Trail Runners

Registered for my 1st 50k trail run (Read 238 times)

The Tahoe Rim Trail in July....since I couldn't find a marathon nearby that sounded interesting, I decided to push the race length a little further. I will start the 8 week training for a marathon this Sunday, does that seem reasonable, or should I try to go further than 20 miles in training? I have to say that I run really slow, like 13 minute miles on the trails, so 20 miles will take me awhile. Confused
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Landy, I have no words of wisdom as I'm just beginning, but I think it's awesome that you're going to do this. Just wanted to say good luck with whatever training route you choose and definatley let us know how it went!! I'll bet it'll be gorgeous. ~Joni~

Wasatch Speedgoat

Congratulations, Landy..you will love it more than a marathon. The longer you go, the slower you go. Remember to carry water and fuel up along the way. I hear Tahoe Rim is on an exposed, sunny ridge for the most part. Training for a 50K is no different than a marathon...just be specific and train on trails...it is also good to think about training by time and not distance. That's how i train and I've been running ultras now for over 10 years. go out for 3 hours or 6 hours or whatever you want, then loops and courses don't matter. Just go out for half the time and turn around. Most of my long runs I run closer to 15 mpm, but I'll also run tempo runs during the week at 6:30 pm... We started a new club called the Low HR training group that you might want to check out. Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Imminent Catastrophe

Make sure to train on trails! That sounds beautiful. Enjoy.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Make sure to train on trails! That sounds beautiful. Enjoy.
            I have been trainin gon trails, just not the climbs, nor the altitude. But with a 14 hour cut-off, I hope to be able to do it.
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              Good luck in your race. Sounds tough. you should have no problems making the 14 hour cut off. That's just over 2 mph.
                Thanks for the will-wishes...getting geared up, and going up to Carson City on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes when I return, although my mind seems to turn to mush on those longs runs, so it will probbaly be a short report! Something like..."beautiful, and done, in XX:XX:XX hours". Don't think i'll be abvble to pick up a camera to take along, so may just use my cell phone.

You'll ruin your knees!

The disposable cameras work fine, or the cell phone is OK... those long cardiac climbs at altitude make a great excuse to stop frequently to take pictures! Have fun! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)