Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - April 2008 (Read 349 times)

Kelly - I keep looking at my yard and wondering when I'm going to start tackling it. And - gotta love those gift certificates! I llike to shop when I get out of our little area here. We have crappy stores for clothes shopping unless you're a teenie bopper or over 60, especially work clothes (slacks, blouses, etc.). So unfortunately for my credit card, whenever my girlfriends and I leave the area, we have a tendency to go bananas. Greg - Intestinal issues while running - been there, done that, didn't make it home once. . . . yeah . . . . The run on Saturday went as well as could be expected, considering I hadn't done any type of physical activity for 3 days (it doesn't take long, does it??). I was spent at the end of the 2.75 hours, but unless something goes completely haywire, I'm still on for the 50k. I want to use an 8/2 run/walk ratio, but it's very hard to practice it on the trails on which we run. It's a fairly hill area, and there's not enough flats to practice an 8/2. So, I'm going to have to practice on my Friday 1.5 hour road runs. And speaking of road runs, I bought a new pair of road shoes Saturday, ran in them for the first time this morning, had a PR for 5 miles (49:34), and my back isn't feeling too bad right now (knock on wood). Yea!!! I've decided to give HR training a try and am seeking opinions on monitors. Either of you ever use the Garmin 301 or 305? Have a good week.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Glad to hear the race is still on. Go for it. I use a Garmin 305. I love it. I'd get the new one if I hadn't just bought the 305. There is a low heart rate training group on this board with some really knowledgeable people there. Read the stickies at the top of the board and all the links to the sources. It should only take you about a week Smile Formationflier, aka Jesse Leitner had a great thread on Coolrunning, almost a board within a board. He's had great success, running 7:20 miles at hr of 140 or so. You don't need the Garmin if you only want a hr monitor. You can buy one of those cheap online for 50 -70 bucks. Timex and Polar make good ones. The Garmin is a little computer with GPS. That's the piece I love. I can just go run and not worry about how far I've gone as it tracks my distance. Also, with the software, I can graph all kinds of data, hr, speed, distance, etc... Real nice tool. I thought it would be more than I needed but I love it. I can actually know how long and fast I've run through the woods without having to estimate it. Now this goes for both of you: I DO NOT want to hear about any shopping, unless it pertains to running. Capice?! Grazie.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

I currently have a Garmin 201. I love it, but I like the idea of having a piece that does everything. And, if one goes out on you, you'd still have the other . I have this continuing nightmare of my Garmin dying right before an event. I mean realistically, how long do these suckers last before they need a new battery or something?

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I could'nt say as I've only had mine since Dec or so. I know the batteries only last like 8-10 hours in an event before they need recharging though.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

The chargeable hours are a problem for me. My current Garmin lasts 13-14 hours. With the 305 lasting only 10 hours, right now that would barely get me through a 50k (PCTR has a 9-hour time limit).

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Run faster.

You're very funny . . . Tongue

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

I use a Polar RS 200 I think. I have a foot pod but never use it. I don't think it's that accurate on trails. It serves my needs but I have been thinking that when it's time for a new one of switching to a Garmin or something else. On another note, I passed my running coach test! I got a 94 out of 100! Jack passed too. We're supposed to go to a trail race this weekend in MA but my ex called to say he's working so now we have the kids for the weekend which isn't a bad thing but throws a wrench into our weekend plans. Never a dull moment and it's a good thing my head is attached or I would have lost it by now! Kelly
                  If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Congratulations, Coach Kelly! I ordered the Garmin 301. I like the idea of the 5 extra hours of battery life compared to the 305. GPS isn't a big thing with me since I don't count the miles on trails, only the hours (unless it's an event, then I go into it knowing how far I have to run.) Hopefully, it'll be here in a few days. I'm also bidding on a Lemond RevMaster stationary bike on eBay. I'm not giving myself much of a chance, considering what my bidding limit will be, but keep your fingers crossed for me anyway. I've been wanting a stationary bike, and after talking to my PT Tuesday about HR training, etc., I have come to the conclusion that my aerobics DVDs aren't doing a damn thing for me. My physical fitness level is beyond what they do. Until I get a stationary bike, I'm trying to figure out what I can do for my cross training cardio. I work for an attorney on the side and he owns a local fitness club. I may try to wrangle some kind of deal from him so I can use the gym once a week to ride a bike. I don't want to pay $45/month for a once a week use. Okay - I'm starting a May thread, so don't post here anymore!!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance