Trail Runners

15 k trail race in a month (Read 207 times)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Any suggestions to prepare for a 15K trail race or for the race itself. I am running my first trail race in years next month. It's a 15K. I've done a 5K over 8years ago. This is the longest race I done before. I started trying to increasing my distances in November. I just discovered what a little gu can do half way through my long run. I am looking towards longer distances in the future if this goes well. I welcome any serious suggestions or humor.
    Find the fun.

Into the wild

No real advice as I'm in the same boat...just get out there :-) What time are you spending training on trails at the moment? Where's the event you plan to run in? My first is HERE

Shut up and run

Not much to do at this point besides run. Most plans would have you tapering in two weeks anyway. I guess my only suggestion would be maybe to find a 1/2 marathon plan and run the last four weeks of that according to how you feel and your fitness level.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I just discovered what a little gu can do half way through my long run.
          And ALOT of gu may help even more! If i really want to do my best, I have found that energy intake (ie; gels) are critical to consume pretty much the entire race. As long as your stomach can handle them, that is. And experiment before the race to find which brand of gel/s you like. I find that while I think HammerGel is one of the best out there for the body to absorb, the Gu brand is easier on the taste buds. So I tend to have Hammer the first part of a long run and then switch. Just my $0.02.
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Thanks all. The race is an X Terra at Mission George (San Diego). I do a long trails run once a week and sometime a medium distance trail run. This is a recovery week so I went for a hour hill hike after resistance training. I will most likely run quick 3-4 mile run on the trail on Sunday. JF- Good luck at your race. That topo of the race in Europe looks cool both the course and the fact that it is abroad. Where exactly is it. Bonkin- Thanks. I've adjusted a Higdon plan with some cross training. T2R- Thanks for the advice on gels too.
            Find the fun.

Into the wild

Thanks all. JF- Good luck at your race. That topo of the race in Europe looks cool both the course and the fact that it is abroad. Where exactly is it. .
              The run is about 45 mins south from us. This puts it 40 mins from the city of Montpellier and 20 minutes from the coast at Sete. (It's also in the village we lived in for 3 years prior to where we are now so it has a 'special' interest) Most of the terrain will be vineyards but I know the big climb to be up to a couple of antennae atop a hill. I hope to find the distance within me and a useful progress monitor on my training for an ultra in April.

Shut up and run

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Good luck JF
                Find the fun.