Trail Runners

Trail gaiters (Read 264 times)

Are these worth using? I haven't invested in a pair yet. Thinking of getting Dirty Girl ones to keep pebbles out - but wonder if they really work? Confused
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Wasatch Speedgoat

I always used to wear gators....one day after completing a descent down a scree slope on the Hardrock course, I came upon a former winner of the race sitting, emptying out his shoes (I couldn't because my gaiters made it too difficult). Anyway, he told me that he never wore gaiters and rather, preferred to take a break and dump out his shoes. It let his HR come down and forced some rest. We continued on together, he with empty shoes and me with rocks under my arch. The nest aid station, I had to take the time to take off my gaiters and shoes, dump out the rocks. I didn't put the gaiters back on and haven't worn them since. Look at all the top finishers in the trail races and you won't see gaiters on their feet. If you're going to get them, then DG or Joe Trailman are the best for running. Wink Steve

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

I love my Joe Trailman gaiters. They work very much like Dirty Girl gaiters, velcro to the heel and a hook that connects to the strings in front. They are easy to detach from the shoe for changing socks or emptying out persistent rocks, but I never have a problem with miscellaneous debris getting in my shoes when I'm wearing them. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Okay - I must have been tired, or in a hurry, or both, when I posted this the first time - bacause i managed to spell both words in the Topic title wrong!! Thanks for the varying inputs. I may try Dirty Girl, just to see how they work. They're cheap enough, at this point, since I have most other gear I need.
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          Carl A

I second jlynnbob on the JT gaiters. They're easy to use and work great. I ran a 68-miler on rail-trail gravel last summer and had no stones in my shoes. When I had trained there without gaiters, the shoes attracted those sharp little cinders pretty quickly. Also, Running Funky lists their gaiters for $12, so if price is a big factor you could try those.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Eryn

I have Dirty Girls and love them. I don't even use the velcro on the back of the shoe, they stay in place just fine without it. I use them for all my races and some of my long runs, otherwise I end up with the entire trail rolling around in my shoes.

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

I got Dirty Girls, and I love them. The only problem I've had is the velcro on the shoe side came off in the wash (yes - I wash my trail shoes occasionally when they get too stinky or mud-encrusted). And the DG come in cool fabrics! They would make a great Holiday Gift for your running friends/family!
                  Love my Dirty Girls and get lots of comments from other runners. Big grin

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance