Trail Runners

Trail Dawgs in DE (Read 281 times)

On On

Any one done any of their races? Seems to be one of the closest to me, or go north into CT, MA area. http://www.udel.edu/johnmack/traildawgs/ website to Trail Dawgs so you don't have to google them yourself.
    Carl A

I signed up for the DE100 on 9/20, and it looks like it's all going to work out with my wife, children, and everything. It's my first race of that distance; I'll let you all know how it goes.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

On On

Thanks, I am going to try Stumpy's Marathon on 9/7. Don't think I can get back down there for the 100 (life will get in the way). I'll let you know how mine goes as well.
        Carl A

Cool! The Trail Dawgs seem like a good group - I'm sure that the marathon will be a blast!

On On

Had a lot of fun. The weather today was perfect for the trail. Due to the weather though they did not mark the trail last night and went out just an hour before the first person. I think they went in teams to do several parts of the course at the same time but in my opinion missed a few sections. I think I was out there for an extra 30-40 minutes and probably 3+ miles or so. Not really a problem but when you are trying to kick yourself in the butt at the end of a long run and you have no idea how much further you have to go it gets a little demoralizing. I would definitely go back to this event or others by them.
            Carl A

Congratulations on the finish, including the bonus miles! What was the trail like - lots of hills, or more even terrain?

On On

Rolling hills, I don't think at any time during the race I was over 400' above sea level. Most of the trail was just small little ups and downs. There was one section that we ran along an old railroad bed for maybe a mile or so. That was nice at that point in the race. Able to stretch the legs out a little and use different muscles. Went across a few roads and down a couple for short stretches, don't think the longest road stretch was even a half mile at a time. Decent aid stations, two were used twice the way the course looped around and I think there were two others also so about every 5 miles or so on average there was a table with water, gatorade, food, etc. I would have to assume that the trail portion of the 100 is going to be similar. For the night part I think it is roads (correct?). Not sure how many people they expect for the 100 but there was quite a few out of towners looking to do 50 states, don't think there are many options for ultras and marathons in DE. Good luck on 9/20
                Carl A

Yes, the second half is on roads because the park officials won't let them use the park after dusk. On the website, 12 people are signed up. Thanks for the trail info and the good-luck wish!

Carl A

Hi Rick, I posted a race report over in the Racing section of the main forums. It was a great time!

On On

Awesome race report. I feel your pain with the excuses. I have a couple more children but one less job. I also have the soccer coaching and taxiing the children everywhere when the wife goes to work at night. It is so difficult to get in serious mileage but we do what we can. Congrats on the 100. We need to meet up sometime and run a few miles together.
                      Carl A

We need to meet up sometime and run a few miles together.
                        Running with you sometime would be great! A couple local friends and I plan to host a free ultra again next August (the Viaduct Trail Ultramarathon), and if you want you could enter the race or run some of it as a pacer. We would also be able to make jokes about insane soccer parents share soccer-coaching strategies!

Carl A

Also, if you get end up holding the 100K, I'd be interested in that too!

On On

Right now the plan is to do a long training run on a 10M loop on Jan 10th. Watchung Reservation in Summit NJ. The nice thing about the 10M loop will allow people to do as many loops as they want, 2.62, 5, 10 or whatever. The few I have spoken with thought keeping it a "training run" this year would allow us to work the bugs out then possibly call it a Fat Ass next year. You have any thoughts on the difference? I have no problem going right to a Fat Ass this year but don't really know the difference or what it would entail. I spoke with the Park and they were fine with us doing our event that time of year. Are there places to advertise or get the word out about this event. I guess if I go through the effort for 3 people it isn't much different if 30 people show up to run the trail. The course is all ready pre marked and with it being a Fat Ass style event people can't bitch that much at me. You do the Via Duct run in PA, correct? That is a self supported run if I remember correctly. How does that work for you? You looking to do the PHUNT 50K, that is a week earlier Jan 3rd.
                            Carl A

I think that the term fat-ass (I say "free, low-key" when my family's around) was invented to describe post-holiday runs in which people got together to burn off some calories and enjoy a day out. So, as I see it, an FA can be as simple as a group training run but it could also be a more "official" venture as well. Giving the run a name makes it an event. Where you advertise depends somewhat on the distance. If it's a 100, you could list it on run100s.com, a popular site with the 100 crowd. Our original Viaduct Trail Ultra (which was 68 miles) had only three runners, (including me). When we expanded it to 50 and 100 miles, we got a lot more interest. 50K's seem to do pretty well too, though, and you could list something like that on the ultra e-mail listserv and on websites like Ultrarunning magazine's calendar. This is a great time to get started; I think that many runners are finishing up their fall races and thinking about what's next for 2009. Since you've already talked to the park, you're already done with probably the trickiest part of the whole organizing process. Thanks for reminding me about the Phunt 50K. My folks live in Lancaster, PA, which is near there. If we're down in that area then, maybe I'll get to that one. However, a local friend of mine here and I are already planning to run a Yours Truly 50K near the end of January, so I might not be able to make either the Phunt or your inaugural run. It sounds, though, like you're off to a great start!

On On

Too bad, it sounds like you won't be able to head over here in January. A name for the event, hmm, let me give it some thought. I see you went with a simple concept with Viaduct Trail Ultra. I could do that too for simplicity. I could always copy Stumpy and name it after someone. Or make it sound larger than it is and call it the NJ Ultra Experience.