Trail Runners

What's up here? "Is there anybody out there?" (Read 500 times)

Hey, Chris!  I was wondering what had happened to you, but it sounds like things are looking up.  It's good to see your avatar again. Smile

Buddo - My first race of the year ended at Mile 7 when I fell and dislocated my right middle finger.  I'm still dealing with the consequences and will be for a long time . . . or so I've been told by my PT.  Next on the list is Mt. Hood 50 miler, my second ever.  I'm looking forward to it as my friend, Kate, is running it with me and a couple of other friends I haven't seen since WS 2012 will be there.  If I survive, it'll be fun!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

HappyFeat

Finally got someone to go with me for a trail run today - the first in weeks and weeks since I'm a Big Sissy about going alone. Something about the possibility of lions, bears, and crazies that makes me nervous.  Anyway, It was great!  The buddy took off ahead after about 3 miles, and I ran alone for most of it. 11 miles of fresh air and wonderful scenery. The rain held off, which was quite nice too.  The whole experience took all of my energy that I didn't have any left over to be nervous that I was alone. Not sure if that's good or not.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Another great Saturday for trail running. 60F and overcast. Ran 2-1/2  hours with a friend and her dog. It was strenuous but fun! Met a mountain biker at the point we turned around who mentioned a bear encounter 2 miles from the trail head. Yikes!

10K trail race next Sunday. Wish me luck!

HappyFeat - There's a thread in the Masters Forum that talks about how to deal with bears.

I've had three bear encounters in as many weekends.  I stopped, raised my arms, made a lot of  noise clapping and yelling, and they ran away like they'd been shot out of a rocket.  They're more scared of you than you are of them.  Try not to run where the vegetation is close in around you, make noise when you're getting to blind corners, and generally make noise by clapping and yelling as you go along.  They'll hear you and leave before you even know they're there.

That being said, my runs this past weekend were terrible, especially Saturday.  Lots of stomach issues, and I think the humidity got to me.  But I've had a few weeks of good runs, so I figure I was due for a stinker.  Four weeks 'til Mt. Hood, and I think I'm as ready for it as I can be.

Also on the Good News Front - I'll have a new coach come August 1.  Yea!!  I've been worried as the coach I'm working with now was a gift paid for by a friend and I can't afford to stay with him.  I reached out to a friend who's an excellent trail runner, and he's agreed to coach me.  I'm excited!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

HappyFeat

Leslie, in training for your Mt Hood event, what will be your longest run?  I'm glad you found a new coach - what is your goal after the 50-miler?

I've seen about a dozen bears while backpacking and in my experience they run away if they were already on the move or they keep eating berries after making sure that I am on the move! Running into one on a trail run would be quite different I think, being a more narrow enclosed space.  We also have cougar in the area.  I think I'll stick with the running buddy and her dog for now.  I'm afraid to use pepper spray because I'd probably spray myself too!

My longest runs start this Friday with 6/20/14.  I ended up with three weeks of recovery, instead of two, after the 3 days of running over  Memorial Day Weekend or I'd probably be running 22-24 on Saturday and 16-18 on Sunday.

I only have one other race on the schedule for this year, a 50k in early October.  I'm already started to think about what I want to do next year.  I'd love to do the 3-day WS training run again, but I'd also like to try to do two 50 milers, so we'll see.  Will have to discuss it with Coach Gary.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

HappyFeat

A great fall Saturday morning for trail running. 60F and sunny. Ran 2-1/2  hours with 3 friends and 4 dogs. They are in taper for marathons next weekend, but after that they should be available for trail running on a more regular basis. It was great to get out today. 

Imminent Catastrophe

A great fall Saturday morning for trail running. 60F and sunny. Ran 2-1/2  hours with 3 friends and 4 dogs. They are in taper for marathons next weekend, but after that they should be available for trail running on a more regular basis. It was great to get out today. 

The dogs are in taper?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

The dogs are in taper?

You would say that! No, the doggies did not appear to be tapering in the slightest. The two marathoners trailed behind and I led  - following the dogs who kept stopping and crossing the path right under my feet to backtrack to their owners, then rocket ahead and then stop again, cross my path stopping me in my tracks,  and backtrack to owner - over and over and over.  The worst of it was it made me feel unworthy since they didn't want to stay with me.Sad

Don't worry, Happyfeat, when my friend's dog ran with us, he never wanted to be with me, even though I was out front.  But boy was he a joy to watch when we'd first get going and he'd run and bounce like he'd consumed 1,000 ounces of pure caffeine!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yo from Philly! Been training for the Philly marathon, my first. Stoked. Training has gone well. I'm tapering now, though I'm running a half this Sunday and next according to my plan. Ultimate goal is OD 100 next June, or maybe the Laruel Highlands 70 miler and a 100 in the fall next year. We'll see. Thought the marathon would be a good idea to help structure the training and motivate me, and it has. I'm stoked! Ready to go. So, there I am. What's up with y'all?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

HappyFeat

Hi Buddo,

Your training log looks amazing with all those long runs and speedwork.You're going to do great in your marathon!

I ran a 12K trail race last Sunday for the second year in a row. Since they reversed the course, it was harder with more uphill. Also, the first mile turned into a 13-minute single-file walk Sad   STILL, I improved my time by 4 minutes - yay! Pretty darn pleased with how my initial attempts at tempo running have paid off.

Tomorrow I'm going for a 12-mile trail run with a friend and her dog. It's likely to be pouring rain. I can't decide whether to wear the rain jacket or not. It's not breathable, so I'm usually hot and sweaty  wearing it; but running 2.5 hours in the rain might be risking a chill to say the least. I think there's enough canopy protection for the most part. Think I'll just take several options and sort it out at the trailhead.

Thanks fOr the encouragement. I've found at good old fleece is the best rain defense. Rain jackets make you soaked from within, trapping body heat and sweat. Fleece breathes better,  11 days to go to the marqthon. Feeling confident, though scared. Anticipating painwas my shoes are minimal in cushioning and me feet have hurt on my longer runs. We'll see. 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

HappyFeat

Thanks fOr the encouragement. I've found at good old fleece is the best rain defense. Rain jackets make you soaked from within, trapping body heat and sweat. Fleece breathes better,  11 days to go to the marqthon. Feeling confident, though scared. Anticipating painwas my shoes are minimal in cushioning and me feet have hurt on my longer runs. We'll see. 

Thanks for the tip about wearing fleece, Buddo. I hadn’t thought of that, but I love the idea. Actually some fleecewear is probably a bit water repellent. It did not rain for my trail run last Saturday after all and I had a great run.

I have no experience with minimalist shoes. Have you been running in them for a long time? If your feet hurt wearing them for longer distances, maybe reserve them for shorter runs and wear something with a little more shock absorption for those long runs.

Hey folks - Things starting to heat up in here again?  It's been quiet for a few months.

Tomorrow must be Buddo's marathon?  Good luck and let us know how it went.

I've been running, but am also in a rest period.  Have been slowly building my miles back up and put in 28 this week.  The break's been nice, and I'm definitely feeling more rested.

Today it was 10 trail miles out at Headwaters.  I could definitely feel the extra ST training I've been doing, but I'm very pleased with how the run went.  I worked the hills harder than I have been, and ran up sections I normally would have walked.  It threatened rain all morning and started drizzling when I was about a mile from the car.  When I got done, I walked around for about 5 minutes to cool down, took all my crap off and got in the car, and about 5 minutes later, the skies opened up and it dumped for about 3+ hours.  Talk about lucky!

So there's a section of the Elk River Trail up towards the top of the climb that always turns into a muddy, snotty, slippery, shoe-sucking mess.  Lots of waist-high ferns, alder trees - it's a fun section to try and navigate.  Seriously, it's fun!  I hadn't been all the way to the top in almost a year and was looking forward to sliding through there.  . . . . . . . . . They've totally groomed!   Tore out the ferns, took out the trees, and groomed it with crushed rock.  It looks like a freaking park.  It sucks!!  Evil  I understand it was probably done for erosion control purposes, but it still sucks.  Completely changed the whole atmosphere of a big section of the trail.  I popped around a corner, not knowing what had been done, and WHAM!  It looks completely out of place and was total jolt to the senses.  Literally stopped me in my tracks as my brain tried to register what I was seeing.  Bummer.  Total bummer. Dead   . . . . . . but I still had a great run. Smile

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance