Trail Runners

I'm new here and wanted to start off with a question (Read 272 times)

I'm Jennifer. Smile I'm doing the High Desert 50k in December and was wondering if anyone here has run this race before? I'd like to get an idea...should I wear my road shoes or trail shoes? The course doesn't sound nearly as rough as Noble Canyon and if it's mostly dirt roads I was thinking my road shoes would be just fine...

Jennifer mm#1231

Hi Jennifer - Welcome! I'm running the 30k, but have never run this event before. I know someone who has and will ask him what he thinks and get back to you as soon as I can. Personally, I had planned on wearing my trail shoes. I ran the Bizz Johnson Marathon in October, and although it was a flat, almost dirt road-like surface and they indicated street shoes worked fine, a number of times I was wishing I had worn my trail shoes for more stability because of the the number of sections that had an abundance of small rocks that made things feel sort of slippery and unstable. Post often! We have a nice group hanging out in the Neo Trail Runners thread, experienced to newbies and everything in between.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

thanks for the welcome. Smile I did a search and found mention of the race here. Hope to see you there! Dh (trailsurfer) is doing the 30k...maybe we can meet race day. I asked my friend who has run it before and she said road shoes would be alright...I thought I'd get a few different ideas. My inov8's aren't as cushioned in the forefoot as my supernovas...I'm just undecided.

Jennifer mm#1231

My friend says either would be fine. It's mostly packed sand jeep roads. He said just be prepared to dump a ton of sound out of your shoes at the end. I will probably end up wearing my trail shoes as they have fewer miles on them than my road. Yeah, it'd be nice to meet. We can talk more the closer we get to the run, but I will be the one in a short sleeve or long sleeve pink shirt, white cap w/Nike swoosh on the front, probably black running tights, and double bottle waist pack set up. What made you pick Desert High? For me - my aunt and uncle live in Ridgecrest, and it'll be nice for me and my dad to go down and visit. Haven't seen them in a long time. Later!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Jennifer, Yes, please join us at the Neo Thread! Welcome! Kitrin
              Leslie~ I was told repeatedly to NOT run Noble Canyon for my first ultra because of its difficulty. Of course, that only made me want to run it all the more. Tongue Jill (my mentor) tipped me off about the HD50k saying it was a very beginner friendly course. We have relatives in Tehachapi...not sure how close that is, but the plan is to visit with them, run the race, visit with them. We'll probably stay at a hotel in Ridgecrest Saturday night and leave the kiddos with Grandpa. Big grin Secondary reasoning: after HD, I qualify for a marathon maniac number.

Jennifer mm#1231

What exactly is a Marathon Maniac? I've been too embarrassed to ask over on the Masters Forum. Confused

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

www.marathonmaniacs.com It's just a group of marathoners that have varying levels of crazy when it comes to running. I would qualify for the lowest/bronze level...3 marathons in 90 days or less... by running 2 50k's and a marathon.

Jennifer mm#1231

Leslie~ I was told repeatedly to NOT run Noble Canyon for my first ultra because of its difficulty. Of course, that only made me want to run it all the more. Tongue .
                    You sound like my kind of girl.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

www.marathonmaniacs.com It's just a group of marathoners that have varying levels of crazy when it comes to running. I would qualify for the lowest/bronze level...3 marathons in 90 days or less... by running 2 50k's and a marathon.
                      Okay, that is nuts. Wink Noble Canyon - Haven't heard of it, but I assume it's a monster (??).

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Okay, that is nuts. Wink Noble Canyon - Haven't heard of it, but I assume it's a monster (??).
                        www.noblecanyon50k.com hmmm. I don't know...it's my first and only 50k so I am certainly no expert on what makes one course dramatically more difficult than another. I will say it's a very rocky course and it was definitely hilly in parts. There's about 10,000+ft of net elevation gain and loss, so what didn't hurt going up, hurt going down. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Hi Jennifer. Welcome to the trail runners forum. All I can say is Damn, you run alot of miles! Big grin
                          Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                            Big grin thanks oldguys~ it was a test to see if LOTS of long slow miles would: 1. help me stay injury free 2. result in a PR. after today's race I have come to the conclusion: #2. was a yes... #1. I'll have to wait a few days to see what starts hurting, but so far so good. I'm a little jacked up still. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Jennifer - You still running Desert High 50k? If you see a chick with a red short sleeve shirt, bright yellow Moeben sleeves, white ZombieRunner hat, and hot pink patterened gaitors, that's me. I make a true fashion statement. Wink I just looked at the weather, and it's suppose to be a high of 69 on Sunday, mostly sunny. Sad Guess I'm gonna have to bear my lily white legs after all. Be sure you're wearing your sunglasses!!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

oh heck. trailsurfer/dh has been watching the weather and has me all geared up for 30-40 degrees. Confused I guess I'll be bringing a few different outfits. Tongue I'll be wearing the white knee high compression socks. (because shame is not enough, I love to hear random "GO LONG SOCKS" ), leopard print gaiters. truly a fashion tragedy. Dead My most marked identifying feature will be my limp. damn calf. Angry

Jennifer mm#1231