Imogene Pass Run (Read 522 times)

Kenotic Runner

Is anyone running the Imogene Pass Run?

Has anyone run it before?

I have a few Qs.

Is anyone running the Imogene Pass Run?

Has anyone run it before?

I have a few Qs.

I've run it three times, but the third was the snow-shortened course (upper Camp Bird -> Sneffels townsite -> Ouray town park).  Not running it this year.  What sort of questions do you have?  By far the most important thing to know is the way to Smuggler's Brewpub from the finish line in Telluride.

Kenotic Runner

Well, rather than asking questions, perhaps I should first ask, what are the right questions to ask?

I live in Colorado Springs and am training and running this with a good friend--over the winter he asked me if I wanted to do this race.  Training wise, I'm right now at 30 mpw and my last long run was 40% up Pikes Peak and back down.

I took a basic marathon training plan an adapted it for mileage and elevation gain.  For convenience's sake (both drive time and weather), we started out a couple months ago doing shorter mileage and elevation gain routes on a couple Rampart Range (foothills) peaks with roads and trailheads closer to our homes.

Over the next couple months, long runs will increase, working up to include a Pikes Peak ascent in August as well as to the A-Frame and back on the Barr Trail on Pikes Peak.  I also may get in a 14er or two in the couple months between now and then, but those will be relatively slower paced hikes, with my kids.  I don't really plan to go up above 35 mpw (I have job and family and that) but we'll see.

My goal is really just "to finish."  I've run only one marathon and had the most horrible case of plantar fasciitis a year ago--still (maybe forever?) on the recovery track from that.  My friend (who asked me to do this thing) hasn't run a marathon before.

We may have more questions over the next two months...

Bagging a few 14ers would be very good, to get some high altitude acclimation.  The ability to climb steep trail at high altitude without stopping to "catch your breath" is extremely important.  The toughest part of the IPR is lower Camp Bird to the top of the pass -- a 3500' climb over 4.5 miles to 13,000', with sections as steep as 20% near the top.  Nail that part and finishing is not a problem.

Living in CO Springs, have you thought about training with the Incline Club?  The focus is on the Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon races but many, many of its members have or will run the IPR.  Their club runs would give you two race-specific hard workouts of the week on Thursday and Sunday, with the other days to be recovery, easy, or off.

Speaking of Pikes Peak, an ascent or the Ascent race is excellent training for the IPR.  The only thing that it won't give you is that preparation for running downhill on a 20% rocky jeep road, after having just climbed 5300' at up to 20% on a rocky jeep road. 

Kenotic Runner

I wish I could train with the Incline Club...

Weekdays, I often travel for business.

Sundays, I usually have church duties.

Today I was in SoCal on business and did Mt Baldy.

Kenotic Runner

Today was 15 miles on Pikes Peak.  I haven't run over a half marathon for about three years now.

I felt pretty good.  My training partner was dealing with a hamstring.

I figured out part of the problem of my shoe scraping the skin of the inside of my ankles...  Wearing contact lenses.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Very steep in places - mainly from Upper Camp Bird to Summit... it is hiking.  I was not well trained to uphills and finished 2 years ago. Practice walking uphill fast combined with running.  Would guess the downhill takes most ppl 45-60 mins.  The uphill is where you make / lose time.

Gaiters are a must - very rocky on downhill to Telluride.  I recall a lot of scree sliding in the first couple of miles on the downhill.

i would carry a water bottle if I did it again but I tend to get pretty thirsty.

It is a beautiful run

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)
                Kenotic Runner

Thanks.  I wish I were a stronger uphill runner.  I've been getting in 5,000 to 12,000 vertical feet a week.  I'm good around something like 2,500 vertical feet per hour, but wham, the heart rate skyrockets from there.

Next year, I'm thinking maybe watching NASCAR as a hobby.

Kenotic Runner

Ran it today.  3:48.  Middle of the pack.

Took it easy the first six miles or so.  Then did some passing on the steep stuff near the summit where everyone was moving along glacially.  Passed several dozen coming down.  Finished strong.

Gorgeous weather.  Late summer day.  Smile