Trail Runners

Running Trails Near Cheyenne, WY? (Read 135 times)

Jeff F

Free Beer

Does anyone know if there are any good running trails within a reasonable driving distance of Cheyenne, WY?  I will be visiting my family in the area in a couple of weeks and want to check out the local trails.  I tried to locate a Cheyenne running club but it does not appear there is one. That is usually a good source for running information.

Did you post your question in the Ultra Forum, too?  It seems to be a bit busier with folks who run all over the country.

And if you end up running trails there, we expect pictures!! Big grin

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

The King of Beasts

I did an ultra out there in Medicine Bow National forest I think was the name.

its maybe 20 min out of town - west on the main interstate up there. I remember it being pretty nice.

might be worth a look.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Jeff F

Free Beer

Just thought I would provide an update. I ran a 12 mile trail run on Sunday in the Medicine Bow National Forest. The trail head was at the Happy Jack Campground parking lot. No maps available, but met another runner at the trailhead who gave me some sketchy drections. This area had multiple trails and anyone who is directionally challenged could have easily gotten lost. Ended up doing one loop of a little over 6 miles and then an out and back on a perimeter trail. The first loop was almost all single track which I would have called mildly technical, one section was called the Haunted Forest which was pretty overgrown but still passable. The out and back was on a road and a fairly easy trail. Total elevation change for the 12 miles was probably only a couple thousand feet. When I go back to visit my family I would do this again and run more of the other trails. This appeared to be primarily a mountain biker area, but did see a handful of other runners, almost all running with dogs..

I know I may get banished, but I didn't take my camera or cell phone so I did not get any pictures.