an hour today in the woods then paperwork for the rest of the day today, late into the wee hours of the morning. Big audit coming up at my job next week. Later.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Happy New Year, everyone!! Thanks for starting us out for the new month and year, Greg. Kitrin - Very cool idea about the midnight run. I had such ants in my pants last night, I would've loved to have done that, but the ankle is still sore (although better this a.m.). Instead, we gave up on watching George Carlin on HBO last night at 10:00 (I got sick of the foul language) and we were asleep by 10:15. Hard core, I know. Roll eyes Kelly and Chris - Congrats on hitting your goals for the year! Got the last of the lights off the tree this a.m., and it's outside awaiting it's trip to the dump. Yea!! Now I get to spend the next couple of days putting everything away.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I hate George Carlin. I never thought he was funny, just irreverent and rude. Any news on the gut?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Happy New Year! I was in bed by 11:30-had to get up early to work today. It was a cold day on the mountain-I don't think it got above zero and the wind was blowing, the 3 lifts to the top of Mansfield didn't run because it was too windy. Woke up with the night sweats last night so I didn't run today. I'm working tomorrow but will hopefully get a few miles tomorrow night. See ya! Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Any news on the gut?
            Nope. Don't do anything else until Monday. In the meantime, it's a game of "what will or won't make me nauseous or put me in pain." Fun stuff. Wink

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hour run in the cold today. Overcast. Shooting for 2000 miles this year.

Ankle still barking at me. Did 30 min on stationary bike and 35 min core/strength. Can't do any leg exercises that require pushing off or balancing with one foot where there would be any significant bending of the ankle, so that takes out the lunges, step ups, step downs, and calf exercises. Strange.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

The midnight run did not happen, sadly. My husband and I tried to get some extra sleep for once. It was a great idea though. I think I will try it at the end of this year. Kelly, I am getting night sweats too. I will wake up with that tingly feeling and throw the covers off sometimes and avert disaster, but it is getting old. I hope that putting myself back on a schedule and eating right will straighten everything out. I hate the sweats. Greg, I went for a short (2.5 mile) run today at the park and saw an older man barefoot running in the grass as I left. It made me think of you. If you lived in Houston, you could barefoot run all year long. My exchange student thought it was very strange to run without shoes and I explained that many people in the world never wear shoes. I told her that the bottoms of the feet harden and then you do not feel the ground as much. She said, "I prefer soft feet. I think most women would prefer to have soft feet." She has a very good point there. How many female barefoot runners do you know? Just curious. I was amazed by how much I lost over the past couple months. I will need to restart with slow, short runs and work myself up again. I don't mind as much as I thought I would. At least I know I can do it now. I will need to be very disciplined since I still want to run the Cross Timbers 1/2 Marathon on 21 February. Kelly and Chris, you are inspirations to us all. Here's hoping that 2009 is even better. Kitrin
                    Night sweats Ha ha ha ha - Welcome to my world! Big grin Especially when it's "that time of month." You learn to keep a hand towel by the bed. Wink

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Proving the point that we are all captured by a glory of some kind that shapes our behavior, I sprinted today. For the last week, I've been reading on Mark's Daily Apple blog. Dude's a paleo/primal fitness advocate; no grains, no aerobic exercise, weightlifting, brief, intense anaerobic work. Former elite marathoner. 54 now, looks awesome-ripped and muscular. So, I've been reading his sight and get impressed. Result? More fruits and veggies in my diet, less starches, deadlifting yesterday, and sprinting today. I jogged a mile into the woods, then sprinted for 10-20 seconds, then walked to lower hr. Repeated 7 times, then jogged back to car. 3.25 miles. We are all a product of what captures our hearts desires or affections, or fancy if you will. That then exerts an inescapable influence over our emotions, thoughts, speech, and behaviors. I'm ditching the low hr training, and just going running in the woods with my dog. Heart rate be damned. I will eat what I want. If I want to retain some muscle, I'll lift some. If I want to get skinnier, I'll eat less. The end. Most important, THIS IS MY STUPID HOBBY GREG, YOU IDIOT!! CHILL! Focus on what's important-loving God and neighbor. All else is details. See ya. Oh, and I hope you're all okay, especially you Leslie with your gut.

Most important, THIS IS MY STUPID HOBBY GREG, YOU IDIOT!! CHILL! Focus on what's important-loving God and neighbor. All else is details. See ya. Oh, and I hope you're all okay, especially you Leslie with your gut.
                        Big grinBig grin Yesterday was the first day in over 2 weeks that my stomach hasn't hurt or been nauseated. Today's been good, too, but I chalk that up to the fact that because of the CT scan, I hadn't eaten or drank anything since 8:30 last night until noon today. I was thirsty more than anything! And I tell you what, the scan was awfully short compared to all the prep. Evil grin Now I'm suppose to drink a lot over the next 2-3 days to flush the contrast dye out of my system. THAT stuff was interesting. "The contrast dye is warm, and you will feel it move through your body." Heck, yeah! Within a matter of seconds of it being pumped in, I felt like I'd peed myself. At least now I know how fast your blood pumps through you, as well as where it goes first and foremost. Wink Coach thinks I strained my calcaneo-fibular and anterior talo-fibular ligaments. He sent me a diagram showing where they are in the ankle, and yep, that's where it's bothering me. No running at least until next week, no single leg strength training (lunges, BOSU, step ups and downs), but I can do the stationary bike and, of course, upper body and core. And I most definitely need to work on my gut. Blush MTA - Love your new avatar, Greg. Smile

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

How soon till you get the results? Concept2 rowers are excellent workout tools as well if you have access to one.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I ran three miles yesterday evening. I went out too fast (as usual) but reigned myself in and felt good at the end. Even here in Houston (yes, I am back in Houston again; I will be back home tomorrow) it was a cold, blustery day. And I ran in thick, spongy, wet grass. Why is it so much harder to run in grass? Is it a little like running in sand? Harder to "spring?" Regardless, I am glad to be back on the trails again (or grass in this case) working my legs and lungs. I am especially pleased that my lungs survived the cold air. I have been known to take one deep breath of cold air and be laid up with asthma/bronchitis for weeks. I walked to warm up and held a gloved hand over my mouth at the beginning of my run. That did the trick. Chris, Kelly, and all you other REALLY cold weather runners amaze me. Leslie, bodies are amazing things, are they not? I remember receiving an injection through an IV once and felt it go all over my body in seconds too. It was, ahem, narcotic so I did not care very soon after it happened, but it was cool at first. Listen to your body and be careful. You do not want to lose something you love (running) because you loved it too much. Of course, you can take whatever I say with a grain of salt. I am injury paranoid. Off-topic, my husband should hear about the new job soon. They said they would decide in three weeks and that will be this coming Monday. We are on pins and needles. This is a dream job in so many ways and my poor hubby has had some crappy professional turns over the past 5 years. Greg, keep having fun. Thanks for sharing your life with us. Kitrin
                              I hope your husband lands that job Kitrin! That part of Oklahoma is supposed to be really nice too... lots of rock climbing and trails, if I remember right. Not much new here. Been remodeling our master bath and working on our trail running club website for the past few weeks... I can't believe this group has been around 10+ years and has 1500 members and no website. It's been keeping me busy since I'm not a website designer/programmer... a lot of learning stuff on the fly. Managed to get in 10 on Sunday and 6 last night though, between the projects. Hoping it warms up a little bit so I can sneak out at lunch today. Hope everyone has a great day! - Chris
                                Kitrin - Still keeping fingers crossed re the job for the Hub. Chris - I never did ask you how that all night run went for your group. And you have a running club with 1500 members?? Nice!!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance