Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - April 2010 (Read 555 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, this sounds like a great day for you!! I don't think I've heard you sound this good for a long long time. The trail you describe must have been a beautiful area; soaking the feet in cold water after the run is a good idea.

How did those races go that you've checked off?

Yes, that was fun. Heck, I've lived here for 5 years and always wanted to do that run up to Springer Mountain. 

Those races that I've checked off were great, they were really just training/tempo runs with aid stations and a T-shirt. I'm still in basebuilding/recovery mode so didn't have any particular goal for them other than getting in a good workout (and enjoying the atmosphere), so I enjoyed them very much! 

Chris, I'm just starting to discover all the trails around here and regret the time I missed. Today I had a nice run on the Gahuti Trail at Fort Mountain, which has a whole bunch of nice trails I have yet to explore. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

Do you guys remember the discussion recently on the subject of black toenails? I found an article by Karl King (creator of the S! Caps) on the subject of blisters, black toenails and sodium. I read it and I am going to pay more attention to my Sodium Intake on the next Ultra - you might want to read the article too:

http://www.succeedscaps.com/blisters.html

A quote from the article:

In my personal experience, electrolyte status made a big difference in the frequency 
      of black toenails.  Before I made my own electrolyte supplement, I had six to eight 
      black toenails on a regular basis, just like many of my ultra-running friends.  When I 
      got the hang of how to use the supplements, my black toenails gradually healed and 
      I ran ultras for five years with no more toenail problems.  I made no significant 
      change in shoe or sock type.  In terms of terrain, I actually ran more difficult terrain 
      over those five years.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
        . . .it was probably my toughest training run ever. . .  and one of my best runs ever. Total 18.7 miles.

This is why I love trailrunning!

1++++

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hey Guys! Well, another couple weeks flew by without me checking in. Oh well. Looks like everyone is doing well-I did read and catch up.

I'm doing fine-lots going on like usual. Boys are busy with lacrosse. They're playing in the town we're going to be moving to once they're done school so they could reaquaint themselves with the kids there. Reaquaint because we're moving back to my house I got from my divorce and I've had rented out while we lived with Jack. I've been waffling back and forth on where to live because I really love being out in the country where I am now but don't particularly care to be renting. My house is nice but it's in a neighborhood-paved street, sidewalks, street lights, oh the horrors!! No more turkeys or deer cruising through the yard, my car being covered in mud from the dirt roads....sniff, sniff...:-) But I'm looking forward to unpacking all my stuff and paying my own mortgage so it's all good.

Other news.....Jack and I are hanging out and working on our relationship to be together again. So far so good, so we'll see.....:-)

I actually ran a half marathon last Saturday and cut 3 min off my time from 3 yrs ago at this race and set an overall half PR-1:51:4?. It's a pretty hilly course and I even walked a couple times. I was hoping to finish +/- 1 minute from my previous time so 3 min better is all the much sweeter.

I also registered for the Northface Challenge race at Bear Mtn, NY May 8. Jack and I are going together-we went last year and that's where the picture of me and Dean comes from. I crewed for Jack last year but I'm running the 50k while Jack runs the 50m. The 50k profile is a little daunting with the hills but I'm using it as a training run for the 50m I'm doing Memorial Day weekend in Maine-there's a perfect 3 week spread between the races and I get to go hang with Dean again!

I've also got my eating under control and the scale shows I've lost 5 pounds since February/March. I'm going to treat myself to a running dress from skirtsports :-) Speaking of eating-I'm hungry and it's lunch time. One more hour of work and a client this afternoon and my day is done except having to go run and it's my last week of psychology class! One more essay and the final next week, then that's done!

Have a great weekend everyone!  Kelly  

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
          Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Had a fabulous run today.

3:45 through the woods, on new-to-me trails, in a warm spring rain.

I love days like this - when I'm just amazed and filled with gratitude that my body is able to take me effortlessly and joyously through such beautiful places.

Liz

pace sera, sera