Trail Runners

Newbie Questions (Read 272 times)

Beware, batbear...

I'd like to add some trail running into my mix of training.  There's a lot of trails out here in Western NC, but I don't really know the faintest about how to get to them, what to wear, what to carry, who to ask.

Any thoughts on how to get started?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Do you have any state parks nearby?  If so, I would look for an easy or moderate trail at one of those as a good starting point, and then as you get more used to the trails, you can move on to the moderate to hard routes.  When I was last in the Asheville area, I went out to Grandfather Mountain, which I think is a state park and ran 4-5 miles there.  Pretty steep but fun, although a little on the icy side (and that was March!).  I seem to remember that there is also a pretty long greenway in that area.

For 4-10 miles, I would probably bring a handheld water bottle, and above that I usually bring a pack, not just for water, but for some shot bloks, my camera.  If you have no idea where you're going and there's any potential you might get lost, you might add in a compass, solar blanket, water purification tablets, minimal first aid.  I find the more I go trail running, the less I bring.

under a rock

I just started trail running last year. I started out with my road shoes and made sure I really liked it before buying some trail shoes. If I do anything longer than 4 miles I bring my fuel belt. I usually have my cell phone, chap stick, tissue, and a map (if it's a trail I don't know) stashed in my fuel belt pocket. When it's too warm for tights I like to wear long socks or compression leg sleeves to protect my legs from plants.

The biggest thing is to slow down and don't feel ashamed to walk. The effort of trail running feels harder at the time but the next day you won't feel it on your body as much as road running. It may take awhile for your ankles to strengthen, they were the only sore areas I dealt with to start out.

I started off on local mountain bike trails and quickly added local hiking trails. My favorite place to go actually has a log book for me to check in and out, makes me feel better knowing someone there will miss me if I don't come back in a reasonable time. Just pick a local trail and plan on doing a short run to start with. I usually plan short runs when I am going to run a trail I've never been on. That way I have a feel for it before I commit to too long of a run on a trail that isn't to my current ability. A lot of trail races have areas that are rocky and need to be walked so don't shy away from tough trails. For me it can be disappointing if I get on a trail where I feel like I'm doing more walking than running, I have at least one trail like that around here so I rarely run it.

Good luck and have fun!

Happy

Hi Newbie - I was recently a newbie myself. I am still learning. Good advice in the two previous posts. I find a relatively short loop type trail is a good way to start. In that way you don't have to bring anything besides a trail map (to use in case you are unsure of turns and markings) and perhaps a hand held water bottle. You will get back to your car after each loop - this means you can store drinks, water, gear etc in your car and drop extra clothing off in case you start out wearing too much or if it warms up while you are out there. Store things in your trunk out of sight.

A short loop is 3-5 miles (if not too hilly or too technical). When you feel comfortable with this trail you can move on to exploring a different trail. 

I agree with Runslikeagirl that you can use your regular road shoes at first. I used road shoes for a long long time before I decided I was serious enough about the trails to keep going back to them. I twisted an ankle a number of times before I realized that the trail shoes are made "lower to the ground" in order to prevent twisted ankles and provide a more secure ride. Most trail shoes also protect the toes in case you bump into roots and rocks - helps protect your nails. Important but not visible is a layer of sole that prevents sticks and other obstacles from penetrating the sole and cut into your foot. A great feature. In addition I find that my particular preferred brand of trail shoe (Brooks Cascadia) has a wonderful sole that has great traction and makes it much easier to navigate in loose sand and wet/muddy situations. This shoe is also very flexible and light - also quite durable. And did I mention, it's sexy too?! 

_

The internet is a good way to find information about trails in your area before you venture out. You can get driving directions to the park, get maps online to view before going out, read all kinds of things about the terrain, opening/closing hours, fees etc.

_

Don't worry too much - just go out there and get started. Learn as you go. Enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Hi Baten - Seen you around and figured you were trying to decide exactly when and where.

One thing to remember about trail running - throw any concept of pace/time out the window.  Three miles on the trails is totally different than 3 miles on the road.

You will work more of your body as a trail runner than a road runner as you are responding to all the twisting, turning, climbing, descending.  It's a fantastic workout.

Always take at least one hand held, do a couple of short runs - maybe 3 to 5 miles - and see how things go for you.  This may be enough fluids, it may not.  Your nutrition and fluids needs will be much different than road running.  The longer you're on the trails, the more you will need to think about real nutrition.

Make sure you truly are enjoying the trail run experience before you go out and spend money on trail shoes, hydration packs, fanny packs, whatever might work for you.

I highly recommend you always carry with you a two sandwich baggies: one with baby wipes, one to store used baby wipes.  You gotta use nature's bathroom, you carry out your cleaning supplies.  And why baby wipes?  They're easy on the rear, and they don't disintegrate if they get wet (i.e. rain).

Lastly - have fun!  Just go out for some short runs and have fun!  It's a whole different experience, and boy howdy is it ever fun!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

One thing to remember about trail running - throw any concept of pace/time out the window.  Three miles on the trails is totally different than 3 miles on the road.

A corollary to this point:  Don't go with a deadline, as in, "I have 45 minutes, let's see if I can sneak in a 3 mile trail run."   I can do this with road runs because I generally know the lay of the land and I can modulate my speed more easily.   But being up against an appointment or dusk  ensures that I will have a miserable workout.  I always end up in a panic, pushing too hard up a hill or two, and then end up walking more than I would have if I wasn't rushing around.

Part of the fun in trail running for me is having lots of time to enjoy myself, take pictures, stop at the overlooks. 

Not saying that it isn't always wise to tell someone how long you *think* it should take so that they know when to call search and rescue, but I always add lots of cushion.  Like hours.

Not saying that it isn't always wise to tell someone how long you *think* it should take so that they know when to call search and rescue, but I always add lots of cushion.  Like hours.

LOL!!  So true!  My wife isn't to call SAR until I'm at least 24 hours overdue.  I've come close to that once or twice too. :-)

*snork!*  Yep.  I tell The Hub, oh, I should be home around 1:00, but he knows it'll be more like 2:00 or 3:00.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

At the end of my run today I remembered something to add to your list. If you are driving to your trail bring a pair of clean shoes, socks, and a towel to leave in the car. Today I brought clean shoes but had no clean socks or a towel to clean off my muddy feet.

Imminent Catastrophe

LOL!!  So true!  My wife isn't to call SAR until I'm at least 24 hours overdue.  I've come close to that once or twice too. :-)

You are probably all familiar with this story but just in case...

BTW I named my dog Taz.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016