Trail Runners

Pikes Peak Ascent (Read 214 times)

Kenotic Runner

OK, excuses are a wonderfully convenient thing aren't they. Especiallly when we can put them on other people. Like many other runners my SO has been intermitently supportive of my running. Generally not though and I think mostly because of two factors - the time it takes and sheer jealousy. Anyhow, yesterday morning she tells me that a family friend said to her that he'd be interested in training with me for the Pikes Peak Ascent. I'm thinking... Grr, there's no way I could have suggested that to her. Oh the duplicity. But then I'm thinking I'd really like doing that. Then I'm thinking, ugh, I'd have to do that training. Then I'm thinking, does she reallly know what she's saying? Does she know the time it would take to train? Then I'm thinking she must have been reading that relationship self-help book she bought about how she's supposed to love her husband and be nice to him. Then I'm cynically thinking, that'll pass. Anyhow, I have a window of opportunity to say yes. http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/course.htm http://www.skyrunner.com/ppcourse.htm Right now I'm just running trails for fun. And, ya know, there ain't much air to suck in at 14,000 feet above sea level. What to do... Thoughts?
      Have you done it before? Is it a race you wanted to do before She gave the "go-ahead", or would it be a place-filler for something else you would rather do? Personally, I like "new" courses, and we can only train for so many, I have to really want to do it to get a commitment from my brain. Just my$0.02.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Kenotic Runner

Never done it before. I've *hiked* Pikes Peak, but trying to run *up* a vertical mile and then some is a totally different matter. Would be fun.... I think.
          It's a really really fun race, but be prepared to register the very second that online registration opens. Wave 2 sold out in something like 8 minutes last year. They've also added some entry qualifications this year, even for Wave 2. Good luck! - Chris
            Never done it before. I've *hiked* Pikes Peak, but trying to run *up* a vertical mile and then some is a totally different matter. Would be fun.... I think.
            I'm new in this group, but the Incline Club is a great group of runners to train with. Maybe come give it a try....all levels are welcome. Not many of us "run" the whole time. We take walk breaks up the steeper parts. I'm new myself to the club. Hope to see you there. Sunday mornings, leaving at 8am from Memorial Park.

Into the wild

intermitently supportive, jealousy. I'm thinking... Grr, there's no way I could have suggested that to her. , duplicity. Then I'm thinking, does she reallly know what she's saying? relationship self-help she's supposed to love her husband and be nice to him. Then I'm cynically thinking, What to do... Thoughts?
              Evil grin 'scuse me for being devil's advocate but I'd be looking for someone who wanted to be with me!!

Shut up and run