Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team - Dec. 2007 (Read 266 times)

This is a "bring over" thread from CR. It started out as a home for new trail runners who were tired of the whole "newbie" wording. I am trying to entice my frequent posters from CR who transferred to Active to come here. In the meantime, for any of you new to the trails or running, feel free to join in on the talk. If any of you viewing this are old hats at trail running, we are always willing to take in and absorb your sage advice. Smile

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie - Thanks for coming over here, and hopefully, bringing a bunch of trail runners to RA. I've been here over a year now. I started this Trail Runners group for a couple reasons. One was to tapp the experince of the veteran trail mongos - LOTS of experience out there trhat I love to hear from. I am also hoping to get more road runners off the road and dicovering the wonders of the ever-changing trails. I checked out your blog, and seems we have alot in common. I look forward to sharing thoughts and tips, and inspirations, too!
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

I ran trails a lot in college, but got out of it for years and stuck to the roads when I lived in the middle of a city. This past summer I sponsored a race series on a "trail" (a gravel path in the middle of said city) and one of the runners invited me to run with his group - I've been doing trails at least once or twice per week (if not more) all summer and autumn - and now that winter is here I'm still getting out there, I'm just working harder. Most of my trail skills came back pretty quick, but training with guys that race 100 mile races has given me a new respect for it. They convinced me to run my first real trail race at a 50k distance this autumn, and it was really fun despite being almost entirely alone for over 3 hours.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Hello girlfriend. Glad you made it here. Gregolowe here. My new name is buddo, a real nickname from my father. I'm digging the forum over here, but the traffic is so much lighter. Kind of a bummer. I'll keep our little community alive with you. Bring the others over! Holy Moly, you have a blog! Why didn't you say so?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Hello girlfriend. Glad you made it here. Gregolowe here. Holy Moly, you have a blog! Why didn't you say so?
            Dude - It was in my signature block over on CR. You just didn't pay attention, did you?? tsk, tsk Big grin My last trail run was last weekend, and after an absolutely beautifully fantastic run, my friend and I came around the corner to the parking lot, only to find that both of the driver side windows on my car had been busted out. #$%@*! Long story short - I'm glad we finally got to the end of that particular trail because we won't be going back. Which totally sucks, 'cause it was just unbelievably gorgeous. Right smack in the middle of an ancient redwood grove. We kept stopping to listen - - and there was no sound, no birds, nothing. The silence pressing on the ears. Incredible. Probably the most perfect trail I've ever run on. Oh well . . . Anyhoo - no trails this weekend for me since I have family coming into town, but my friend and I plan on trying a new one next week. Happy Trail Running to Ya'll!!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Well, I did my first long run after two months of no training. I went to the Wissahickon Gorge. I hiked up the hills going up the side of the gorge and ran the trails to the end of the gorge. I then ran the gravel road next to the creek at the bottom of the gorge back to my truck. 9.5 miles. I'm doing the low hr training thing so I was trying to keep my hr below 141. I had to jog at 13 min/mile pace, barely running. My feet kill! I self diagnosed my self as having Morton's nueroma after VT50 as my feet felt like they had a pebble in them for a month afterwards. I'm suprised the pain came back so quickly after running again. It tempts me to want to junk the running thing and stay in the weightroom. I love being outside though. If I can't figure this out I might have to remain a muscle head and just resort to hiking and backpacking to get my outdoor fix. I hope not. I like covering long distances in short times and moving unencumbered through the woods. Anyways, hope to hear from you guys.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Slow traffic with the holidays I guess. Drove back from inlaws in southern NJ last night. Went for an hour long run through my little town of Ambler, Pa. The streets were quiet and empty, with all the christmas lights up and every one inside. A full moon and crisp, clear air made for a serene holiday run. Nice solitude. I ran 5 miles at a heart rate of 136. Very relaxing and invigorating. I'm going to hit a new state park this evening for a two hour run. Can't wait! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmans.

No trails this weekend, but we're planning on hitting a new one this Saturday. Will go with camera in hand and will post pics later. Crazy weather this morning - rain, hail, hail, hail, sun . . . . glad it was inside workout day. Big grin

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

9 miles in 3:04. We had a blast! We started at the Prairie Creek Campground and ran to the ocean, as opposed to in the opposite direction, which we did last time. I didn't take my camera 'cause I didn't want to chance it getting soaked and ruined. Ended up being a smart move, 'cause it rained pretty good on us. The trees helped dissipate it somewhat, but we were both pretty wet when we were done, and my pack is soaked through. We had a major storm here about a month ago, and it uprooted quite a few trees along the trail. About the first mile of the trail there's been so much work done to move trees out of the way (big redwoods), that the ground is pretty well ate up and MU-DDY! Some treacherous, slippery footing, but loads of fun. I've always tried to keep my long runs at a slow, easy pace, but Karen has always had a tendency to be a speed demon. She got a heart rate monitor awhile back, and between that and her following my lead, we've slowed down considerably, trying to keep her heart rate in the 140-145 range. It's amazing how much better we both feel going slower. We only saw 3 people on the trail - scared the crap out of one guy when we popped around a corner running at him. Didn't see any elk on the trail, but saw poop signs that they'd been there. Once we were done, we changed clothes and sat in the car with the heater going eating some nice, hot soup. Yum! On the drive home, we saw 6 bull elk. One had a HUGE rack. We have a couple of large groups of Roosevelt Elk in our area, and there are a couple of places on the road that you can usually get a good view of them. On the drive home, we saw the remains of a terrible wreck. Looked like a full size truck had come around the corner too fast, slid into the path of a Ryder truck, which hit it in the cab, and a vehicle (like a Bronco) slid up under the back of the Ryder to its windshield. The people in the truck were killed. The bodies hadn't been removed yet, and there were blankets draped over the passenger and driver side of the truck. Looked like the people from the Ryder and Bronco had been taken to the hospital. Karen and I both looked at each other and voiced the same thought: If we hadn't spent about 45 minutes in the parking lot when we were done running . . . . Kind of a sobering end to a really great morning. So now I get to work on my transcription so I'll be done for the weekend. Have a great one!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nothing

Well, looky who I found here! Buddo and Fatozzig! Nice! Greg, I would love to give you grief over the new name but as you can see I have a new name myself Cool. Feel free to comment. Nice to hear from you and glad you may have figured out your foot issue. Leslie and I have already been chatting in other forums. I'm probably going to be sticking to this one and the ultra forum. I look forward to hearing from you guys. Have a good weekend! Kelly
                        Hi Nothing! Hey - I started a new thread for January. Later!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Since my log got downloaded 3 times I had to get rid of that account and start another. so th eNothing posts are my dead account and my new Ultrachick account has my log loaded only once. I only ran 259 miles last August not 758! Have a fabulous vacation! Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.