Trail Runners

Shoe Tips? (Read 249 times)

Beware, batbear...

Hey Guys.  I'm a newbie and am looking for some advice on a good pair of trail sneaks.  I'm looking for something that can do wet and dry, and about 2 miles of road on the way to the trail.  I just learned I've got pretty good access to the Mountains-to-Sea Trail by leaving out my back door.  I'm pretty psyched about this.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Hey Guys.  I'm a newbie and am looking for some advice on a good pair of trail sneaks.  I'm looking for something that can do wet and dry, and about 2 miles of road on the way to the trail.  I just learned I've got pretty good access to the Mountains-to-Sea Trail by leaving out my back door.  I'm pretty psyched about this.

Awesome, that's the greenway/trail I was thinking about in your other thread!  I wish I had good trails so close!

Well, I use Salomon XT Wings because they're supposed to be more of a hybrid shoe, and I wear them on the road all the time, especially if it's been muddy out.  Sometimes I think I like them better than my regular road shoes.  Only issue (and I think we have discussed it on here before) is that if you let them stay wet they develop a really major funk.  I've found that Neutra Air works wonders.

under a rock

I use the XT Wings too and love them! After my road shoes die I'm switching to only my Wings since I normally do so little road running. When I do wear them on the road I find my IT band is much happier than in my road shoes. I've used them in dry, frozen, and very muddy conditions and love how they perform.

I wear Mizunos in road and trail shoes.  If you have a good sports shoe store that has the ability to analyze your running style, take advantage of it get the best shoe for you.  Just make sure you get 1/2 to a whole sizer larger than your regular size.  You'll want the toe room for the downhills.

Also, personal opinion, forget waterproof shoes.  Some people love 'em, but I figure wet feet is part of the trail running experience.  Besides, yeah, they keep water out, but once water does get inside (like when you go through a deep puddle), it doesn't come out.  It's waterproof both ways going in AND going out.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Beware, batbear...

I went with a pair of New Balance MT 909.  Reviews were somewhat mixed on the shoe, but a lot of people loved it.  Any thoughts?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

The King of Beasts

I dont know much about NB shoes, I know some people that like the 100, a very light weight trail shoe.

I trail run in La Sportiva Imogene and road run in Asics Numbus, Asics DS Trainer, or Nike LunaRacer.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Happy

I mentioned it in your other thread but I like Brooks Cascadia for the trails. I also have a Montrail Hardrock shoe for trails but I think it is too heavy and inflexible. For road and treadmill I use the Mizuno Rider - it is a light and snug fitting shoe with plenty of support for marathon training.

----

Judging by the responses you've received there are many different shoes that work for many different people. I am sure I would do well with a number of other shoes if I wanted to switch. The fact that they cost so much limit how much I can experiment though.

_

Let us know what you like.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
                  I run in INOV-8 shoes pretty much all the time if there is trails and dirt involved.  They make many types for many terrains.  I use the f-lite series for runs mixed with road.  I use the roclite series for trail and snow/mud runs.  Great product.  INOV-8 Check the link for a good idea of the shoes they make.  Great website.
                  A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at work.