Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - May 2010 (Read 629 times)

Ostrich runner

Thanks Flower! I had a great time. Now, I just need to string together a few more long runs before Mohican - time to get my butt in gear.

Hope the new shoes continue to make your feet happy - it's always exciting to find something that works.

Have you done Mohican before?  I have been doing some training with friends who are planning that to be their first 100.  It is in the realm of possibility that I will go as a pacer, but I think life is going to interfere.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Have you done Mohican before?  I have been doing some training with friends who are planning that to be their first 100.  It is in the realm of possibility that I will go as a pacer, but I think life is going to interfere.

First Mohican. And, I'm only doing the 50 (in prep for Burning River 100).

Went down a few weeks ago and ran a bit of the course with a local.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Today's run - oh my.  One of the good things is just as I was about to get underway, I remembered that I only had to do 16 and not the 18 I thought.  Two other good things, I got in some good hill power walking and I finished the 16 . . . okay 15.80.  But boy, oh boy, was it a tough run.  About 1/2 a mile into it, I knew it wasn't going to be good.  My legs felt like I'd done my strength training the night before instead of Thursday night, and they just never got sproinky.  I had to walk a lot of the hills, and it even got to the point where it was hard to run downhill, my quads were so trashed.  My back muscles are also telling me that I haven't run that kind of mileage/hills in quite awhile.

All in all, I'm a mess right now and am recovering with pizza.   We'll see how tomorrow's 10 go.

I purchased a 1.5 liter bladder for my Nathan's Running vest.  It was nice not having to carry a bottle today, but I find that I didn't drink as much as I should have.  Will have to work on that one.

Tomorrow - The Hub will be smoking ribs, and we're gonna have three "starving" young people over for dinner.  Should be a nice evening.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Did a 4-hour power hike today.

This is my attempt at "active recovery" from IT band issues that have been plaguing me for the past month or so (despite strength training, stretching, ART, and reduced mileage).

(Been meaning to do more walking as part of my ultra training. It not only uses muscles differently, but also causes different sorts of blister/foot care issues... )

Wound up in the midst of a triathlon with a mountain biking segment. Was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the bikers, many of whom were asking directions (or at least confirmation that others had gone the same way).

Liz

pace sera, sera

Wound up in the midst of a triathlon with a mountain biking segment. Was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the bikers, many of whom were asking directions (or at least confirmation that others had gone the same way).

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

Did a 4-hour power hike today.

This is my attempt at "active recovery" from IT band issues that have been plaguing me for the past month or so (despite strength training, stretching, ART, and reduced mileage).

(Been meaning to do more walking as part of my ultra training. It not only uses muscles differently, but also causes different sorts of blister/foot care issues... )

Liz, I am sorry that you are having these IT band issues. I can see that with a 4-hr!!!!! recovery power hike you haven't quite mastered the art of "taking it easy" yet. But with some practice you will get there, I am sure  

I need some help myself - had a couple of very nice runs this week (not long) and then progressed to having a rather terrible run on Friday where it seemed my left foot/leg were screaming for attention during the entire run and my mind was full of the most vicious negative self talk to a point where I am now on my second day after Friday of no running. I should have fit a long run into last week but I didn't and after Friday's pains I think I will leave a long-run out of the equation and just let it ride - I have a 50K trail Ultra to run next Sunday and I need to be fresh for it. 

Leslie, Nice picture!!!! Sounds like you are doing well - given all the things that could go wrong.... having legs that are tired is probably just part of the picture of long distance training.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

The King of Beasts

Today's run - oh my.  One of the good things is just as I was about to get underway, I remembered that I only had to do 16 and not the 18 I thought.  Two other good things, I got in some good hill power walking and I finished the 16 . . . okay 15.80.  But boy, oh boy, was it a tough run.  About 1/2 a mile into it, I knew it wasn't going to be good.  My legs felt like I'd done my strength training the night before instead of Thursday night, and they just never got sproinky.  I had to walk a lot of the hills, and it even got to the point where it was hard to run downhill, my quads were so trashed.  My back muscles are also telling me that I haven't run that kind of mileage/hills in quite awhile.

can that be the word of the day?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Liz, I am sorry that you are having these IT band issues. I can see that with a 4-hr!!!!! recovery power hike you haven't quite mastered the art of "taking it easy" yet. But with some practice you will get there, I am sure  

"Easy" has never been my strong suit, despite being quite lazy!

Flew up to a nifty little state park today - did a 3-hour hike then spent some time combing the beach (on Lake Michigan).

Now, for your Negative Nancy self...

I like to use those times as opportunities to train for overcoming the negativity. "Oh, good - I'm getting down on myself again. Now, let's see what I can do to overcome this so, when it hits on race day, I'll be ready."

Liz

pace sera, sera