Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - September 2009 (Read 566 times)

You're gonna do great, Flower.  Sounds like you've really thought this through.  My friend and I have been working on another method of getting up the hills - 20/20 - 20 steps running, 20 steps walking, and we adjust accordingly (20 steps running . . . . 50 steps walking ).

Re how I feel today, thanks for asking.  My hips and quads are very tired and sore.  Sitting for 8+ hours driving home didn't help, but they'll loosen up.  I also still feel fairly dehydrated.  I drank quite a bit on the drive home and only had to stop and pee once.

Think it's gonna be early to bed tonight.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

Ran 14 miles on my dirt packed trail yesterday. Just one last longish run before the 50K on Sunday. Gotta save myself for that event. Getting nervous in a good way but also a little scared. Whah!!

Yesterday the ankles and calves were a tad too sore and heavy feeling; as soon as I started running on the trail I knew why I had been extra sore, it was because of the 10 miles I ran in my new Montrail Hardrocks a few days ago. The Hardrocks felt a little heavy and inflexible in the forefoot - they caused me to have more of an ankle motion and stretch on the achilles/calf while running uphill in particular. That alone explained the soreness and the extra time required to recover. I liked the Hardrock as it had a very roomy toebox and let me toes and feet spread out nicely inside while still fitting snugly around the heel. However, they did feel a little heavy and stiff and low to the ground at the heel. I must get used to it. I wish I could run in it for the upcoming 50K as I will likely need the better protection around the toe-area but I will run the 50K in my true and tested Brooks Cascadia.

____

Yesterday I did a walk/run ratio of 5min/20min. I ran on a 3,5 mile loop which brought me back to the car for drink etc. This meant more likely 5minwalk, 20minrun, 5minwalk, 12-15minrun, at the car drink/rest/walk 5 min.

____

I tried to limit my time resting at the car. Just quickly refilled the bottle, took some electrolyte and started walking. For the 50K I intend to try to get out of the aid stations as fast as possible and keep moving. However, after yesterday, I think I may start on a 5min/15min walk/run ratio instead of the 5/20. The walking parts are not much slower than my run parts anyway, sigh!! Hopefully, it will not be as hot as it was yesterday. I ran in the middle of the day for 3 hours. It felt almost cold getting out of the house to take the kids to school this morning.

___

Leslie, how long did it take to complete the Big Sur Trail Marathon? Did you meet your time goal or was it too brutal out there? How are you feeling?

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
      Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Oh Leslie!  I am so sorry for your experience at Big Sur.  It should have been a beautiful, pleasant experience.  I cannot imagine running a marathon in that weather, as I was hot simply running errands around town that day.  It was very hot with no wind relief.  The Sierra Nevada Endurance club ran an event that same morning on the AR50 trails (I do not know if it was the same route though) and it was HOT in the canyon.  Most of the runners were stopping at water areas to douse themselves. I applaud you for finishing!

Flower, how lucky you are that it is supposed to cool down before your race.  Sounds like the stars are aligning in your favor and we can all look forward to your successful race and a good race report.  You are ready!  I am going to give you one piece of advice that my husband learned while he served in the Army.  Always have a good plan and be prepared for that plan to go wrong at the earliest possible opportunity.  What that means is . . . I hope you encounter no "surprises" during your race, but I expect you to fully compensate for any that come your way.  PROFFER NO EXCUSES, SOLDIER!  DRIVE ON!

I am wasting time at the airport terminal, waiting to fly home to Texas.  It will be good to sleep in my own bed and rest my head on my own pillow again.  My best to all of you!

Kitrin

Hey all!  I'm back from Bear.  Survived.  Finished.  Finished well, actually. 

Final time was 27:30.09.  Good for 20th place.  Never really felt bad, though the heat on Friday was absolutely brutal... at least for my recessive Scandinavian genes.  :-)

Then I got really sick... flu-like symptoms that started about 18 hours after I finished. Nausea, diarrhea, high fever, etc.  Thought it was race-related...maybe endotoxemia...but then my 3 year old got it... so it appears to be the flu, as he only ran about 1/2 mile around the aid stations.  Not sure what variety, the H1N1 test is $800 so it's not worth doing since the treatment protocol is the same.

Feeling a little better today.  I'll try to get caught up and post a race report and photos soon.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

- Chris

under a rock

Congrats on the race finish!  Hope you and your little one get to feeling better soon.

Congratulations, Chris!  Great run!  Thank goodness the flu didn't hit you 'til after the race.  Hope you and your son (son?) are feeling better.

Flower - My goal was betwee 5:00 and 5:30.  I finished just a tad slower . . . 6:28.   And I'm sorry - is your race this coming weekend?

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

Leslie - a tad slower LOL!! I see you have regained your sense of humor; that's wonderful and a sign you are recovering very well.

--

Yes, my race is this week end - on Sunday Oct 4 to be precise. I am nervous this time - it's great; I haven't had this kind of anticipation before a race for a long long time. It's so good to be out of injury world. My primary goal is to go the distance. Other than that one of my goals is to run it smart - take regular walk breaks from the get go and to eat and hydrate properly also from the start. I also want to have fun but it's a given!! I am a sucker for this kind of fun. It's going to be an amazing experience to run for such a long time before I finally get to go past my current maximum limit and see how it feels to do that and to find out how I will handle it. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
                Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Chris, you did great considering the sickness before and after the run.  Are you sure you weren't simply running on instinct and adrenaline?  I wish I had your instincts and adrenaline if you were.  How are you feeling now?  Back to 100%?  Are your wife and baby okay?  H1N1 is really giving everyone a run for their money.  My got sick while I was in CA and she was tested, BUT the Dr. office said the test is only about 50% effective.  Aren't you glad you decided to keep your money for the test?

Leslie, it is good to see you back to your old self.

Flower,  GOOD LUCK ON SUNDAY!

I am back in Texas and exhausted.  My husband could not sleep last night (jet lag?) and I don't sleep well when he does not.  I still planned to run this morning but got distracted by the yard, specifically killing fire ants, and doing clutter patrol in the house.  Maybe I will go out this afternoon or evening, since it is not all that hot today.  Yes, that sounds good.

Back to the home trails,

Kitrin

Chris, you did great considering the sickness before and after the run.  Are you sure you weren't simply running on instinct and adrenaline?  I wish I had your instincts and adrenaline if you were.  How are you feeling now?  Back to 100%?  Are your wife and baby okay?  H1N1 is really giving everyone a run for their money.  My got sick while I was in CA and she was tested, BUT the Dr. office said the test is only about 50% effective.  Aren't you glad you decided to keep your money for the test?

Instinct, adrenaline, and beer... mmmm...beer.  :-)

We're both better today and my wife and baby daughter so far seem fine.  I didn't realize the test was only 50% effective...yowza!  Yeah, I could put that money towards better uses for sure (well, I have insurance, so it wouldn't have cost *me* that much...just $25, but *somebody* is paying for it... I try to be vigilant with other people's money too, since in the end we're all gonna pay for it). 

I feel totally recovered from the race.  I may even run easy today... I've mainly not run cause of the flu, not the post-race recovery.  I may wait another day though, just to be safe.

Flower: Kick some butt this weekend!!

- Chris