Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - May 2009 (Read 310 times)

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I wish a happy new month to everyone. I don't think I have run since my last post, but I did: fly to Washington, DC and back; load, transport, unload, and place a truck bed full of rocks for my backyard; help a friend move; start digging a dry stream bed. Maybe I will run today because it is too wet to dig or collect more rocks. I really want to run. Today is liquid diet day on the new eating plan that we instituted in our household, so I am glad I am only running 2-3 miles at a time these days. I love running in the rain too. Lack of sleep and all the travel actually had me feeling sick over the last weekend with a scratchy throat and runny nose. However, it did not take and I only have a runny nose from allergies this morning. Darn those allergies. It is moving season with all my single friends and so I am using our truck (and my arms) during long days of lifting boxes and furniture. I guess this is upper body season (digging, shoveling mulch/soil, lifting rocks, moving boxes). You should see my triceps. I actually have that cool indentation thing when I flex it on my right arm. Now, if only I could lose those pesky 10-15 pounds. Greg, I feel your pain on the weight thing. I gained ten pounds over the last couple months too. Oh, our internet has been up and down (mostly down) for the past three weeks too. THAT causes major ructions in our household. We are happy to be back online now. Leslie, GREAT JOB on averaging less than 10 min/miles for SIX MILES! Thank you for the inspiration. You know, I did the same "running downhill with the Garmin to see how fast I could go" thing when I was at Vicksburg. It was too much fun! Kelly, school must be almost over for the semester. I imagine you are relieved. What is next? It looks like my husband will be going back to school. He simply does not want to travel/deploy as much as FEMA will require. This means a change of career (again!) and more education to facilitate that goal. I feel like I am running, even when I am not, but life is good. Kitrin
      Thanks for starting us, Kitrin. Quick flyby. I am so busy at work and with my side business, I don't know which way is up right now. Anyhoo - leaving tomorrow to head toward the Bay Area for my 30k run on Sunday. Am hoping for 4:50 or less!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Battled my way (traffic) from Healdsburg down to Berkeley today, with a side trip through the Napa Valley to visit my SIL at her new job at Landmark Wineries. She had a hard time understanding why I didn't want to stick around and do some wine tasting. Told her I'd do some tomorrow back at their house after my run. With regard to her job in the tasting room at the winery, she gets to take home any open bottles of wine that are left over at the end of the day - free! And she gets 50% off any wines she purchases. Wee haw! Big grin Re battling the traffic - let me just say that I hate Google. Directions from here in Berkeley to the running site ends me straight down I-580 - traffic and all - when there's a nice pretty side route through the better part of Berkeley. I hit stop and go traffic the whole way down I-580, and then when I got out to where the run is suppose to be, the directions say the park is in right, but the only entrance that looked feasible was on the left. This is why I always get to the starting area early - just in case. Time to hit the hay -

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hello Everyone - Was unable to post yesterday as my brother's Internet service is security locked, and he was at work until around 7:00 p.m., then we went to dinner, then we hit the hay. Long story short (I'll do a report soon), I did really well on a technical and tough course (for which PTCR is well known). When I crossed the line, the official timer said4:15:04, but the final report says 4:16:38, so I don't know what that's all about. Anyway, I was very happy with that result - although I thought it was faster than Desert High, but it wasn't, by over 20 minutes. That's okay, though. This course was much, much tougher than Desert High. We did a 20k loop then a 10k loop, and some of the climbs in the 10k loop were totally and completely sadistic. One guy who sloggingly passed me at one point on a climb (but I ended up beating him), said, "Yeah, French Trail is notorious." You got that right! My saving grace was that I was able to really fly down the hills - when possible, and passed a number of people at the end. It was hot, and I blew it on the salt and nutrition intake. It was longer between the first and second aid stations, and I should've grabbed more food. I also should've taken more than just 2 S-caps, but live and learn. I would really like to try the 50k on this trail. We'll see. Well, I blew into town this a.m. after driving almost 4 hours from my brother's house, so I need to get with it here at work. Am leaving Wednesday early, early to fly to Long Beach for a conference. After all this, I think I'll need a nap. Later! MTA: I just looked at the PTCR site for the results and I'm a bit peeved. I know specifically that I came across that finish line in 4:15:04. I zoned in on that sucker so I'd know my time. Not only do they have a different time, but the two women listed right before me I passed on the last downhill and stayed in front of them for quite a distance until the end. Grrrrr!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, Good job on the 30K. At least you are still out there running and racing, which is more than I can say for myself. I am in a bit of a funk, to go with my general preoccupation with my yard. This means I should have run today and I didn't. It could have been a great time too, with cool, damp weather. Ah well. Eventually you will work out the nutrition side of racing/running and you will be one formidable foe on the trails. Go Leslie! Kitrin
              At least you are still out there running and racing, which is more than I can say for myself. I am in a bit of a funk
              I'm there too...I feel your pain (or lack of Big grin)
              "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                Hey all, I'm still alive... just really really busy. Our 2nd child is due in about 4-6 weeks, so there's been a lot going on lately Smile Good to see everyone is getting out and enjoying the trails. Keep recovering from the achilles problems, Buddo. I'm still running, trying to fight the sympathy weight Tongue Today is day 75 of the streak, so it's still alive. I'm now on house arrest. I was given a decree by the missus that I now must be less than an hour or two from the hospital on all of my runs, so that's going to keep my adventures very "homegrown" for a while. Hope everyone has a great weekend! - Chris
                Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I'm there too...I feel your pain (or lack of Big grin)
                  It is nice NOT to feel alone. I am making progress in my yard, so I hope to get back to running soon. It will be too late to plant in a couple weeks, so this is my final big push. A few more truckloads of rocks and soil, plant the essentials, then mulch it all. I also enrolled for my next distance course, History and Philosophy of Mathematics. My other big push is to finish these last three classes to finish my BS. Of course, if anyone truly evaluated me they would agree that I am full of BS without the paper to prove it. I will try to post some before and after pictures of my yard when it looks more finished. You guys deserve to know what has kept me away so much. Kitrin
                    Chris - Congrats on the expecting! Sorry about the "grounding." dmiller - Hi ya! Come back soon. Kelly - If you're lurking about, I need to talk with you about possible trail runs in October in the Vermont area. We're thinking about being there then (I just found that out this morning). Went to the doc today re my right ankle, and he thinks its os trigonum. So after 4 (4?) x-rays and me giving him the third degree, he gave me a cortisone shot in the ankle and prescribed no impact exercising for a week, after which I can gradually increase my running over the second week. If the pain returns, then he wants to do a bone scan to see if the area actually is a "hot spot." If it is, then he would refer me to someone to discuss having the spot shaved down. Fun stuff, kids. I told him about my run in July and he didn't say no, so keeping my fingers crossed there. The cortisone shot didn't really hurt too bad 'cause he injected a numbing agent first, but I did tell him I wanted to use the bathroom first so that I wouldn't pee my pants when he stuck the need in my ankle. Big grin He got a good chuckle out of that one. He said he doubts it's my AT because of the intense (and I mean nauseously intense) pain I get if my foot is suddenly forced toes downward, like if you catch your heel on a step going down, hyper flexing the foot. I did that again this weekend at one point and it almost sent me to the ground it hurt so #$%* bad. I actually felt faint. Dead And now this evening, with the numbing agent wearing off - - Shocked holy #$*& Batman! My freaking ankle hurts like a son of a bitch! Okay - Back to transcription . . .

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

goat

Finder of good newts

Yes... I am a trail group lurker ... stepping out a bit!  I may just stick my head back underground like a groundhog after this, but we'll see....

I just looked at the PTCR site for the results and I'm a bit peeved. I know specifically that I came across that finish line in 4:15:04. I zoned in on that sucker so I'd know my time. Not only do they have a different time, but the two women listed right before me I passed on the last downhill and stayed in front of them for quite a distance until the end. Grrrrr!

--I've probably done 10 events through PTCR.  It seems like the results hardly ever make sense compared to who I came in just behind or in front of...  I've never quite figured it out.  I always just figured I was a bit loopy after running about 30k... and since I'm a midpacker I never really cared too much.

And in a fit of non thinking I signed up for the Nisene Marks Marathon June 6th - near Santa Cruz...  I mailed it in last week.  Hadn't even really been thinking about it.   Peer pressure and drugs?  no problem.   Peer Pressure and just about anything else?  no problem.   Peer pressure and a trail run?  sign me up.   Good golly. 

Nisene is an out and back on Fire Road...  out and up 13.1 miles and back and down 13.1 miles.   We'll see.   I've run a lot of single track up there and the forest is gorgeous - so at least it will be purrty...  I have been running fairly good distance, but really --- what was I thinking?

Andy

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

Hey Andy - Good luck with the marathon in June.  Re PCTR - One person sits in that little tent and writes down the numbers.  I think the correctness of it all depends on how into it the person is.  If it's Wendell, he keeps things straight.  I don't remember the guy even looking up when I came across the line, and it wasn't like I was the last lonely person.  Oh well.  Their aid stations make up for it all!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

goat

Finder of good newts

Their aid stations are the best!   I totally agree.  And I do love Sarah and Wendell's masochistic side for planning their courses.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

And I do love Sarah and Wendell's masochistic side for planning their courses.

Oh yeah! Sadists!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

So Friday I did some calf strength training for the first time in a number of weeks because my ankle had been bothering me.  Must of done too much 'cause yesterday when I got up, the calves were a bit stiff, but not bad . . . then I ran 16 trail miles.  Well, I could tell once I was done they were gonna be a bit stiffer, and by the time I made the 25 min drive home, yeah, they were stiff and painful.  So today I was scheduled to do 10 more trail miles.  I managed 7.5 before I had to stop because my calves were so painful.  Now, whenever I stop moving for any length of time, the calves stiffen up so bad, I look like I'm walking with a cob up my rear end until they loosen up again.  I think I have a date with my foam roller and perhaps a nice hot tub.  Thankfully, tomorrow's a rest day!  Don't think I'll be wearing high heels to work tomorrow . . . .

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Did a 22 miler w/ 9000' of gain over the weekend.  Last week was about 70-ish miles and 30,000' of gain for the week... trying to get my climbing legs back before the summer mountain climbing season hits.

From Saturday's run:

Today will be easy, 30-60 minutes.  Day 92 of the streak.

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

- Chris