Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - December 2010 (Read 389 times)

Welcome to December, folks.  How's the winter training going so far?

Karen and I got out for 13.4 of the 14 trail miles we were suppose to do.  Some pretty  muddy conditions at points due to rain we've had the last few weeks.  Considering neither of us has had a long run in almost 3 weeks, we did surprisingly well.  I launched a ton of snot rockets, but didn't totally hack up my lungs.  However, now, later in the day, my legs are talking to me a bit.  Tomorrow's 10 will be nice and slow.

The draw for Western States was today.  Unfortunately, neither of my friends, Kate or Gary, got in this year.  Gary is one of the boneheads on the new podcast, 3 Nonjoggers.  I am having so much fun listening to them. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

I've gotten in one trail run so far this month. I'm hoping to be able to do more than 10 miles tomorrow on trails. My PT is anxious to see how her work on  me is doing. I hope to have a great report for her on Monday.

5 trail runs so far in December!  Not long ones, but still preferable to my neighborhood day in and day out.  I did part of the trail my race in April will be held on.  Very pretty trails-my goal is to run it strong at a pace less than 12mm, which on this particular trail should be doable for me. 

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.

Imminent Catastrophe

No trail runs but I did get in 11 miles on seedy Sunset Blvd in LA. It's nothing like a trail run!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Third trail race on Saturday, had a good time.  Turned my ankle pretty badly, however.  

I posted on the general board, asking about trail shoes for wide-footed people running on rocky terrain. If anyone has a thought or two, please let me know. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

No trail runs but I did get in 11 miles on seedy Sunset Blvd in LA. It's nothing like a trail run!

Seedy!! I live on Sunset! OK, OK, it is a long street and I live away from the seedy part.

Nader - I don't know if any shoes such as you're looking for.  Good luck.

Got in 16 miles on Saturday with my buddy, Karen, and Charlie Dog in The Forest.  It's weirdly warm here, as well as rainy, so it was quite muggy.  The legs kept going back and forth on feeling good and feeling like chunks of concrete.  The most fun part was the last half mile, going out Trail #5.  I love to run out #5.  It's mostly flat with a little bit of undulation, and I always seem to get a real surge of energy.  I left Karen and Charlie behind as she's yelling at me, "What got up your butt?!?"  Me: "I don't know!"  It just felt really good!

Got home and had to help The Hub finish up what needed to be done for the Christmas party he'd planned for folks with whom he works.  Between my run, pre-party work, during party work, and getting people out of my house (okay, I finally yelled, "Get out of my house!"), I was up from 5:30 a.m. to almost 2:00 a.m., basically non-stop.  Sunday's run was on the road, another muggy day, and was slow, slow, slow.  I was totally wrung out and dead asleep in bed by 8:00 p.m.  A solid 5 hrs without waking up, until night sweats hit around 1:00 a.m.  Irritating, but I felt rested this morning, although my legs are tired.  Thankfully, today is a planned rest day!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

under a rock

Just thought I'd share some photos from my unexpected snow run this morning. The forecast didn't call for rain/snow until the afternoon. But, 5 miles into an 11 mile run it started to sleet, then snow mixed with sleet. Glad I had my camera!

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Third trail race on Saturday, had a good time.  Turned my ankle pretty badly, however.  

I posted on the general board, asking about trail shoes for wide-footed people running on rocky terrain. If anyone has a thought or two, please let me know. 

Nader - sorry to hear about your ankle! Been there.

My thoughts on "trail shoes"...

Most offer more cushion and increased heel-toe drop (increased heel height) over traditional shoes. In my opinion (as a barefoot/minimalist runner), the increased isolation from the terrain - and especially increased elevation (in terms of cushioning) and heel height - only add to instability. That is, you're much more likely to come teetering down off of high-heeled or platform shoes than you would off of your own two feet. Add into that the uncertainty of rocks, roots, etc. and you're just asking to snap a hoof.

So, for me, the ideal trail shoe would protect you from pokey objects (sharp rocks, cactus needles, etc.) while giving you the greatest stability (something only the flatest, most minimal shoes would do).

That said, (and not wanting to point you too outside the norm), check out the New Balance MT 101 - the latest version of their minimalist trail shoe, follow up to the MT 100. There are other more minimal shoes to come early next year - much, much better. Unless you are running races in excess of 75 miles, a minimal shoe should suit you just fine. (Either that, or my feet are just way too insensitive!)

Liz

pace sera, sera

under a rock

I've found it hard to find any shoe, trail or road, that I feel is wide enough in the toe box for my tasted. Very frustrating.

I'll second the MT101 for a wide trail shoe. I've got the women's version and am liking it. My favorite shoes are the La Sportiva Crosslite and Skylites. I'm not sure how wide they would be for a guy though since those are unisex size. But for me I find them very roomy in the toe box and love the comfort of the heel. They have a reduced heel to toe drop compared to most normal trail shoes but not as reduced as the MT101. Both the MT101 and Sportivas take time for your foot to get used to the reduced cushion and support, more so in the MT101.

Yo from Philly. :30 on the treadmill after bulking up 15 lbs. Cigars and pipe don't help either. I'm oficiallh a fat slob, and wickedly out of shape. My fitness is shot. Oh well. Tons of good reading in over the last few months. Later.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Buddo - A quick flyby and he's gone again. Smile

Wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY and SAFE NEW YEAR!  Don't forget to post your events for 2011 in the thread at the very top of this forum.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Buddo - A quick flyby and he's gone again. Smile

Wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY and SAFE NEW YEAR!  Don't forget to post your events for 2011 in the thread at the very top of this forum.

OK.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016