Trail Runners

Snakes (Read 322 times)

Has anyone ever had any problems with snakes or critters while running on trails? Just wondered as I almost stepped on a snake the other day. I heard it hissing behind me and realized I just missed it. It was only about 1.5" thick by probably 3' long, but that was big enough for me. I believe in this area we only have one type of poisonous snake, and this didn't look anything like it, but it still creeped me out.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Believe me, that snake didn't want to be stepped on any more than you wanted to step on it... Wink If you can, run early in the morning... when it's colder snakes are more sluggish and less aggressive. Undecided Just a thought. I've come across a good sized black rat snake before out on trails. He was interested in only one thing: getting the heck away from me. I was happy to oblige! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Yea - One of the first warm days this spring I was on a trail along an open ditch canal. I ususally take my dog off leash and let him run ahead, but for some reason had a thought like "this is great warm-up weather for rattlers", so i kept him attached to me (6 foot leash). And that day we came across 2 baby ratttlers and the same BIG rattler twice. I was scared of the baby, and it was in the middle of the path, with no terrain to pass, so we decided to turn around at that point. The big one we saw on the way out, watched it cross the trail as we waited, but on the way back it took me by surprise when I passed within 2 feet of it without noticing it. Made me jump after the fact! We have other types that I've seen here and there, in fact we saw one yesterday, but I don't jump at them. Only rattlesankes, whcih are pretty prevalenet around here. No words of advice excvept to keep the dogs close by and eyes open. Actually after the above incident, I trained my dog to run behind me when he's off leash, so at least I'll hopefully see the snake before he puts his nose in it! Happy trails!!!!
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          Janelle, that's the only thing that kept me from totally avoiding the same area!...I knew Mr. Snake was proabably just trying to get some sun and I'm sure had no interest in me! But *gah*...think I'll have to start looking down ALL the time now, instead of just most of the time! And I do usually manage to get right out there first thing in the morning...try to beat the heat and humidity! Didn't know that'd be good for "sluggish" snakes though! Big grin Landy, sounds like I should be happy with my one-big-snake run-in! LOL I don't get too upset when they're little guys, but when they're a little bigger and then they don't slither away, but just hold their head up and stay there lookin', then I'm not all crazy about them! It'd be my luck to accidentally step on one and then get bit. I tell myself even if that happens, if it's not poisonous, no need to panic. But who wants to get bitten!?
            I tell myself even if that happens, if it's not poisonous, no need to panic. But who wants to get bitten!?
            Exactly!
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              Has anyone ever had any problems with snakes or critters while running on trails? Just wondered as I almost stepped on a snake the other day. I heard it hissing behind me and realized I just missed it. It was only about 1.5" thick by probably 3' long, but that was big enough for me. I believe in this area we only have one type of poisonous snake, and this didn't look anything like it, but it still creeped me out.
              Only last week I was running on a wide trail and I noticed this snake slithering across at the last second. I jumped over it.
                I jumped over it.
                Christos, you're definately more daring than I am! I don't even like to jump over logs that thinking there might be (the bigger) snakes under them! Big grin O.K...I know I'm now paranoid, but still.....
                Shiksa

Trail running is new to me, but trail hiking is not. I've encountered a few things over the years, most notably a rattlesnake and a bear. The snake didn't bother me, but the bear had me nervous for a moment. I couldn't decide whether I was supposed to be loud and create a ruckus or be quiet and try to run away. In the end, I just tried to act nonchalant while hyperventilating inside my head. Turns out the bear didn't care about me at all. May I always be so lucky. Smile

Stacy
                  I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

I've seen snakes on runs, but not as many as I do when hiking. The noise gives them warning that I'm coming. The creatures I liked least while out running were the vultures when I lived in Orlando. Moose, bear, and coyotes that I've seen while running were all probably more dangerous, but the vultures all just line the trail on both sides and stare down at you with their beady little eyes just waiting for you to trip and fall...as you pass under them, all their heads turn in time with you and it's really disconcerting. I just shivered thinking about it, and I haven't run underneath the damn things at least 7 years.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I ran into a little bitty copperhead in the middle of a trail in Missouri. The little bugger got into a strike position and wouldn't move out of the middle of the trail. I being the coward that I am went WAAAAY around it. I have seen many critters on my runs the one I haven't seen is a mountain lion. They make me nervous especially since I mostly run by myself in the middle of nowhere. A couple of years ago I was running in East Glacier Montana. Right at the trail head was the following sign: 'Trail Closed 23 miles ahead due to dangerous bear activity' hmmm I think that sounds bad. I started on my run got about 1.5 miles in and was just too freaked out. I turned around and not 2 minutes later heard this HUGE splash just around the corner. That was enough for me, I never saw what it was but I BOLTED out of there.
                      If you're bored ask why you're boring

Beatin' on the Rock

The creatures I liked least while out running were the vultures when I lived in Orlando. Moose, bear, and coyotes that I've seen while running were all probably more dangerous, but the vultures all just line the trail on both sides and stare down at you with their beady little eyes just waiting for you to trip and fall...as you pass under them, all their heads turn in time with you and it's really disconcerting. I just shivered thinking about it, and I haven't run underneath the damn things at least 7 years.
                        I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh! I live in SW FL and have come to appreciate the buzzards. They're the best for cleaning up the mess our vehicles create. Not to mention our fishermen neighbor's discarded bait. Dead Coyotes, moose and bears would lay me OUT! I'm very glad we don't have THEM. ~shiver~ What I do worry about on my trails is wild hogs. (No, not John Travolta!) I just hope they are as scared of me as the snakes... and those beady-eyed evil vultures! Big grin
                        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                          I have seen many critters on my runs the one I haven't seen is a mountain lion. They make me nervous especially since I mostly run by myself in the middle of nowhere.
                          I don't know if this counts because it wasn't while running but it was exciting for me anyway. I saw a mountain lion while flyfishing in a river here in Durango. I was focused on what I was doing and just happened to glance up and she was sitting there drinking at the bend in the river not 30 ft away from me. I slowly retreated, but the cat never moved, just sat there drinking. I was super scared at the time, but in retrospect it was really cool to see. As far as running, I ran into a black bear once, we were equally surprised and scared and we both took off running in opposite directions. Oh, and a porcupine got the dog on a full moon run once, but I only say the aftereffects, not the critter.
                            Wow! All I have to say is thank God I live in Hawai'i! We don't have snakes, bears, mountain lions or any of those really scary thing. The worst I have to worry about is wild boars- but they are pretty scary and dangerous! I think I would probably be too wimpy to trail run if I had to deal with all those animals!