Trail Runners

My 2nd trail race... any input for me? (Read 195 times)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

I'm looking forward to my 2nd trail race. My first was a 15 K. It went well. This next one is the Xterra 22K at Malibu Creek. Does anyone know the trails there? I would appreciate any imput or training suggestions. I won't be able to check it out until race day on May 10. Confused I know there are a lot of hills. Here's the link to the race: http://www.trailrace.com/malibu.html This is the elevation profile: http://www.trailrace.com/maps/mctc_14mile_profile.gif
    Find the fun.
      Hey TrailSurfer Now that you've done one trail race I know you're hooked!! I dont know the terrain (I'm on the East Coast) but I did look at the elevation profile. It looks like one really long climb (about 3 miles) and an equally long descent. Therefore, I would find a long hill in your area that you could train on and do hills repeats once a week. I would run up and run down to simulate race conditions. Racing long downhills can really trash your quads if you havent done any in training. Good Luck My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
      Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
        I agree with oldguys rule. I would also suggest, taking it easy the first 3 miles, saving energy for thuphill section. DOn't be afraid to walk any uphill section, even, or especially, at the beginning. On downhill, I suggest staying loose, leaning slightly forward, and minimizing the time your feet are on the ground. Thoink of high turnover. Good luck and have fun!
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Into the wild

Not much to offer other than good wishes TS.. Enjoy yourself fella Big grin

Shut up and run

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thank you very much all. I wasn't really sure if I was going to get any response. I have begun doing hill repeats this week. There are many choices in hills I can train on in my area. Ideally, how long a hill would any of you recommend I train on and how fast should I run up? I know speed is relative in this question. How about what % of percieved exersion would you recommend?
            Find the fun.
              I like to train harder than race conditions, so I would say if you can find a hill longer than the 2-3 miles, that would be ideal. As for effort - I try to push myself in training, but pretty much end up power walking any amount of incline. I think of the uphills as an aerobic training and downhill as technique training - and both as getting the appropriatte muscles into condition. Good luck!
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Hey Oldguysrule and Trails2run- Thanks for the advice. I will impliment it.
                Find the fun.

Ultrachick

I agree with Oldguy and Trails-train for the downhill. Pound the he-- out of your quads. I should do hill repeats but I hate them so think about what I say not what I do Smile. I agree with walking up the hills-I do it all the time but it's not a stroll in the park. The clock is still ticking so think of it more as a speed hike or what Trails said-a power walk. I may walk fast and jog a few steps then back to walking-like you're rushing to get some where. I like to keep my heart rate under control so that when I do reach the top I can get going quicker again and not be so out of breath that I'm sucking wind on a flat. Then hopefully you have a downhill to really recover on and get back to your normal pace. This is what works for me-I did two 50 milers and two 50K last year which doesn't make me an expert but gives me a little experience. Kelly
                  If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Kelly is right on. You can't run every hill. You have to choose your battles. Power walking up some of the tougher hills is a good idea. Conserve you energy for the flats and downhills. Good luck with your race! Smile My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                    Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                    TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks again... really mean it. I am thinking about this stuff and appreciate you sharing your experience. Wink I already posted this in the 1000 mile club tonight, but I am a excited about it so I will post it here too: Today I just went further than ever before (12.57 miles). It was a tough, hilly trail. It's 10 K round trip and I did it twice. My legs felt it, but it was doable. I've been trying to build up my distance and hills slowly for a 22K trail race in May. So far so good. I'll see how I feel tomorrow before I decide whether to have a recovery week next week or make my next long run 15 miles. Yahoo! Big grin
                      Find the fun.
                        Today I just went further than ever before (12.57 miles). It was a tough, hilly trail. It's 10 K round trip and I did it twice. My legs felt it, but it was doable. I've been trying to build up my distance and hills slowly for a 22K trail race in May. So far so good. I'll see how I feel tomorrow before I decide whether to have a recovery week next week or make my next long run 15 miles. Yahoo! Big grin
                        Way to go! It's a great feeling pushing the limit to see what we can do.
                          Something my friend and I have adopted for hills, up and down - a zig zag motion. You may cover a little extra ground, but it helps. It's especially helpful on steep uphills, even if walking (which I mostly do), and with downhills, it alleviates some of the pressure on your quads and knees. Good luck,and have fun!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks fatozzig I will experiment with that. Smile
                            Find the fun.