Trail Runners

Ultrarunners behaving badly (Read 398 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

No worries - you linked and that was credit enough. Smile  I just wanted to weigh in with my thoughts.

Susan did 99% of the work there anyway...I just saw a great topic on the ultralist and asked her if I could share it. I thought it was a good letter and my operating assumption is that a very very small percentage of my newsletter are on the ultralist, heheh.

Yeah, I'm debating whether to rejoin the ultralist but don't know if I want to deal with the huge volume of messages. Even the digest version is a lot.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Professional Antagonist

When I started running ultras a few years ago, a major motivator was to escape the jackasses I kept running into in road races.  The ultra crowd was just so laid back and willing to help a newbie... it was inspiring.  I try to help out new runners whenever possible.  The message I repeat all the time- be nice, smile a lot, and thank the volunteers. 

Each one of us has the ability to make an event better or worse based on our own behaviors.  The people in the blog post make me very sad.

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

Yeah, I'm debating whether to rejoin the ultralist but don't know if I want to deal with the huge volume of messages. Even the digest version is a lot.

I use google apps for domains, so I just made a rule that anything sent to the email address I signed up to the ultralist with gets a label and is auto-archived.

Every day or two I just go in and anything that catches my eye I take a look at, otherwise I "select all unread" and "mark as read".

Between not having it clog my actual inbox and having all the messages stack on each other if they have the same subject line it isn't too bad.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)