Trail Runners

History of the belt buckle instead of a medal? Anyone? (Read 283 times)

Where did this come from, seemingly specific only to trail running, or only ultras? Anyone know?
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Western States is the onle race I've ever heard of that does this...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You'll ruin your knees!

I have this one... And a couple of these... Badwater gives a buckle for sub 48 hours (not a trail race). Western gives one for finishing and a silver one for finishing in under 24 hours. Tahoe Rim Trail 100 does the same thing...really cool buckle. Not sure of the history...but I love the buckle versus the medal (or just about anything I can actually use). When you go to a pre-race dinner for an ultra, you see all kinds of buckles...and you always wear the one you are most proud of! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wasatch Speedgoat

My wife and i have so many they hide in a drawer, but I'm wearing my Hardrock buckle as I write. Last night I was watching "Run for the Soul", a story of Western states and yes, this is where the idea of the buckle originated. It was a horse race and Gordy Ansleigh's horse got lame, so he ran the whole thing in under 24 hours and got his buckle. To this day WS runners get that same buckle when they finish in under 30 hours. Silver buckles for under 24. WS isn't the only 100 that gives buckles....I have a buckle from Old Dominion 100, Vermont 100, Hardrock 100 and several from Massanutten 100 in Virginia, oh and one from the Bandera 100K. My wife, Deb got a silver buckle at MMT for winning the master's race one year. One that I don't have and would love to get someday is the sub 25 hour Leadville buckle....it's silver and th size of a dinner plate! But I'm probably getting too old to even think of that at age 55.

Life is short, play hard!

Wow - great info...I've been meaning to get the WS video. Rather than pay shipping, we'll probably pick it up next month at WS when we go watch the finishers and work on Sunday morning. So the next question is; how did the buckle come to be the reward for the Tevis Cup (the horse WS race)? Anyone?
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              My wife and i have so many they hide in a drawer, but I'm wearing my Hardrock buckle as I write. Last night I was watching "Run for the Soul", a story of Western states and yes, this is where the idea of the buckle originated. It was a horse race and Gordy Ansleigh's horse got lame, so he ran the whole thing in under 24 hours and got his buckle. To this day WS runners get that same buckle when they finish in under 30 hours. Silver buckles for under 24. WS isn't the only 100 that gives buckles....I have a buckle from Old Dominion 100, Vermont 100, Hardrock 100 and several from Massanutten 100 in Virginia, oh and one from the Bandera 100K. My wife, Deb got a silver buckle at MMT for winning the master's race one year. One that I don't have and would love to get someday is the sub 25 hour Leadville buckle....it's silver and th size of a dinner plate! But I'm probably getting too old to even think of that at age 55.
              What a great collection! If you're like me and my Marathon medals, looking at each can bring back so many memories of those races.....and a great feeling of accomplishment! And that is one of the motivations that keep me running even more!

Wasatch Speedgoat

Yeah it is nice to "buckle" at an event....but at the Bighorn 100 instead of a buckle they gave us a Marmot Precip jacket with the race logo embroidered on the sleeve. Value is $100. I'll take that over a buckle anytime!

Life is short, play hard!

Eryn

<sigh> I dream of a Leadville buckle someday. Smile jlynnbob, NICE pics!</sigh>

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

You'll ruin your knees!

Leadville would be really cool...get a silver buckle if finishing under 25 hours. The pulmonary edema scares me, though... Bighorn 1 week from NOW! Road closures in the Bighorn mountains this week due to heavy snow and high winds! Yikes...I'm gonna have to rethink my packing strategy...lotta water has fallen in one form or another, about 3x normal for this time of year...means miles and miles of wet feet! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)