Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - June 2010 (Read 434 times)

Good luck, Buddo.  Have fun!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Put in 21.5 brutal trail miles yesterday.  Ran Headwaters and did the 1200' climb three times.  Combo of power-walking and running the first and second times, 99% power-walking the third time.  My legs were just plain ole pooped, as was I.  I woke up just really wanting to stay on the couch and sleep more, so I guess the day didn't start off with a bang in the first place.

Been having trouble with a stiff left shoulder and left side of the neck, which gets worse with running.  So after the run today, I went down to the mall to a massage place run by some Asian folks.  Criminy!  My back was so dang tight, and I felt like a piece of meat being tenderized!   Glad I decided only 30 minutes.  Not sure I could've gotten off the table otherwise.

Wednesday, Karen and I leave for Squaw Valley.  Her sister, KateMD, is running Western States, which starts Saturday.  I . . . am so  . . . . excited!!  The caliber of running we're going to have the privilege of the seeing . . . . woo hoo!

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

June is two-thirds over and I haven't made a post?!

Haven't been feeling like much of a runner lately - been cutting back trying to let an IT band issue settle down.

Did get out and spend some quality time in the woods this weekend...

Used the Mohican 50 as a training run for Burning River 100 - 6 weeks out.
        I think I got exactly what I wanted out of it - a tough day without the need for extended recovery.

Heat, humidity, hills.
        Nagging injury that flared early had me walking after 15 miles. (But, I rocked those first 15!)
        What I didn't expect was that my walk (anticipated) would get even worse - thanks to extended downhills that had me going sideways, providing weird stresses and blistering. By 26 miles it was BAD. This gave me the opportunity to find new ways to keep going when all seemed lost.

Nutrition, hydration, electrolytes all seemed to be on the mark - happy happy all day.
        Rocked the uphills the whole way - never passed (that I recall), usually passing. (The downhills, however, were beyond pathetic.)

Since this was a "training run", I drew the line at adding injury (beyond blistered feet).
        End result - 45 miles in 13:30. Lots of time on (wet) feet. Lots of learning. A great, but emotionally draining, day.

Liz

pace sera, sera

If anybody's interested:

(Cut and paste into your browser) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37726178

Analysis of my race. Long and short of it: BRUTAL. Steep, rocky, hot, stinging nettles, blisters, 2 giant climbs in first 20 miles that whooped me for the rest of the race. Hit my goal however of 40 miles under 9 hours. The race was 41 however (doh!), making my final time look weak. 8:58 sounds better than 9:15 or whatever it was. I was gassed by mile 20, ready to pack it in at 30. Like Buzzie, I dug deep. Two mantras that got me through: "Run when you can, walk when you have to", and "You have reserves you don't even know about." 

Diaphragm cramping making it impossible to breath deeply after 30 miles or so. If anyone looks at the graphs in the link above, the hr is most telling. Notice how it slowly creeps downward. I had little left to give after about a marathon. 

Overall, lots of tortuous fun and sun, no injuries save some blisters, had my family with me, and got to see some beautiful land. Big success. Next?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

If anybody's interested:

(Cut and paste into your browser) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37726178

Analysis of my race. Long and short of it: BRUTAL. Steep, rocky, hot, stinging nettles, blisters, 2 giant climbs in first 20 miles that whooped me for the rest of the race. Hit my goal however of 40 miles under 9 hours. The race was 41 however (doh!), making my final time look weak. 8:58 sounds better than 9:15 or whatever it was. I was gassed by mile 20, ready to pack it in at 30. Like Buzzie, I dug deep. Two mantras that got me through: "Run when you can, walk when you have to", and "You have reserves you don't even know about." 

Diaphragm cramping making it impossible to breath deeply after 30 miles or so. If anyone looks at the graphs in the link above, the hr is most telling. Notice how it slowly creeps downward. I had little left to give after about a marathon. 

Overall, lots of tortuous fun and sun, no injuries save some blisters, had my family with me, and got to see some beautiful land. Big success. Next?

Way to HTFU - congratulations!!

BTW - I've added to, "Run when you can, walk when you have to." "And, if you can't walk, try running."

Should have done this at Umstead; but, hadn't thought of it yet. Tried it at Mohican - felt and worked much better than walking, except it would quickly tie my butt up in knots again (sending my knee into unspeakable pain).

Liz

pace sera, sera

Sheesh, thanks for all the feedback. Where is everybody? Y'all hurt my iddy biddy feelings.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

under a rock

Sheesh, thanks for all the feedback. Where is everybody? Y'all hurt my iddy biddy feelings.

Sorry, I've been laying low on the interwebs lately so I haven't been by here much lately. Great to hear that your body held up well. Nothing says fun like bugs, heat, and huge hills to run! I think we're all in for a long hot summer this side of the country.

So what's next on your plate?

Some 50 close by. Haven't pinned it down yet.

Hey Greg - Great job on your run, friend!  Way to gut it out.  Sorry I haven't commented sooner, but I've been AWOL since last Wednesday.  My buddy, Kate, ran Western States, and her sister (my buddy, Karen) and I got the privilege of crewing for her.  So much to tell, but suffice to say it was an absolutely freaking fabulous five days!!  I'm going to write a crewing report, and you are forewarned - it will be long.

Take care, fellow trail running freaks ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Greg,

Sorry, I've also been laying low.  Lots of visitors and work's been nuts.  I should have some time to read your report this coming week though.

I'm heading out to the Hardrock 100, so catch you guys on the flip side!

GOOD LUCK, CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Greg,

Sorry, I've also been laying low.  Lots of visitors and work's been nuts.  I should have some time to read your report this coming week though.

I'm heading out to the Hardrock 100, so catch you guys on the flip side!

I'll be thinking of you out there, Chris.  Have a great time and good luck!

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                            Now THAT'S a race. Good luck man. Any time goals?

Read both Krupicka's and Roe's race reports. I only wish I could run 100 miles, and the way they do. I can't fathom that kind of fitness. Then again, I'm not young like them nor do I have 20+ hours a week to train.