Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - March 2009 (Read 374 times)

Hey all - I'm back from Conference and have a new schedule from my coach, so I'm back on the workout wagon as of tomorrow with the goal of McDonald Forest in May. Will sign up for the 15k, get my finisher's medal, then go run another loop to get a 30k run in. With surgery and then vacation in a few weeks, I know I won't be up for the entire 50k. Have a good one!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

No running for me for the last week. I've been hitting the weights. I have a new job working in Hopice care as a social worker. Lot's of good benefits to this position. I will start in 2, maybe 3 weeks. Current employer wants a 4 week notice. 4 weeks! I didn't know, so when they offered me the job, I said I'd start in 2 weeks. I said I'd call and ask for another week. Funny, they could have given me a 2 week notice at any moment, but they want a 4 week notice from me. Fair?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

First of all - congratulations on getting a new job so quickly. Good for you! Your current employer is requiring 4 weeks' notice, even though they told you they were going to have to lay you off? No, that doesn't seem fair. Got in a 3.25 mile run this a.m. with about 30 min of light strength training. Saturday I do my first trail run in over 3 weeks. We'll see how it goes. Will take it nice and easy.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Glad you found a job so quickly Buddo! Can't you just tell your currently employer to piss up a rope? If my employer gave me notice they were laying me off and I found another job before my end date I'd be inclined to tell them where to go... unless maybe it affects your severance package?
            Here's a quick photo from Saturday's long run: Stephanie Ehret and Kari Fraser running Hall Ranch outside of Lyons, CO. Longs Peak (14,256') in the background.
              Nice photo, Chris! No run this a.m. as I am feeling slightly more than mild pain in the belly button area. Think I pushed it too hard yesterday. Oh well. Roll eyes Will give it a nice easy try tomorrow a.m. Our local country radio station started its 7th Annual St. Jude's Hospital Marathon this morning to help raise money for the hospital. Interspersed with songs are stories from parents who kids have been or are involved with St. Jude's. I tell ya, the stories are heartbreaking, but also so touching at the same time. That is a very, very special place, and those of you with healthy kids, give 'em an extra kiss and hug today and send up a prayer of thanks that all you have to fight is the occasional cold or flu episode.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

"...piss up a rope..", I like it. I understand why they want 4 weeks, so as to help transition the boys to new therapists and minimize the effects of the change as much as possible. I told my new employer what was going on and she said she wanted to see me on the 16th, so I said okay. Going away lunch next Friday, my last day. No severance package as I am resigning. Thanks for the congrats. I was glad to get something so fast. I have 4 kids to take care of . Sorry about the belly Leslie. Slow and steady, stress and recover. I got my groove back and ran twice this week. Long run Saturday. I have my eyes on the Highlands Sky 40 miler in June in WV. A 50k or 50 miler per month after that if I can keep my miles up. I'm shriveling up from all the running and hit the weights all last week in rebellion. Achilles in left foot real painful too. Trying to rehab it. Adding in some barefoot running when I can with the goal of doing all my roadwork during the week barefoot with sandals on the trails. Hit some cold patches of snow today and had to throw the shoes back on. It's all good. Thanks for the pic Chris. I'll be glad if I can ever figure out how to post a pic again. Kelly, how's the new job? Kitrin? Hello?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Oh, and damn Runners World! They ran an article on the Wasatch 100 glorifying my beloved trail running. AND, they reviewed trail shoes. AND several advertisements about trail shoes in there. Seems the runing industries (shoes, clothes, etc..) has found a market that hasn't been exploited yet. Pisses me off. Same thing happened when I started getting tribal tattoos. I had em before every poser did. Now I look like a poser. I've been trail running before all these posers started. They better stay off my trails that's all I got to say. MY TRAILS I SAY!! Go away. Leave my radical sport alone. Dont' make it normal. I'm getting too old for other extreme sports. This is all I got left. Cry

Same thing happened when I started getting tribal tattoos. I had em before every poser did. Now I look like a poser. I've been trail running before all these posers started.
                    Big grin I only have two tattoos, but I got them YEARS ago. And then it seemed to become a fad, and now I feel like I have to explain that I didn't jump on the bandwagon with everyone else. Same with country music. I've listened to it since I was a baby, literally. My own cousins made fun of me when we were kids 'cause I listened to it more than the pop music of the day. Barbara Mandrell's "I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool" - me, all me. And then suddenly it was The Thing and EVERYONE was into country (especially that line dance crap and "dance versions" of songs. WTH is that all about ?!?). I told my cousins to bite me. Wink

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

My longest run this a.m. since surgery - 4 miles - and cripes! Who knew 4 miles could be so dang tuff? Am suppose to be keeping my HR under 160 for now. Yeah right. Av Pace/Best/HR 1. 10:11/9:10/145 2. 10:21/8:34/161 3. 9:48/8:07/160 4. 10:30/8:49/160 And most of Miles 3-4 were at a decline. I have a sneaking suspicion that tomorrow's trail run is going to include a lot of walking. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hang in there Leslie...the first few weeks coming off surgery really suck, but you'll bounce back pretty quick!!
                          Did 5.60 witha 15:05 ap before I called it quits 'cause my tummy was getting sore, but nothing some ibu didn't help take care of. Karen is in recovery mode after a 50k then a week of skiing, so we walked the ups and ran the downs. And boy were my quads tired! But it felt really good to be out there again after so long. The Foggy Bottoms Milk Run is tomorrow, so the regular running club that puts in a few miles on Saturday wasn't there. We basically had the forest to ourselves. Very nice!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Glad to hear you're back at it. keep it up. I ran 10 miles. I've ditched the hr monitor as a master and now just wear it to track what's going on in my run-pace, distance, hr, speed, elevation, etc... I had a great, freeing run Saturday. 5:30 am in the Wiss. Ran for 5 minutes then realized the ambient light reflecting off the low cloud ceiling was enough that I could see without my headlight and my flashlight. I ran for 2 hours in the dark. It was awesome! I could see perfectly and the trails are technical. Lots of fun. I fully have my motivation fired up currently and am focusing on the Highlands Sky 40 miler in WV in June, then maybe the Pinhoti 100 in Novemeber if I can keep my mojo and the miles up. Hope all is well with everybody. Take care. Did my first barefoot trail run today. About a mile on the trail, cool soft mud, dodged the rocks and sticks. No problems. 2 miles on asphalt. All good baby.

All good baby.
                              Big grin I did myself in with the run on Saturday, and then a little too much fun Saturday night at Arts Alive. Ended up on the dance floor at the last place and paid mightily for it yesterday and today, and I'm not talking just hang over, although that was definitely an issue yesterday. The muscles around my belly button area are really PO'd, so I didn't run this morning, and we'll have to see about tomorrow. Black eye My own stupidity.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Buddo... an ultra in June in WV sounds really cool... especially if the mountain laurel are still blooming then. I used to do some climbing at Seneca Rocks. Beautiful state! Headed out for our night run soon. Gotta love spring in the Rockies. Last Wed it was 76F. It snowed Saturday. Was 61F yesterday. Today it went from 40 to 23 in one hour... and still dropping fast. Looks like a low of 15 tonight. Which sucks because I turned on the sprinklers last week. Should have known better. Gah.